• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

The sad thing is that PGX would be reading this thread and laughing. A lot of noobs that don't know any better will give them some business so they won't have to wait 6 months for thier books. Inadvertently, CGC is keeping PGX in work. Could anyone disagree with me on this? PGX isn't a viable option obviously but people that aren't on these boards and don't know any better will choose them for shorter turnaround times.

To all our customers:

All of us at CGC take pride in what we do. In order to accurately grade books they must each be given a certain amount of time and attention. We can’t shorten the grading process in order to move things along more quickly. We understand your frustration regarding grading turn around times and are doing everything in our power to reduce the time between submitting and receiving your graded and encapsulated books. Although being overwhelmed with submissions is a great issue that we don’t want to complain about, it is still an issue none the less. We’d like you to know that we are working 10 hour days and have been working six days a week in an attempt to alleviate the issues with turn around times. We are also looking to hire additional Graders. If you’d like more information or are interested in applying, please check the Careers page of our website for all the details.

Please be patient and keep in mind that we are doing our best to get your books back to you properly graded and encapsulated in order to maintain the integrity of what we do and the hobby we do it for.

Clearly, they are trying, and trying to make do improve, and maybe even making strides towards that. But would say that unless they're paying VERY well, its probably hard to find qualified graders to even train in Sarasota. So while they certainly should try to hire them, they might have larger gains by increasing in the other facets of their business, and hiring qualified people for accounting, shipping, recieving, admin, convention staff, etc. When I'm getting a CGC SS signature witness at a convention in Seattle on a Thursday by a guy who says he'll probably be the one who grades this comic later, I think "WTF???" Why is this guy (very nice guy) in Seattle??? Shouldn't he be in Florida grading when they have a crazy backlog??? Couldn't they have someone with a less specialized skillset watching someone sign a comic book 3000 miles away?

Did that message from CGC have a date on it mate?

This is currently the stupidest arguement going on right now in CGC world. Lets step it up people.

This is the stupidest argument right now

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6123956#Post6123956

People need to stop sending in until they catch up period.

Edited by reptilekingdie

This is currently the stupidest arguement going on right now in CGC world. Lets step it up people.

This is the stupidest argument right now

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6123956#Post6123956

People need to stop sending in until they catch up period.

You are joking right? You know people sell books to earn a living don't you? And what is in your opinion?

THAT is the stupidest argument hands down.

10 hour days.... Holy spoon. Don't try too hard you will burn out.

Just buy another Encapsulation Machine, add a 2nd shift, and hire more graders.

To train the new graders should be done on 2nd shift.

That's a good idea. I'm assuming you will be putting up the $ to purchase the machine, and hire a 2nd shift, and hire more graders? That's very nice of you.

CGC is a business, not a non-profit. They have to balance profits with keeping their customer base happy. With the amount of submissions they are getting, it doesn't seem like the turnaround time is hurting their business.

That's a good idea. I'm assuming you will be putting up the $ to purchase the machine, and hire a 2nd shift, and hire more graders? That's very nice of you.

CGC is a business, not a non-profit. They have to balance profits with keeping their customer base happy. With the amount of submissions they are getting, it doesn't seem like the turnaround time is hurting their business.

...Yet

I once worked for a company that had 3 shifts but their was a change of management and the new managers cut it down to 1 shift 12 hour days. Their customer were very angry, because parts weren't being shipped quickly enough. BUT the new managers wanted to show profit to the board of directors ( I'm thinking a hefty bonus at the year end). Eventually the company closed down because the company lost their biggest client (Honeywell) that was 80% of their business.

Edited by vane

I once worked for a company that had 3 shifts but their was a change of management and the new managers cut it down to 1 shift 12 hour days. Their customer were very angry, because parts weren't being shipped quickly enough. BUT the new managers wanted to show profit to the board of directors ( I'm thinking a hefty bonus at the year end). Eventually the company closed down because the company lost their biggest client (Honeywell) that was 80% of their business.

I agree they need to improve their turnaround and keep customers happy. But I'm sure in the example you are referring to, the customers turned to a competitor who could provide the same or similar product. If anyone wants to start using PGX, go ahead, lol

If the grades I received this week are any indication of the state of training, I'd prefer they train the graders on somebody elses books - Overall lower than expected grades, and 21 books returned failing 9.4 prescreen that both Joey and I thought were 9.4+ candidates... Between the absurdly long wait times and now this harsh grading standard, I'm done for awhile.

Actually this argument doesn't hold any water whatsoever. To start with, you offer no proof that it is not hurting business.

I can in fact offer proof that it IS hurting business. I am submitting less books than in the past because of the ridiculous turnaround time. I know several other dealers who have told me that they are subbing less and less books because of turnaround time, one of them our very own Greg Reece.

They have cut costs in the past few years (by getting rid of some of the more expensive graders), while charging more and more for a slower, less consistent service. Not to mention the ridiculous $5 per invoice surcharge.

I believe CGC is making a ton of money. They just don't want to give any of it back out.

PGX is not the answer, but if someone with some money wanted to start a grading service with some very reputable people involved, they could seriously put a hurting on CGC.

I don't wish anything bad on them, I just wish they would get their act together.

Actually this argument doesn't hold any water whatsoever. To start with, you offer no proof that it is not hurting business.

I can in fact offer proof that it IS hurting business. I am submitting less books than in the past because of the ridiculous turnaround time. I know several other dealers who have told me that they are subbing less and less books because of turnaround time, one of them our very own Greg Reece.

They have cut costs in the past few years (by getting rid of some of the more expensive graders), while charging more and more for a slower, less consistent service. Not to mention the ridiculous $5 per invoice surcharge.

I believe CGC is making a ton of money. They just don't want to give any of it back out.

PGX is not the answer, but if someone with some money wanted to start a grading service with some very reputable people involved, they could seriously put a hurting on CGC.

I don't wish anything bad on them, I just wish they would get their act together.

Dale,

I hear yea on what you are saying for the most part I agree, but what expensive graders did CGC get rid of?

Isn't the core 4 Paul, Shawn (both still there), Steve (left on his own), and Haspel (left on his own)?

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

From what I've been able to gather over the years, CGC is a fraction of the size of the other grading companies under the same roof. 1/10th of say the coin grading company to be exact (or an exact educated guess, if I had to make one).

If you've ever been under that roof, they have quite the compound including their own internal security team, a fenced moat, a building that looks like it was built to Fort Knox specs, etc.

Stuff like that doesn't come cheap, especially since it was likely purchased and built at the height of the Real Estate market.

I'm guessing CGC is not making nearly as much money as people think, considering they need to pull their weight in paying for that snazzy fortress at 1/10th (or whatever it is) the size of the other grading companies.

How am I supposed to offer proof it isn't hurting their business? Your "proof" is that you personally aren't submitting as many books and some other guys you talked to aren't either? Their wait times are going up. I'm just assuming here, but I would think wait times increase as they get more business, not less. Could they be getting more books in if they kept the wait times down? Yes. I never said the wait times aren't hurting business. It's a dumb argument to say that it's not. What I said was it doesn't seem like it's hurting. And as wait times continue to go up, I'd have to think that's because their submissions are increasing, not decreasing.

You say CGC is making a ton of money. Prove that.

We are all on the same side here. CGC needs to get some more graders and get the times back on schedule. What my original post was about and what irritates me is when people start shouting suggestions like it's so easy to fix. It's easy to say "buy this and hire this" when it's not your money you are spending.

Edited by HugeRosen