• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,073 posts in this topic

What the hell is going on with Economy service??

Received: 8/11/21
Items: 8
Service: ECONOMY

has anyone received their books back from August?

On 3/31/2022 at 12:21 PM, skybolt said:

It's definitely a case by case basis. Over the past 2 months I've gotten back 7 submissions. The first 2 were pressed and graded to perfection. The next 3 submissions were graded somewhat harshly, but consistent with how CGC has graded books in the past when they tighten the screws a bit. However, my last 2 submissions were likely graded by someone using a completely different criteria than all the previous submissions. For example, on average, 75-80% of books are graded to match or exceed what I was expecting. Worst case scenario, I'm about 50% correct. The last 2 submissions came back with only 3 out of 43 books graded as 9.8. I inspected all the books and still can't figure out how most of them didn't get a 9.8 grade. 

Out of curiosity were they all the same tier/speed?  My last MODERN SLOW got horrible grades.  My last MODERN FAST got expected grades.  Wondering if they are maybe giving the books you pay more to grade to the experienced graders and the cheap stuff to the newbies...

On 4/1/2022 at 7:48 AM, Petroman said:

Out of curiosity were they all the same tier/speed?  My last MODERN SLOW got horrible grades.  My last MODERN FAST got expected grades.  Wondering if they are maybe giving the books you pay more to grade to the experienced graders and the cheap stuff to the newbies...

Out of my last three modern slows I got roughly the grades I was expecting (there are always a couple higher and a couple lower). 

I feel you may be on to something.  I have experienced similar through slow and fast, but it could be coincidence.  Also, I have noticed that if you send pedigree books in, even in economy/value tier, they are generally returned quicker and are more consistently and fairly graded.  

On 4/1/2022 at 6:48 AM, Petroman said:

I thought this myself; however, I had a standard submission which I paid dearly for that was terrible.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:48 AM, Petroman said:

The last 2 submissions that received extremely low grades were slow modern. As soon as they went from SFG to G/E/I to Grading/QC to shipped in a matter of 2 hours, I had a bad feeling. 

In all honesty I would understand it more if CGC tightened their grading across the board, than sitting on pins and needles hoping for an experienced person to grade your books. 

Comparing 

Same here. And, to compare, my CBCS grades have come back almost exactly as I expected, so how can I be so far off with one company and spot on with another?  I also have noticed spine tiks on returned CGC books that were not there when I sent them (and I have shipped thousands of books, so I know how to get them there safely).  And other books' grader notes (on a modern book) that say "light spine tiks", brought the grade to 8.0 :O ) but I'm seeing nothing upon intense scrutiny.  I seriously think the labels got mixed up, especially how often people post pics of returned books with labels from completely different books.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:01 AM, optimal_max said:

Comparing 

Same here. And, to compare, my CBCS grades have come back almost exactly as I expected, so how can I be so far off with one company and spot on with another?  I also have noticed spine tiks on returned CGC books that were not there when I sent them (and I have shipped thousands of books, so I know how to get them there safely).  And other books' grader notes (on a modern book) that say "light spine tiks", brought the grade to 8.0 :O ) but I'm seeing nothing upon intense scrutiny.  I seriously think the labels got mixed up, especially how often people post pics of returned books with labels from completely different books.

Just got back a 44 pre-screen with 16 rejects.  Never have I had so many not pass.  I can't even see why they were rejected, they look perfect and I usually only get 1 or 2, and then it's pretty obvious why.  I also noticed the return of the Newton Rings, which I thought they had taken care of but almost every single book had one.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:23 AM, J RANDALL said:

Just got back a 44 pre-screen with 16 rejects.  Never have I had so many not pass.  I can't even see why they were rejected, they look perfect and I usually only get 1 or 2, and then it's pretty obvious why.  I also noticed the return of the Newton Rings, which I thought they had taken care of but almost every single book had one.

Lower grading and prescreen rejects mean more resubmissions and more profit.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:23 AM, J RANDALL said:

Really sorry to hear that. I just feel like some of these new graders are grading 9.8 books as borderline 9.9's.  In the past, I would have about 70% of my books pressed (with the rest going straight to grading). Moving forward I may just go 90% pressed. I don't want to take any chances with a new grader downgrading a 30-40 year old book because the spine is not perfectly flat like recent modern books.

TAT seems to be accelerating a bit. Definitely seems to be completed in a 48 hr window of time or so once an order goes to grading status.

24x Modern (no extra services)
Delivered: 11/23
Rcvd: 11/29
SFG: 11/29
G/E/I: 3/25
QC: 3/25
Shipped: 3/28

3x Standard (no extra services)
Delivered: 3/2
Rcvd: 3/17
SFG: 3/17
G/E/I: 3/24
QC: 3/25
Shipped: 3/28

I am "Waiting on a Friend," and it may be a long wait since CGC "received" my 35 comic book submission (Modern, slow track) on March 8, 2022; the comic books were delivered to CGC on Saturday, February 12, 2022, and acknowledged as received on Monday, (correction) February March 14.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

On 3/24/2022 at 3:22 PM, dikran1 said:

My April 2021 Value went to CGC SFG on Monday. Only 8 more months to go… 😭😭😭😭😭

25 Value CCS Received 04-17-2021

SFG 03-21-2022

GEI 01-04-2022 :wishluck:

25 Modern slow

Received CGC 12-09

GEI GQc 03-30

Shipped 04-01 :headbang: didn't see any major problems with grades maybe 2-3 surprises (like I always get)