• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2022 at 5:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

How'd you do? Or will you peek?

I was pleasantly surprised twice as many times as I was negatively surprised, so I am calling that a big win. The only downer is the biggest book that I thought was flawless ended up at 9.6 instead of 9.8. C'est la vie. 

On 3/16/2022 at 5:00 PM, Stefan_W said:

I was pleasantly surprised twice as many times as I was negatively surprised, so I am calling that a big win. The only downer is the biggest book that I thought was flawless ended up at 9.6 instead of 9.8. C'est la vie. 

Si senior! Not too shabby a'tall!!!

On 3/16/2022 at 5:32 PM, lonetree said:

There is just no consistency with CGC grading.  Sent in 50 Amazing Spider-Man #625-650 books.  All unread and purchased from Midtown Comics when they came out.  All stored together in a a long box since they came out.  I pre-screened these books and expected about (18) 9.8s in each lot.  One batch has (4) 9.8s and the next batch has (19) 9.8s.  Seriously - that much of a difference?  Most of the grader notes on the bad batch of books state "light creasing on cover" with a couple "crunch right bottom of back cover".

CGC1.jpg

CGC2.jpg

It's possible some of the books got creased on or at the way to CGC. One of my submissions in the past came back with about five books with a crease all in the exact spot.

Edited by Tnexus

On 3/16/2022 at 6:05 PM, Tnexus said:

It's possible some of the books got creased on or at the way to CGC. One of my submissions in the past came back with about five books with a crease all in the exact spot.

Had a batch of books ~1yr ago,the middle 4 of about 8 had same, small corner crush. Almost as if the batch was picked up and middle fell out. Only two were worth fixing, let the others ride. So is it rare? Exceedingly, but still possible damage en route or once in hand despite best case efforts. 

On 3/16/2022 at 1:33 PM, JJ-4 said:

So by your logic In-N-Out Burger just kept raising prices until they got to a $20 burger because they could?

I don't disagree that BlackRock is poised to do this, just thinking about actual successful businesses that don't keep inflating prices for short term profit as the long game is worth so much more.

Correct.

Especially In-N-Out Burger.

They are building one across the street for me as we speak! ^^

However I said without loosing customers in droves.

Look at DisneyWorld.  People complain and complain but yet the parks are still full.  Changes to pricing will only come if CGC is bored and has no books to grade.  

On 3/16/2022 at 6:05 PM, Tnexus said:

I honestly like the old days where a CGC representative would call and ask if I still wanted to grade some books that were damaged during shipping. Nowadays it's just like an assembly line. Just keep everything moving along the conveyor.

On 3/16/2022 at 3:08 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I assume CGC will keep raising their prices every year now till they see a slow down in CGC submissions

Which I have to admit I would raise my prices as well every year if the demand is there. 

The goal of every single for profit business = make as much profit as you can without losing business. 

I agree that if the submissions keep coming, the market will adjust for the higher grading fees, just like it did when EBay started charging sales tax. Heck, I remember the old days when grading cost $12 per book (after a 20% dealer discount), but still had a hard time moving some of the run of the mill 9.8 books for more than $30. Nowadays I can easily get $50 for those types of books.

The only thing that could impact higher prices is inconsistent grading. If CGC's approach moving forward is to keep accepting more submissions (while hiring and training new inexperienced staff), the quality could suffer, which would result in lower returns for sellers. 

I keep coming back to this thread hoping for a miracle.  My books at CCS (including VALUE tier books) have passed the 8 month mark so I wait in limbo. I can't even track them.  Thats just too much. 

Doesn't seem like CGC will priotize the oldest submissions any time soon let alone VALUE submissions.  

Honestly, I would rather just have my books back at this point.  

On 3/16/2022 at 5:03 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Correct.

Especially In-N-Out Burger.

They are building one across the street for me as we speak! ^^

However I said without loosing customers in droves.

Look at DisneyWorld.  People complain and complain but yet the parks are still full.  Changes to pricing will only come if CGC is bored and has no books to grade.  

Except the In-N-Out Burger isn't $20.  It's actually the same price or slightly cheaper than what you would pay at other fast food restaurants.  So by your logic they would just keep increasing prices ($20 burger) until they lost customers.  They've done the opposite, kept quality up, hired more staff, and kept their core customers extremely happy so they have great word of mouth and don't have to spend any money on marketing.

Can you imagine if they had a In-N-Out chat board where people said they kept jacking the prices, they always got the order wrong, the food wasn't fresh any more and there was only 1 person working the drive thru.  In-N-Out Burger as run by Blackrock.  Huge short term profits and on the way to becoming the opposite of a Winnah.

Had some great movement this week!

VALUE

Received 8/11/21

24 books

Shipped 3/15/22

VALUE

Received 8/11/21

12 books

Shipped 3/15/22

MODERN

Received 10/28/21

21 books

From SFG to GEI 3/17/22

On 3/16/2022 at 1:33 PM, JJ-4 said:

So by your logic In-N-Out Burger just kept raising prices until they got to a $20 burger because they could?

I don't disagree that BlackRock is poised to do this, just thinking about actual successful businesses that don't keep inflating prices for short term profit as the long game is worth so much more.

Sure, In-N- Out can raise their prices. They only have about 25 other burger joints to compete with, so why not?

Does anyone know where things are at with modern pre-screens? I have a shipment of moderns heading back starting today, and my pre-screen moderns got to CGC about 4 days ahead of the other group. The web page said 15 working days at the time for pre-screens, but some people have said that the pre-screens have been taking much longer. 

On 3/17/2022 at 1:39 PM, cd4ever said:

Very excited to see my Value books again soon! 2 price hikes ago. 

image.thumb.png.e012dcab8b1605cc6d467413b5ac7b6b.png

Ah they did jump back up to the top?

I had some 11/02 moderns that never left the page, but when shipped they didn't jump to the top either. Had me worried about my economy that are somewhat close to leaving the page, from October.

Speaking of which, any news on economy? Last I heard was maybe September econ being worked on? The nothing not even shipped for a while now....

On 3/16/2022 at 5:32 PM, lonetree said:

There is just no consistency with CGC grading.  Sent in 50 Amazing Spider-Man #625-650 books.  All unread and purchased from Midtown Comics when they came out.  All stored together in a a long box since they came out.  I pre-screened these books and expected about (18) 9.8s in each lot.  One batch has (4) 9.8s and the next batch has (19) 9.8s.  Seriously - that much of a difference?  Most of the grader notes on the bad batch of books state "light creasing on cover" with a couple "crunch right bottom of back cover".

CGC1.jpg

CGC2.jpg

Brutal grades on that first sub.  Man, a modern book at 9.2 or less is pretty much worthless unless you want to hold onto it for decades.  And you got 10 of 25.  Ooof.