• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,949 posts in this topic

As a customer, I don't want grading that is too tight or too loose. I want grading that is consistent and correct.

The grading coming out of CGC right now is brutal.

This. A hundred times this. Not sure I've ever complained about grading. I've missed stuff. But I have 2 subs done without a prescreen because I figured every book at least a 9.6, with most a 9.8. Most are 9.6 with a couple 9.4s and 9.2s. I can't imagine what a 9.9 looks like now. The requirements for a 9.8 have gone up substantially.

I'm actually, glad to hear about the tight grading. As a buyer, I am now getting what I pay for. I think CGC went terribly soft a few years ago and it influenced our personal grading. We starting grading soft also. Now, CGC has finally tightened up. Maybe a 9.8 will now look like a near flawless book, this is the way it should be. Kudos to CGC !!! Tight grading is good for the hobby.

Tight or loose, just be consistent. Right now, they're not consistent. I'm still talking about nearly flawless books or else I wouldn't sub them without a prescreen if it mattered. I'm not just talking sour grapes here.

I'm not seeing it. I just got the grades for 5 submissions. Something around 75 books. My grades were dead on or under what CGC gave it on all but 4-5 books (shrug)

As a customer, I don't want grading that is too tight or too loose. I want grading that is consistent and correct.

This. A hundred times this. Not sure I've ever complained about grading. I've missed stuff. But I have 2 subs done without a prescreen because I figured every book at least a 9.6, with most a 9.8. Most are 9.6 with a couple 9.4s and 9.2s. I can't imagine what a 9.9 looks like now. The requirements for a 9.8 have gone up substantially.

I'm actually, glad to hear about the tight grading. As a buyer, I am now getting what I pay for. I think CGC went terribly soft a few years ago and it influenced our personal grading. We starting grading soft also. Now, CGC has finally tightened up. Maybe a 9.8 will now look like a near flawless book, this is the way it should be. Kudos to CGC !!! Tight grading is good for the hobby.

Tight or loose, just be consistent. Right now, they're not consistent. I'm still talking about nearly flawless books or else I wouldn't sub them without a prescreen if it mattered. I'm not just talking sour grapes here.

I'm not seeing it. I just got the grades for 5 submissions. Something around 75 books. My grades were dead on or under what CGC gave it on all but 4-5 books (shrug)

And that's the rub/problem. It's not consistent. I am getting books put in 9.8 holders that don't belong in 9.8 holders and books that I thought were flawless only passing prescreen at 50% rates. I've books that were cracked, books that I agreed with the grades on the holders, that dropped by multiple grades.

The grading is crazy bad right now. It's not too tight, it's just bad.

And that's the rub/problem. It's not consistent. I am getting books put in 9.8 holders that don't belong in 9.8 holders and books that I thought were flawless only passing prescreen at 50% rates. I've books that were cracked, books that I agreed with the grades on the holders, that dropped by multiple grades.

I'm curious if any of the 9.6's or 9.4's will have graders notes or if you'll be able to tell when you get them back. I wonder if they have just hired a new crop of graders who may have inconsistencies in grading or if they are beginning to more tightly/loosely grade some of the previously accepted/rejected production flaws. Stuff like bindery tears, slight waviness of the covers due to printing or packaging, almost imperceptible non-color break spine bumps less than 1/16" and only visible under angled light or some interior imperfections.

Or perhaps, they had a a bout of horrible mishandling of the comics during the receiving or QA phase where some may have gotten damaged prior to being graded or after being graded 9.8 during the sealing/encapsulation process.

I'm curious if any of the 9.6's or 9.4's will have graders notes or if you'll be able to tell when you get them back. I wonder if they have just hired a new crop of graders who may have inconsistencies in grading or if they are beginning to more tightly/loosely grade some of the previously accepted/rejected production flaws. Stuff like bindery tears, slight waviness of the covers due to printing or packaging, almost imperceptible non-color break spine bumps less than 1/16" and only visible under angled light or some interior imperfections.

Or perhaps, they had a a bout of horrible mishandling of the comics during the receiving or QA phase where some may have gotten damaged prior to being graded or after being graded 9.8 during the sealing/encapsulation process.

Some of the lower grades, like 9.2's and 9.4's are getting grader notes, but a lot of the 9.6's are not getting grading notes. Most of the grading notes simply say "spine wear"

I went back and looked at a lot of our grader notes and prior shipments. I even had a 9.4 without grading notes but it's pretty hit or miss with the 9.6 books. Some have them some don't.

Oh, and we send about 60 books a month out starting this year....we now have pretty much an entire long box out at CGC :lol:

When we do get books back as of late we've felt they were pretty close to what we expected, at worst one grade tighter than what we would have thought and the grading notes on the ones that we are confused on are at least helpful. I would say yes, grading is a bit tighter as of late but I'm still reserving judgement.

Looks like the 15 business day TAT for Standard/Coupon is slipping.

I concur with that, my standard coupon submission (4 books) is still languishing at Verified.

Received - 4/29/15

Verified - 4/30/15 (been there ever since)

Total thus far 12 business days

This is depressing stuff especially when you consider they were at CCS beforehand (Fast track and still took exactly 6 weeks).

Looks like the 15 business day TAT for Standard/Coupon is slipping.

I concur with that, my standard coupon submission (4 books) is still languishing at Verified.

Received - 4/29/15

Verified - 4/30/15 (been there ever since)

Total thus far 12 business days

This is depressing stuff especially when you consider they were at CCS beforehand (Fast track and still took exactly 6 weeks).

if it makes you feel better, non-fast track pressing at CCS is 3+ months.

Received 4/8/15 - regular modern track submission including my copy of BA12!!

....received......

5/2/15

:P

You mean the received date was changed? hm

That would be interesting!

No, just stuck on received for going on a month is all...

...received...

:P

I punched the optimist in me in the face when he said "at least they got 'em!" for the fifth time.

New submission:

4 - Standard Coupon: Received 3/2/15

3 - Slow Modern: Received 3/2/15

4 - Standard Coupon: Verified 3/3/15

4 - Standard Coupon: Scheduled for grading 3/19/15

4 - Standard Coupon: Graded 3/23/15

4 - Standard Coupon: Grading/Quality Control 3/25/15

4 - Standard Coupon: Shipped/Safe 3/26/15

3 - Slow Modern: Verified 3/27/15

3 - Slow Modern: Scheduled for grading 4/9/15

3 - Slow Modern: Graded 4/28/15 (I can see the Grader's Notes now!)

3 - Slow Modern: Grading/Quality Control 5/13/15