• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2022 at 12:29 PM, toro said:

A little muzak to while we wait  for our submissions

Please hold, your call is very important to us and will be answered by the next available agent.

On 6/1/2022 at 6:33 AM, eastriver31400 said:
On 5/31/2022 at 7:35 PM, Beastfeast said:

ABPbwMy.jpg

The difference between FT and slow Economy is ABSURDDDDDDD.

Wow. That’s bold.  

Don't complain.  Technically, FT says it only reduces TAT by about half.  So they could say an EFT should be graded in about 100 days!

On 6/1/2022 at 7:21 PM, Stefan_W said:

Just got back from a short holiday and there was some movement on a couple of orders while I was away.

Fast track submission with 9 moderns:

SFG - 5/25/2022, G/E/I - 5/27/2022, QC and shipped on 6/01/2022 (generally good but two results were head scratchers)

Slow Track submission with 25 moderns at a 9.8 pre-screen:

SFG - 3/18/2022, G/E/I - 5/27/2022, no other movement yet. 

Slow track pre-screen hit Q/C and today (2 June) and marked as shipped for tomorrow, 3 June 2022. 

So I just had a 12 comic submission under Fast Track Modern complete in world record time — two day turnaround! (received May 31 and shipped today). However, the grades are awful. 11 of the issues were strong 9.8 candidates, but nine ended up at 9.6, and two at 9.4. The remaining comic I submitted for a friend. I had it pegged at 9.4-9.6... it came back 9.8. Go figure.

Edited by JJ Speederman

On 6/2/2022 at 3:00 PM, JJ Speederman said:

So I just had a 12 comic submission under Fast Track Modern complete in world record time — two day turnaround! (received May 31 and shipped today). However, the grades are awful. 11 of the issues were strong 9.8 candidates, but nine ended up at 9.6, and two at 9.4. The remaining comic I submitted for a friend. I had it pegged at 9.4... it came back 9.8. Go figure.

Was the 9.8 a newer book? I've had similar submissions where only books from the past 10 years receive the 9.8 grade. Some newer CGC graders are hammering 1980's and 90's books if they don't have perfectly flat spines, have some overlapping of the cover at the spine, book is slightly miss-cut, book has some production type scratches for hard stock covers, cover corners are naturally overhanging, etc.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:12 PM, skybolt said:

Was the 9.8 a newer book? I've had similar submissions where only books from the past 10 years receive the 9.8 grade. Some newer CGC graders are hammering 1980's and 90's books if they don't have perfectly flat spines, have some overlapping of the cover at the spine, book is slightly miss-cut, book has some production type scratches for hard stock covers, cover corners are naturally overhanging, etc.

I definitely got a new grader then. The 9.8 is an X-Men #4 from 1991. The rest are from the 80s and 90s (the only exception being a book from 1978). Also, no grader notes. Makes me worried about my other submission that's sitting there waiting to be graded.

Edited by JJ Speederman

On 6/2/2022 at 3:17 PM, JJ Speederman said:

I definitely got a new grader then. The 9.8 is an X-Men #4 from 1991. The rest are from the 80s and 90s (the only exception being a book from 1978). Also, no grader notes. Makes me worried about my other submission that's sitting there waiting to be graded.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:12 PM, skybolt said:

@skybolt and I have been talking about this the last month or so, there has to be some kind of an issue with whomever is grading books from the 80s and 90s. I have had so many books from that era get graded unfairly. For right now, I have decided to just stick with getting modern books from last 10-15 years graded and when I know that I want a book from the 80s/90s that is worth some money to be properly graded I'll just spend the money on a walkthrough. Some of these new graders I just do not think know what they are doing with books that range from the 80's to 90's.

Edited by captainzombie

5 Slow Turtle Economy books received on 8/21 is still SFG.

2 (Super) Slow Turtle Economy books (received on) 10/2 is still receiving at CCS (my personal check has not cashed).

14 Slow Track Modern books received on 3/18 is still SFG (some have later received dates and their books were already shipped (ahead of me) which makes me pissed off).

On 6/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, captainzombie said:

@skybolt and I have been talking about this the last month or so, there has to be some kind of an issue with whomever is grading books from the 80s and 90s. I have had so many books from that era get graded unfairly. For right now, I have decided to just stick with getting modern books from last 10-15 years graded and when I know that I want a book from the 80s/90s that is worth some money to be properly graded I'll just spend the money on a walkthrough. Some of these new graders I just do not think know what they are doing with books that range from the 80's to 90's.

My last submission was also Fast Track Modern — received April 14th and shipped April 20th. Eight of the nine comics were from the 80s and 90s, and seven got 9.8 (one lone 9.6). They are similar in quality (some maybe even slightly less) to the books in the submission that shipped today. CGC has a bit of a consistency issue I think.

Edited by JJ Speederman

On 6/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, captainzombie said:

I wonder if some of these so called "new graders" have actually been grading raw books in the industry for a long time, and are now projecting their own personal pet peeves (like not liking misswrapped books) onto CGC. It's extremely important that CGC guidelines are followed by all graders, and not having someone projecting their own grading style onto these submissions.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, WilliamLunt said:

The lack of graders notes boggles my mind. You pay for a service and it's a black box of 0 accountability.

Is it true that grades have to be aligned between multiple graders?

Are random books being spot checked by senior graders to ensure quality?

Couldn't agree more about the lack of grader notes. It's ridiculous. Also, grades are supposed to be spot checked.

Grading is a team effort, with multiple CGC professionals examining every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency. CGC's graders enter a grade for each collectible into CGC's computer system. A consensus is then reached on the final grade of the collectible.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/grading-process/

On 6/2/2022 at 5:59 PM, ak47po said:

ONE DAY.

Screenshot (55).png

That's crazy.  My MFT took about a week after to delivery to be entered and hasn't moved from SFG since.  Really defies any reason as to why they would have such a disparity of processing speeds within the same tier.  Maybe it has to do with the types of books in the submission (this sub was all Marvel from 1985-1993), maybe its just random, or maybe its something else.  Something tells me we'll never know.

image.thumb.png.412ef9e5650ac5d8df592eb160e3cb68.png

On 6/2/2022 at 3:43 PM, JJ Speederman said:

My last submission was also Fast Track Modern — received April 14th and shipped April 20th. Eight of the nine comics were from the 80s and 90s, and seven got 9.8 (one lone 9.6). They are similar in quality (some maybe even slightly less) to the books in the submission that shipped today. CGC has a bit of a consistency issue I think.

All of my submissions have been Fast Track Modern too. One order, I had loaded up with a lot of books from the 80s and 90s and now I regret doing that since I have quite the experience sending books in. I don't have the time and patience to go through all these books cracking them, repressing them and sending them in again to get hit with another $39.

They honestly have to figure this out with the books from the 80's-90's, because there are a lot of people on here complaining about it. Even some of the Youtubers that I watch have started complaining about this too.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:49 PM, skybolt said:

I wonder if some of these so called "new graders" have actually been grading raw books in the industry for a long time, and are now projecting their own personal pet peeves (like not liking misswrapped books) onto CGC. It's extremely important that CGC guidelines are followed by all graders, and not having someone projecting their own grading style onto these submissions.

Misswrappings should not be hit with a grade drop, yet they have been doing that of late. I had a Wolverine #1 1988 that had a miswrap but I cleaned up that book so nicely and pressed it to get any spine stress out, the grader ended up giving it a 9.2. I probably should of resubmitted it, but I ended up selling it.

Their graders should be consistent and if there are 2-3 people reviewing one book as they say they do, why isn't one of the other three saying, "hey, a miswrap is not an issue".

My biggest pet peeve is that we barely even get grader notes. I can see if they don't want to really give them out for 9.6 and above, but seriously, why are we not even getting them with the lower grades? If they keep raising their prices, this is something we should be getting with each single book.

Edited by captainzombie

On 6/2/2022 at 8:49 PM, captainzombie said:

All of my submissions have been Fast Track Modern too. One order, I had loaded up with a lot of books from the 80s and 90s and now I regret doing that since I have quite the experience sending books in. I don't have the time and patience to go through all these books cracking them, repressing them and sending them in again to get hit with another $39.

They honestly have to figure this out with the books from the 80's-90's, because there are a lot of people on here complaining about it. Even some of the Youtubers that I watch have started complaining about this too.

Misswrappings should not be hit with a grade drop, yet they have been doing that of late. I had a Wolverine #1 1988 that had a miswrap but I cleaned up that book so nicely and pressed it to get any spine stress out, the grader ended up giving it a 9.2. I probably should of resubmitted it, but I ended up selling it.

Their graders should be consistent and if there are 2-3 people reviewing one book as they say they do, why isn't one of the other three saying, "hey, a miswrap is not an issue".

My biggest pet peeve is that we barely even get grader notes. I can see if they don't want to really give them out for 9.6 and above, but seriously, why are we not even getting them with the lower grades? If they keep raising their prices, this is something we should be getting with each single book.

Honestly, even when I get grader notes on some of these harshly graded submissions, some of them don't make any sense. I had a 90's Superman book receive an 8.5 grade with a "crushed spine" designation. I'm looking at the book and all I see is one very minor spine stress line that barely breaks color. Lately, I've also been receiving a bunch of 9.2's with light rippling to cover designations. Unfortunately, some of the 90's books were manufactured that way.