• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

You're missing my point. Allowing people access to the grade prior to the grade being finalized has always been a bad idea - removing that option was a smart business move from CGC's side and should have been done years ago.

So when is the grade "finalized" and "final" and not subject to change? The way I read the following 2 sections together, a book is graded after the final grader examines it and, only then, it will head to be encapsulated. Further, being graded is a precursor to being marked "shipped/safe" according to the website.

After being examined by a restoration detection professional, the comic books are placed in barcoded mylar sleeves, and separated from their original invoice. This step is taken to ensure that graders do not know whose books they are grading, as a further guarantee of impartiality.

The book’s pages are then counted and any peculiarities or flaws that may affect a book’s grade are entered into the computer. Some examples of this would be “a tear on third page,” “a corner crease – does not break color,” “a ¼” inch spine split,” and so forth. When the grader examines the comic, he is not able to see a previously assigned grade, so as to not influence his own evaluation. After determining his own grade for the comic, he can then view the Grader Notes entered by a previous grader, and he may add to this commentary if he believes more remarks are in order.

Another restoration check is performed before assigning a grade. If all grades are in agreement or are very close, the book will be assigned a final grade. If there is disagreement among the graders, there will be a discussion with other graders until a final determination is made. The book is then forwarded to the Encapsulation Department for sealing.

Graded

Books have been graded and are currently going through the encapsulation process. This is when the appropriate holder size is selected and each book is carefully encased. Once this is complete, each comic will enter into the quality control process before it will be shipped.

The quality control process is when graded and encapsulated comics are re-examined by a grader to make certain that their labels are correct for both the grade and its accompanying descriptive information. He also inspects each comic for any major flaws on its holder.

Shipped/Safe

Comics have been inspected and approved in Quality Control, photographed in our imaging department if applicable and carefully packaged and shipped via your chosen method of delivery (or are being held for additional shipments). Grades are now available for viewing online, and the package is on its way back to you. Grades are available online once the books are marked with the status "Shipped".

It used to be that you could see your grades once a book was marked graded. The way I read the above, nothing should change from when something is marked "Graded" b/c the books have been graded and are headed to be slabbed.

This is just another example of decreasing any transparency. Did they do it b/c it was a hassle? B/c they are training new graders? B/c they were worried about showing when damage happened? Who knows. There's no information coming out of Sarasota and it's just another in a long line of "changes" about which no CGC rep speaks or answers questions.

Read the text you quoted:

"Grades are available online once the books are marked with the status "Shipped"."

Nowhere does it say that the grades are supposed to be available when the books are marked "scheduled for grading" or "graded" - and as the QC process happens after the books have been graded, it makes zero sense to hand out the grades till the books have actually been finalized (which doesn't happen till they hit shipped/safe).

What I don't understand is why you, instead of posting the same speculations again & again in thread after thread, didn't just pick up the phone, call CGC and ask them directly about this latest change? I did ... they said it was a mistake to ever have allowed people access to grades prior to the books being finalized. That it created confusion amongst new submitters and that it had gotten to be an even bigger headache ever since they started training new graders.

My experience with CGC is that every time there's been a problem with a book where it was obvious that something went wrong whilst it was in the hands of CGC, CGC took care of it & made me right. If you choose to believe otherwise, that's your prerogative, but I have to say that I'm not really a fan of the tinfoil-hat-wearing Transplant that sees a giant conspiracy in every single decision made by CGC.

What I don't understand is why you, instead of posting the same speculations again & again in thread after thread, didn't just pick up the phone, call CGC and ask them directly about this latest change? I did ... they said it was a mistake to ever have allowed people access to grades prior to the books being finalized. That it created confusion amongst new submitters and that it had gotten to be an even bigger headache ever since they started training new graders.

I'm not understanding how this was a headache. I've never had a grade change from Grading to Encapsulation. What they told me a book was is what I received. So that may be my unique experience.

Where was the headache with the old approach? Is Encapsulation catching things that the new graders missed? Because then I would think the headache started with the new graders, and will start to go away as they get more experience under their belt.

But back to the basics here. This new grade thing with CGC is REALLY starting to go a little sour with me. Granted, I love the SS program and everything that it stands for. But these little rules that are coming to surface are just plain dumb.

About 4 months ago I had 22 books on a 30 book submission change grades from when they were "scheduled for grading" till they were actually graded. They were all cracked-out 9.8s that suddenly dropped to 9.6 yellow labels, but when the grades were finalized, went back up to 9.8.

Even though I'm by no means new to subbing books, I must admit I was a bit freaked when I got the preliminary grades by email - I ended up mentioning it to CGC at the next show I was at, and they told me they were training new modern graders and I shouldn't pay attention to the grades till the books were actually slabbed.

I realize that people, in general, are pissed at CGC for the long turnaround times and seem intent on complaining about every single thing that CGC changes, but how does it make sense to allow people access to grades until the books are finalized? There's zero benefit to CGC in doing so and it could very easily lead to confusion & ill-will amongst new submitters when they don't realize that the grades they're seeing aren't "real".

The logic you use is sound Mike, and I agree with you. It had to have been a headache emailing PDF's and reading out grades over the phone. That part I get. Anyone who has been in business for an extended period of time knows they have to trim practices that waste time.

The rub I see with CGC is that they only take away, they have never replaced one lost service with another. Do they have to? No, they don't. Would it be nice? We all know the answer to that one. Over time people do get tired and frustrated when less and less is given and nothing positive takes it's place.

What is in place is working for CGC. They have zero legitimate competition. They have no reason to make any drastic changes. The consumer has no choice but to wait and pay what they ask if they want books slabbed. Maybe Matt and his crew will have an impact. Only time will tell. Keep in mind we are already in January and CGC is 120 days behind. In 2 months the convention season ramps up again. Will we be looking at 160 days soon? Who knows.

Since my time here on the boards I can list many things CGC has done away with or reduced that would create a less than favorable environment.

Increased pricing. Three times.

No discount on bulk submissions or handing back in the old label from cracked out slabs.

Horrific turnaround times.

Not being able to check grades until the books are on their way out the door.

No longer being able to pre-screen SS books.

SS Witnesses having to be accompanied by a CGC employee.

Charging you $5 per invoice for them to take your books.

Periods of tight grading/loose grading.

Not communicating changes with their customers.

Losing head graders.

You can see why any subtle change, at this point could send someone over the edge.

While I realize it's just a service that you're paying more for, I do appreciate the fact that they put the Fast Track tiers in and do see that as a positive.

There are times when you can't let your books sit for 6+ months to turn them over, so they gave you an option to get your books through the door.

Kudos to them for it, but kudos taken away for the atrocity the regular service has become.

But back to the basics here. This new grade thing with CGC is REALLY starting to go a little sour with me. Granted, I love the SS program and everything that it stands for. But these little rules that are coming to surface are just plain dumb.

About 4 months ago I had 22 books on a 30 book submission change grades from when they were "scheduled for grading" till they were actually graded. They were all cracked-out 9.8s that suddenly dropped to 9.6 yellow labels, but when the grades were finalized, went back up to 9.8.

Even though I'm by no means new to subbing books, I must admit I was a bit freaked when I got the preliminary grades by email - I ended up mentioning it to CGC at the next show I was at, and they told me they were training new modern graders and I shouldn't pay attention to the grades till the books were actually slabbed.

I realize that people, in general, are pissed at CGC for the long turnaround times and seem intent on complaining about every single thing that CGC changes, but how does it make sense to allow people access to grades until the books are finalized? There's zero benefit to CGC in doing so and it could very easily lead to confusion & ill-will amongst new submitters when they don't realize that the grades they're seeing aren't "real".

The logic you use is sound Mike, and I agree with you. It had to have been a headache emailing PDF's and reading out grades over the phone. That part I get. Anyone who has been in business for an extended period of time knows they have to trim practices that waste time.

The rub I see with CGC is that they only take away, they have never replaced one lost service with another. Do they have to? No, they don't. Would it be nice? We all know the answer to that one. Over time people do get tired and frustrated when less and less is given and nothing positive takes it's place.

What is in place is working for CGC. They have zero legitimate competition. They have no reason to make any drastic changes. The consumer has no choice but to wait and pay what they ask if they want books slabbed. Maybe Matt and his crew will have an impact. Only time will tell. Keep in mind we are already in January and CGC is 120 days behind. In 2 months the convention season ramps up again. Will we be looking at 160 days soon? Who knows.

Since my time here on the boards I can list many things CGC has done away with or reduced that would create a less than favorable environment.

Increased pricing. Three times.

No discount on bulk submissions or handing back in the old label from cracked out slabs.

Horrific turnaround times.

Not being able to check grades until the books are on their way out the door.

No longer being able to pre-screen SS books.

SS Witnesses having to be accompanied by a CGC employee.

Charging you $5 per invoice for them to take your books.

Periods of tight grading/loose grading.

Not communicating changes with their customers.

Losing head graders.

You can see why any subtle change, at this point could send someone over the edge.

Joey, you just echoed my fustrations.

While I realize it's just a service that you're paying more for, I do appreciate the fact that they put the Fast Track tiers in and do see that as a positive.

There are times when you can't let your books sit for 6+ months to turn them over, so they gave you an option to get your books through the door.

Kudos to them for it, but kudos taken away for the atrocity the regular service has become.

Let's be really slow so we can charge people for 'Fast Track' service! ^^

anyone get an economy sub back recently? mine from 07/02/12 is still not graded...

I just got my last Economy invoice from Heroes (6/27); it arrived today! :whee:

Economy's from 07/02 & 08/02 both marked as graded. (: