• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 4.......Guess the grade

39 posts in this topic

Here it is......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ASM4-1.jpg

.....it was once a subscription copy, with very little color breaking wear....I used to say I'd never own a subscription copy....but I've changed my mind. It has full gloss and color. When I saw the scan I knew there had to be something wrong with the book.....but instead of calling for grader's notes, I decided to take a gamble and trust a CGC 5.0 to be the decent (and complete) book that it usually is. One bonus is a small date stamp on the first page of "May 31, 1963" .....which means the subscriber had the book at LEAST a week earlier than the newstand.

Wow! What a disparity between everyone's grades and what CGC actually gave this comic book. No one was even close! :o

I was just about to post 5.0 when jimjum12 revealed the grade...

:jokealert:

Definitely presents phenomenally for the grade!

ASM4-1.jpg

.....it was once a subscription copy, with very little color breaking wear....I used to say I'd never own a subscription copy....but I've changed my mind. It has full gloss and color. When I saw the scan I knew there had to be something wrong with the book.....but instead of calling for grader's notes, I decided to take a gamble and trust a CGC 5.0 to be the decent (and complete) book that it usually is. One bonus is a small date stamp on the first page of "May 31, 1963" .....which means the subscriber had the book at LEAST a week earlier than the newstand.

:o 5.0

That books presents SOOOOOOO well

ASM4-1.jpg

Wow... the old invisible sub-crease trick! lol

Banner had a Hulk 4 like that years ago.

Abunch of scenarios were running through my mind when I decided to go for it..... detached centerfold? large piece missing inside ? significant tape inside ? Clark Gable mustache drawn on Parker in every panel ?......the one thing I didn't consider was sub copy. It's now out of the slab and I don't think it's been pressed and it would help this book.....I guess Heritage doesn't press everything.....but I never thought they did. In hand I can see the 5.0......but "wow!"....GOD BLESS....

I apologize but now you have to explain me what a "subscription copy" is.

I have grown familiar with 1940s (or 1950s) books which have address labels on the front cover, but… this?

Really beautiful, Jimbo, one of the few Spidey issues I’d love to have (I have always been a big fan of the Sandman, and disliked the way some other recent Spidey writer mishandled the character after the great job they did on him when he reformed in the 1980s. Well, in fact I dislike almost everything Marvel has done in the last ten years… lol

I apologize but now you have to explain me what a "subscription copy" is.

I have grown familiar with 1940s (or 1950s) books which have address labels on the front cover, but… this?

Really beautiful, Jimbo, one of the few Spidey issues I’d love to have (I have always been a big fan of the Sandman, and disliked the way some other recent Spidey writer mishandled the character after the great job they did on him when he reformed in the 1980s. Well, in fact I dislike almost everything Marvel has done in the last ten years… lol

It was quite common for comics to be mailed to subscription customers. Unfortunately subscription copies were folded once for mailing leaving a permanent fold down the middle of the long axis of the book.

That's a lovely book Jimbo. Presents so very well it's a winner all day long.

ASM4-1.jpg

Man everyone knocked me for the 7.5 that I was second guessing myself.

I don't know what you paid for it, but I'd be happy with a 5.0 of ASM 4 any day of the week!

Abunch of scenarios were running through my mind when I decided to go for it..... detached centerfold? large piece missing inside ? significant tape inside ? Clark Gable mustache drawn on Parker in every panel ?......the one thing I didn't consider was sub copy. It's now out of the slab and I don't think it's been pressed and it would help this book.....I guess Heritage doesn't press everything.....but I never thought they did. In hand I can see the 5.0......but "wow!"....GOD BLESS....

That is a great looking book regardless. Goodluck if you decide to get it pressed. What a score if you can get a huge bump in grade. I still cant see the colour break in the sub crease and I've been staring at it for a long time. Maybe it's my monitor. (shrug)

ASM4-1.jpg

:o 5.0

That books presents SOOOOOOO well

I grade this book KK...Killer Keeper! Nice book Jim! :headbang: