• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,038 posts in this topic

My books are stuck in encapsulation also. They said might be another 2 weeks.

Ugh!

Wait...what? Another two weeks? I'm stuck on business day 27 for a FT economy that was graded on business day 21.

Well hopefully it will start getting better with convention season upon us.

Ugh!

Wait...what? Another two weeks? I'm stuck on business day 27 for a FT economy that was graded on business day 21.

Well hopefully it will start getting better with convention season upon us.

:roflmao:

Ugh!

I'm 30 business days today from submission.

It is what it is....this was my last hurrah with raw submissions anyway. I spent $650 on pressing and slabbing. I don't see myself doing that again any time soon.

Ugh!

Which grading tier? I've got a 15 day coupon submission received 1/31 that was graded last week but has yet to ship.

Economy fast track (30 business days)

Ive got a Modern Fast Track that has been sitting in Graded since the 21st of Feb. Order was recieved on 11 Feb.

This is what gives me the red ......if it is graded, why can't they put the grades online, instead of making us wait until it ships at some point in the future.

I know their response would be "Well the grade can change until it is encapsulated and QA'd".......and I would be ok with that, but it would at least give me a heads up!

Sorry.....my rant is over

Modern fast track books received and verified today (2/5). We'll see when they're shipped!

Day 10, and now scheduled for grading. I'm cool if it's a day or two late, but i feel for the folks sending in via slowboat. Yeesh.

Day 13. Books have been graded. No idea on shipping yet, but at the very least, i'd love to get the grades.

Rant time:

Going on day 16. This will be the last time i send anything.

Tired of waiting.

Tired of the fact that turnaround times are an absolute joke for regular moderns (and essentially everything else).

I'm over paying extra money for a faster service that's essentially on track with the regular turnaround time. What if i wanted to pay CGC 2 weeks after they graded my books? Nope!

Tired of the fact that even certain books after going through encapsulation, and quality control will have label errors and incorrect info.

I know i'm flaming, but I don't see how CGC can see a thread like this and not do anything about it. Total joke. The employees are really nice and helpful, but nothing about this makes me want to use their service ever again. But they're the only show in town, so good luck on things changing. Not even going to humor everyone with a PGX joke. Sigh.

tumblr_lov3c6x1GW1qba0wa.gif

Edited by ComicsNYC22

I'm sure this has been mentioned like a million times, but I'm surprised they don't hire 1-3 more graders. Even if to only help through con season. I know you have to take into account the time needed to train to their standards so that consistency stays with the grading process and that takes someone away from the grading team. Then extra time on the quality control aspect to make sure the grades and inputs are done in the same fashion until the current team is happy with the results of the new graders are up to par. Hence the hiring of more than one more person. That way hopefully the new people "graduate" at the same time and then can really start banging them out. Maybe once they can get caught up to a respectful level, then if needed they can back off the newer graders. Or just maybe business will pick up enough to warrant the new graders sticking around.

Oh well, one can dream. :)

Becoming a skilled grader takes experience...not something one can learn in a 2 week training. At least, that's my opinion.

I believe grading is a skill that takes years to truly be able to grade books of all grades...not just super high grade or low grade...the whole spectrum and that is tough.

Also, the job of grading comics all day, everyday, all day...really sounds mind numbing.

I'm not sure how many applicants they get for graders in Sarasota.

I do wish they would address the problems and figure out what to do.

You think evaluating and grading comics day in and day out is mind numbing, I did visual electronic defect inspection on Texas Instruments DLP chips for 3 years. The final stage before microscope visual inspection and shipping to the OEMs. The job was literally standing in a 10' x 10' black room, projecting a series of patterns, fades and color spectrum tolerances for 12 hours a night. That was fun :P

We had to have our eye sight evaluated every 3-4 months to continue inspecting. But really as horrible as all that may sound, the job really wasn't so bad. Monotony sets on when you don't find defects. Because then you find yourself double and triple inspecting a single decide.

I guess my point is, yes it is good to have a background and decent knowledge base of publishers, their printing and assembly practices per era and such, but when it comes down to brass tacks, it's still a visual inspection and evaluation job. Anyone that has a history of doing fine inspections on anything, being able to spot the slightest defect is all that matters.

I'm sitting at 27 business days on a 20 day fast track sub. It's been sitting on graded for 7 Business days. Frustrating. Modern fast track that was invoiced on the same day was back in my hands in about 13 business days.

Just got off the phone with CGC. I've got one SS book I'm waiting on from a Dallas show (10/24 invoice date) and I was just curious about its progress. It has been graded for 2 weeks, but is now waiting to be encapsulated. I was told that encapsulation CAN TAKE UP TO A MONTH! :censored:

It would seem that the discussion of hiring more graders is kind of silly when the encapsulation step can take up to a MONTH on its own. Hell, they could grade every book in the place and the encapsulation bottleneck would still keep anyone from getting books.

I've subbed four books for SS so far in 2013, with many more to come, and have started to FT everything. I hate that I have to do that (the extra FT fees have already cost me a full submission plus worth of $) but I am tired of the wait. Of course, guys like me are just contributing to the problem of FT now taking as long (or longer) than the "normal" TAT for that tier. How long will it be before FTs are way late compared to what the normal tier TAT ought to be?