• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,049 posts in this topic

MY items from June finally shipped today . question , no tracking numbers when they ship?

This is the email I got , no tracking number . Was hoping to be able to track the package so I can make sure someone is home when it arrives.

Pending Shipment Notice:

To:

KPV

Shipment 11/13/12

Carrier: USPS Manifesting ORIGIN 34240

Service: 1C

Tracking #:

from experience, as far as i can tell, they intend to send out tracking numbers but tracking numbers never come. i called once and was asked "didnt you get the tracking info?" i dont think they realize that they arent sending out tracking numbers. at least not for me they arent

MY items from June finally shipped today . question , no tracking numbers when they ship?

This is the email I got , no tracking number . Was hoping to be able to track the package so I can make sure someone is home when it arrives.

Pending Shipment Notice:

To:

KPV

Shipment 11/13/12

Tracking #:

did you check the email subject? should have R and some numbers . but it is USPS and their tracking is rubbish.

Pending Shipment Notice:

To:

KPV

Shipment 11/13/12

Tracking #:

did you check the email subject? should have R and some numbers . but it is USPS and their tracking is rubbish.

Thank you.There was a R and numbers in the title . DIdnt know that was the tracking number. It worked. Thank you so much,.

I have one invoice that was FTed from WW Austin with an invoice date of 10/31 that was "scheduled for grading" today (I called and got the grade). Meanwhile, my non-FT modern sub is still sitting at "received" 13 days later...

My non-FT modern invoice from WW Austin finally hit the verified stage today (invoice date 10/31). My FT invoice from the same show hit graded on the website today. So the business days for the FT invoice seem ok, but for it to take the same amount of time for the other invoice to even be verified is a bit worrying.

I have a question concerning the business model of CGC. Does anyone happen to know are they owned by a person/group that sees this as a long term business or do they themselves see it as a, relatively, short-term proposition. I only ask as they seem to put little money into actually growing the business but quite a bit of money into getting more and more submissions. One would think that they would invest more into the company, hire/train more graders, increase their output if they saw a great growth opportunity. Maybe they see it as maxed out as a business.

A bit of a conspiracy theory I realize, I am just pondering.

I don't think they view themselves as a short-term business, they've been around for 12 years. There is a theory out there that the persons/entities that own CGC make their money not off of submission fees, but off of the profit made in buying, selling, pressing/resubmitting 3rd-party certified books and the profits that have been made in the back issue market over the last 12 years. But that's just a theory, otherwise I have no frickin' idea why a company booming with business cannot increase the size of their company to meet the demands of their customers.

How exactly would that theory work? I mean, it's not like eBay is giving CGC a kickback for every slabbed book that gets sold on their site ... :shrug:

With the persons/entities buying books and slabbing them for resale themselves just like anyone else would do, except they are on the inside and have infuence over things like the acceptance of pressing getting a blue label. You can make hundreds/thousands on individual books this way, instead of the peanuts you generate with slabbing fees.

Not supporting the conspiracy theory, just giving my interpretation of what others have suggested.

In the "Can you fake a slabbed book?" thread (I think that's one of many where this has been discussed), it was pointed out that Jim Halperin is a 25% share-holder in CGC, and he's also the co-Chairman of Heritage Auction Galleries. Read the online Forbes article about this this gentleman and draw your own conclusions. Follow the money! :preach:

AFAIK, there's never been any official disclosure about what individuals make up the ownership of CGC. That's an interesting fact when you consider that the company's business is selling trust. If you don't know who owns the company, how can you trust their opinions?

Halperin did come on here and officially disclose that he and Ivy own some stock in CGC, though:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=34395&Number=625815

"1) My partner Steve Ivy and I own a minority position in CGC -- entirely non-voting stock. We have no control whatsoever over CGC grading, hiring, or company policy. It was purely a financial investment (and so far not an especially good one, though we like and admire the company and its managers very much). Neither we nor CGC have ever made any attempt to hide our investment from anyone. We get the same treatment from CGC as every other dealer, and we submit our books through the same anonymous process as everyone else. "

What I'm wondering is what happens to the ability to track invoices online that go longer than 6 months, as many are threatening to do. Since CGC only lets you see the past 6 months of invoices on your collector society web page, would say an economy submission that takes longer than 6 months disappear from your page before it is graded or shipped?

What I'm wondering is what happens to the ability to track invoices online that go longer than 6 months, as many are threatening to do. Since CGC only lets you see the past 6 months of invoices on your collector society web page, would say an economy submission that takes longer than 6 months disappear from your page before it is graded or shipped?

I would say you have no proof of ever giving the books and they get to keep them.

"1) My partner Steve Ivy and I own a minority position in CGC -- entirely non-voting stock. We have no control whatsoever over CGC grading, hiring, or company policy. It was purely a financial investment (and so far not an especially good one, though we like and admire the company and its managers very much). Neither we nor CGC have ever made any attempt to hide our investment from anyone. We get the same treatment from CGC as every other dealer, and we submit our books through the same anonymous process as everyone else. "

now 8 years later, I doubt he will say the investment is "not an especially good one" today

I would say you have no proof of ever giving the books and they get to keep them.

:signfunny:

My 15 day coupon, 10/15/2012, was just listed as graded. Grades were a little lower than I thought they would be, but, glad to see they finally got graded.

Not expensive books by any means, but, was running out of time to get something turned in.

Captain Marvel 1 Universal 6.0 WHITE

Captain Marvel 3 Universal 7.0 WHITE

Captain Marvel 4 Universal 9.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Had the CM #4 up in the PGM thread about a year or so back and the opinions were between 8.5 to 9.2 with a slight chance at 9.4, so everyone pretty much was spot on.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4937656&fpart=1

Wow, you're quite the catch, you want to meet my sisters?

Does anyone know where they are with Economies?

+1

Any recent info?

I had an Economy invoice from 6/27 get graded on Tuesday.

Good to know. Mine are from the same time frame. Another month to get slabbed and shipped and we'll be ready to go.

Edited by AlexH