• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,066 posts in this topic

What's your opinion of 'quick press'? How does one decide if a book needs a press, or if a quick press would do?

Mike

I used it once. A few books with minor issues benefitted. Still I had a couple I was disappointed on. For only a couple dollars more I just get the full service treatment now.

Modern 9.8 Prescreen Slow Track, 30 books

Rec'd 1/28

Scheduled for grading 3/18

Graded 4/1

Quality Control 4/27

Shipped 4/28 Exactly 3 months. Not bad for a prescreen service

Modern Slow Track, 19 books

Rec'd 3/23

Verified 4/23

Scheduled for grading 4/30

Economy Slow Track, 3 books

Rec'd 3/23

Still not verified

Moderns seem to be moving along pretty well. I appreciate all of CGCs extra effort.

Modern 9.8 Prescreen Slow Track, 30 books

Rec'd 1/28

Scheduled for grading 3/18

Graded 4/1

Quality Control 4/27

Shipped 4/28 Exactly 3 months. Not bad for a prescreen service

Modern Slow Track, 19 books

Rec'd 3/23

Verified 4/23

Scheduled for grading 4/30

Economy Slow Track, 3 books

Rec'd 3/23

Still not verified

Moderns seem to be moving along pretty well. I appreciate all of CGCs extra effort.

I can wait 3 months for prescreens. not awful. 2 more months!

Current TAT on modern FT is now 25 business days. :pullhair:

Pretty bad when FT is slower than the listed TAT for non-FT.

Between this and what I'm hearing about CGC hammering books now for defects that they were more lenient on in the past... Voldemort here I come.

Modern SS FT: (Subbed at ECCC)

Received: 4/2

Verified: 4/17

Scheduled for Grading: 4/23

Graded: 4/28 (I can see 2 grader notes)

Modern FT: (Subbed at ECCC)

Received: 4/3

Verified: 4/20

Graded: 4/30 (No grader notes available)

Current TAT on modern FT is now 25 business days. :pullhair:

Pretty bad when FT is slower than the listed TAT for non-FT.

Between this and what I'm hearing about CGC hammering books now for defects that they were more lenient on in the past... Voldemort here I come.

Feeling similar. Either hire more people & add more encapsulation machines (just generally expand operations) or really drive down the price because at this point, you're paying more for slower service just for the "prestige" of the name on top of the slab. Their demand is wildly outstripping their capacity & eventually going to drive people to the competition.

I look at it as the typical pyramid of Fast, Cheap, Good. They're still good, they're still relatively cheap (somewhat, but more expensive than Voldemort) but they're getting slower. Eventually, you reach a point where good & cheap don't really matter if you're talking almost half a year to get your books back. They're bordering on that now with the slower and slower TATs.

It's a question of how slow it has to get before you reach the point that you consider sacrificing a little bit of good for fast & cheap. I could see people considering it.

Honestly? I retract my pervious statement about considering the competition. It was hasty. I'd probably go to not even slabbing or only doing it when they have on-site grading rather than sacrifice any of the "good" to get back to something even approaching a reasonable turn-around at the current price.

Quality Control: 5/1

I look at it as the typical pyramid of Fast, Cheap, Good. They're still good, they're still relatively cheap (somewhat, but more expensive than Voldemort) but they're getting slower. Eventually, you reach a point where good & cheap don't really matter if you're talking almost half a year to get your books back. They're bordering on that now with the slower and slower TATs.

It's a question of how slow it has to get before you reach the point that you consider sacrificing a little bit of good for fast & cheap. I could see people considering it.

Honestly? I retract my pervious statement about considering the competition. It was hasty. I'd probably go to not even slabbing or only doing it when they have on-site grading rather than sacrifice any of the "good" to get back to something even approaching a reasonable turn-around at the current price.

You nailed slower and they are the most expensive, but I would question the good statement.

Over the course of nearly $45,000 in grading fees over the last 4.5/5 years and an additional $10k in fees sitting in Sarasota right now, I have had my share of hits and misses with their grading.

However, it never reached the point where I felt the need to call until this round.

I've contacted Harshen twice in as many weeks over the current grading that I'm seeing. As a customer, I don't want grading that is too tight or too loose. I want grading that is consistent and correct.

The grading coming out of CGC right now is brutal. I would recommend either of the other guys before CGC.

The grading coming out of CGC right now is brutal.

And inconsistent, I will say in an anecdotal manner. Twice I have sent in two copies of the same book, at the same time, that are identical in every way. Twice I got back one as a 9.8, the other as a 9.6 - and I am one that can see a difference between the two grades. I honestly wouldn't care too much had they both come back the lower grade, but to see absolutely no difference in the books and to get two different grades...

:(

-slym

Quality Control: 5/1

Shipped: 5/2 :applause:

The competition isn't exactly The Flash when it comes to TATs either.

If their advertised TAT's are accurate then there are very fast options.

Received 4/8/15 - regular modern track submission including my copy of BA12!!

....received......

5/2/15

:P

You mean the received date was changed? hm