• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,076 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2022 at 8:47 AM, skybolt said:

I was talking to my local comic store owner and mentioned the same the thing to him. He said he submits books for many customers and wishes the change in grades was due to tightened grading across the board. Unfortunately, his customers are seeing the same thing we're seeing here, which is one submission graded consistently with how CGC has been doing it for years, while the other one gets hammered.

For example, I've gotten 8 submissions graded over the past 2 months. I'm batting between 50-60% for 9.8 graded books with 6 submissions and around 7% with the other 2.

On 4/11/2022 at 9:02 AM, Poekaymon said:

Could be they are tougher now, though I haven’t seen that in my own submissions. It could also just be regression to the mean and bandwagoning. If you flip a coin long enough, at some point you’ll get tails 20 times in a row. It’s not necessarily a conspiracy—it’ll still be very close to 50-50 in the long run. You might just be flipping tails at the moment. 

I am submitting another batch of 20 books which is ready to be picked up by UPS later today. This one has a mixture of some Bronze, Copper, and Modern age books. I cleaned and pressed these myself, spending quite a bit of time on some of the books as they needed quite a bit of work. I also added one walkthrough Punisher #1 Limited Series which should hit 9.6-9.8, but who knows how the grader will be feeling that day. It will be interesting to see if some of my books get hammered badly or not. I made the mistake of placing 2 Moon Knight #1's from 1980 in there because I fear they end up giving both the same grade as I had that happen on another set of books in the last submission.

My last submission a few weeks ago had a few books that had me really scratching my head with one book being graded as a 9.4 when it should of easily hit a 9.8.

I so wish that grader notes were mandatory, even if it was 1 or 2 lines because you can't tell half the time what caused the grade to drop.

Edited by captainzombie

On 4/11/2022 at 11:29 AM, captainzombie said:

I made the mistake of placing 2 Moon Knight #1's from 1980 in there because I fear they end up giving both the same grade as I had that happen on another set of books in the last submission.

At least if they come back with the same grade you won't have to forever wonder if they swapped the labels. 

On 4/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, wombat said:

At least if they come back with the same grade you won't have to forever wonder if they swapped the labels. 

LOL! In my last submission, I had 2 different numbered Batman books where they both received the same exact grade and grader notes. The one books should of probably of gotten a 6.0, but they gave me an 8.0 on both. The other book had a slight issue, and should of been a 9.4 but gets the same grade as the other book.

On 4/6/2022 at 6:10 PM, skybolt said:

One of the two slow modern 12/6 submissions just shipped.

Best case scenario was 23 - 9.8's and 2 - 9.6's. Got back 14 - 9.8's, 5 - 9.6's, 5 - 9.4's and 1 - 9.2. No grader notes.

Honestly, after only getting 3 of 43 books graded as 9.8's with my last 2 submissions, I'll take these results.

Just got the books back today and inspected each one very carefully. I will be completely honest and say that CGC did a great job grading these books. Overall, I completely understood why 10 of 11 books did not receive a 9.8 grade, and I'm sure I'm missing something with the last one. There were a couple of 9.4's that looked more like 9.6's, but I'm not too concerned about that.

On 4/12/2022 at 1:54 PM, Ed Hanes said:

FAST TRACK ECONOMY 10 items in the cue to be opened...will probably get these back before the slow economy received in september

Do you (or anyone) know whether Fast Track books are opened sooner than ones in the slow track? CGC does not promise a quicker opening for these books (unlike higher tiers like walk through), but it seems to make sense to move them a bit higher in the triage since people are paying extra for faster service. 

On 4/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Stefan_W said:

Do you (or anyone) know whether Fast Track books are opened sooner than ones in the slow track? CGC does not promise a quicker opening for these books (unlike higher tiers like walk through), but it seems to make sense to move them a bit higher in the triage since people are paying extra for faster service. 

no, the fast track economy is not opened before the slow track, to my knowledge...it just makes turnaround after opening a lot quicker than slow track

Edited by Ed Hanes

1 George Perez Signature Series w/ Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

2/22: Received at CCS

4/6: SFG/Do Not Encapsulate

1 Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley Signature Series w/Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

3/3: Received at CCS

1 Chris Claremont Signature Series w/Pressing

3/17: Delivered to CGC

4/12: Received at CCS