• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,044 posts in this topic

I have one invoice that was FTed from WW Austin with an invoice date of 10/31 that was "scheduled for grading" today (I called and got the grade). Meanwhile, my non-FT modern sub is still sitting at "received" 13 days later...

I have a question concerning the business model of CGC. Does anyone happen to know are they owned by a person/group that sees this as a long term business or do they themselves see it as a, relatively, short-term proposition. I only ask as they seem to put little money into actually growing the business but quite a bit of money into getting more and more submissions. One would think that they would invest more into the company, hire/train more graders, increase their output if they saw a great growth opportunity. Maybe they see it as maxed out as a business.

A bit of a conspiracy theory I realize, I am just pondering.

I have a question concerning the business model of CGC. Does anyone happen to know are they owned by a person/group that sees this as a long term business or do they themselves see it as a, relatively, short-term proposition. I only ask as they seem to put little money into actually growing the business but quite a bit of money into getting more and more submissions. One would think that they would invest more into the company, hire/train more graders, increase their output if they saw a great growth opportunity. Maybe they see it as maxed out as a business.

I don't think they view themselves as a short-term business, they've been around for 12 years. There is a theory out there that the persons/entities that own CGC make their money not off of submission fees, but off of the profit made in buying, selling, pressing/resubmitting 3rd-party certified books and the profits that have been made in the back issue market over the last 12 years. But that's just a theory, otherwise I have no frickin' idea why a company booming with business cannot increase the size of their company to meet the demands of their customers.

I think I need to revise my will to bequeath my "waiting to be graded" books to my grandchildren, 'cept they haven't been born yet but you gotsta be prepared! :frustrated:

I don't think they view themselves as a short-term business, they've been around for 12 years. There is a theory out there that the persons/entities that own CGC make their money not off of submission fees, but off of the profit made in buying, selling, pressing/resubmitting 3rd-party certified books and the profits that have been made in the back issue market over the last 12 years. But that's just a theory, otherwise I have no frickin' idea why a company booming with business cannot increase the size of their company to meet the demands of their customers.

How exactly would that theory work? I mean, it's not like eBay is giving CGC a kickback for every slabbed book that gets sold on their site ... :shrug:

I have got crappola from July/August that is closer to Pluto than being graded.

It's got to the stage,that with my fading memory,I will wake up one day,and wonder - wow "nice present-who sent me these"?

Even the fast-tracks from NYCC haven't been graded.

Pfft.

I think the fact that they haven't put money back into the business might mean they don't see it as a long term growth business. This is all looking pretty deep into a fairly simple question of 'Why can't they grade faster'. Maybe they have market research that shows people will wait, complain but then submit again regardless and this is a way to maximize profits. Maybe this is simply the benefit of being a monopoly in an industry that the company with the monopoly also standardized and created the business.

To be fair I have no idea. What does a Geographer know about business? :)

How exactly would that theory work? I mean, it's not like eBay is giving CGC a kickback for every slabbed book that gets sold on their site ... :shrug:

With the persons/entities buying books and slabbing them for resale themselves just like anyone else would do, except they are on the inside and have infuence over things like the acceptance of pressing getting a blue label. You can make hundreds/thousands on individual books this way, instead of the peanuts you generate with slabbing fees.

Not supporting the conspiracy theory, just giving my interpretation of what others have suggested.

With the persons/entities buying books and slabbing them for resale themselves just like anyone else would do, except they are on the inside and have infuence over things like the acceptance of pressing getting a blue label. You can make hundreds/thousands on individual books this way, instead of the peanuts you generate with slabbing fees.

Not supporting the conspiracy theory, just giving my interpretation of what others have suggested.

In the "Can you fake a slabbed book?" thread (I think that's one of many where this has been discussed), it was pointed out that Jim Halperin is a 25% share-holder in CGC, and he's also the co-Chairman of Heritage Auction Galleries. Read the online Forbes article about this this gentleman and draw your own conclusions. Follow the money! :preach:

In the "Can you fake a slabbed book?" thread (I think that's one of many where this has been discussed), it was pointed out that Jim Halperin is a 25% share-holder in CGC, and he's also the co-Chairman of Heritage Auction Galleries. Read the online Forbes article about this this gentleman and draw your own conclusions. Follow the money! :preach:

AFAIK, there's never been any official disclosure about what individuals make up the ownership of CGC. That's an interesting fact when you consider that the company's business is selling trust. If you don't know who owns the company, how can you trust their opinions?

AFAIK, there's never been any official disclosure about what individuals make up the ownership of CGC. That's an interesting fact when you consider that the company's business is selling trust. If you don't who owns the company, how can you trust their opinions?

" Conflict of Interest " does not exist in the comic world, unlike the rule's that mere mortal's have to adhere. :grin:

According to Florida Division of corporations, the sole managing member is Mark Salzberg. No other owners or partners listed.
Exactly. CGC is not a publicly traded company and Florida doesn't require (I'm guessing) disclosure of ownership interests. Comics Guaranty Company is an LLC, as is Certified Guaranty Company, it's parent company.

According to Florida Division of corporations, the sole managing member is Mark Salzberg. No other owners or partners listed.
Exactly. CGC is not a publicly traded company and Florida doesn't require (I'm guessing) disclosure of ownership interests. Comics Guaranty Company is an LLC, as is Certified Guaranty Company, it's parent company.

Correct. All florida corporation public records can be found on www.sunbiz.org

Until CGC goes public, ownership does not have to be disclosed nor does any financial information. Which is why I get annoyed when people start demanding CGC spend $ to hire employees and buy equipment. It's not our business and we have no idea what their profit margins are like.

Until CGC goes public, ownership does not have to be disclosed nor does any financial information. Which is why I get annoyed when people start demanding CGC spend $ to hire employees and buy equipment. It's not our business and we have no idea what their profit margins are like.

So far I haven't read people demanding only suggesting.to see what CGC can do to speed up the process.

Why get annoyed what people write? The ones who should be annoyed are the customers that has their books backlog for 110 days or so at CGC.

It's just words.

So far I haven't read people demanding only suggesting.to see what CGC can do to speed up the process.

Why get annoyed what people write? The ones who should be annoyed are the customers that has their books backlog for 110 days or so at CGC.

It's just words.

Annoyed isn't the right word I guess. I never get upset about anything, let alone a message board on the internet. It's more of a pet peeve when people shout out the easy answers to a problem. I'm one of those people with books at 100+ days so I'm with everyone on wanting CGC to get their times back on schedule.

MY items from June finally shipped today . question , no tracking numbers when they ship?

This is the email I got , no tracking number . Was hoping to be able to track the package so I can make sure someone is home when it arrives.

Pending Shipment Notice:

To:

KPV

Shipment 11/13/12

Carrier: USPS Manifesting ORIGIN 34240

Service: 1C

Tracking #: