• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,947 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, Cman429 said:

My Orlando Megacon haul just arrived! Dropped off 5 books at the end of show 5/19. All Signature Series Modern.

Received 6/1 - Scheduled for grading 6/20 - Finalized/Shipped 6/28

Looks like we may need a new thread. Time from receipt of package/drop-off to received. 

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:00 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

Ugh, got crushed on my modern pre screen. 14 of 25 rejected, and I have been on such a good run. Anyone seeing CGC tighten up on copper?

YES!  They have been very tight on the Copper and Modern age books for the past two months.

I am getting back two submissions from CGC this week:

• One Pre-Screen Modern (9.8) that was pressed and submitted by a very well known board member who pre-screened himself before hand delivering to CGC, I had 23 of 25 rejected!  (8% pass rate)
  • One Pre-Screen Modern (9.6) that previously failed a PS 9.8 bc of minor issues....,had again 23 of 25 rejected!  (8% pass rate)

Normally, my pass rate has been in the 60%-80% range.  Never got below 50%. 

Has anyone else been experiencing this high rate of Pre-Screen rejections?

1 hour ago, iae21 said:

YES!  They have been very tight on the Copper and Modern age books for the past two months.

I am getting back two submissions from CGC this week:

• One Pre-Screen Modern (9.8) that was pressed and submitted by a very well known board member who pre-screened himself before hand delivering to CGC, I had 23 of 25 rejected!  (8% pass rate)
  • One Pre-Screen Modern (9.6) that previously failed a PS 9.8 bc of minor issues....,had again 23 of 25 rejected!  (8% pass rate)

Normally, my pass rate has been in the 60%-80% range.  Never got below 50%. 

Has anyone else been experiencing this high rate of Pre-Screen rejections?

Not as high, but the rate of pre-screen rejects has gone up. Must have hired new graders again. 

22 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Not as high, but the rate of pre-screen rejects has gone up. Must have hired new graders again. 

My submission rejects were all 9.6+ books that I wanted to see what they were looking at. Small bindery tear, tiny spine tick, and some light color rubs all failed. Books that used to be a shoe in 9.8. 2 books I had pegged at 9.8 failed, and those had no defects?

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:05 AM, aszumilo said:
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, aszumilo said:
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, aszumilo said:
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, aszumilo said:
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, aszumilo said:

12 book Modern / Press submission
Mailed - 3/16
Delivered - 3/20
Received - 3/26

9 weeks still sitting at received.

12 weeks at received.  Just received an e-mail that 2 books were rejected for pressing due to embossed covers.  I figured this may happen, but, PROGRESS!!!

Scheduled for grading - 6/19 :banana::whee::banana: 

Grading / Quality Control - 6/28

Finalized / Imaged / Shipped - 7/1

Happy with a couple of grades, surprised by one, and puzzled by a couple, especially since they were supposed to have been pressed.  Things that I thought would have pressed out and a couple things that I must have missed or happened while at CGC.  I went thru these books pretty closely and don't recall seeing a couple of things.  Such is life and the grading game.

Value service with a quick press pre-screen

Received by CGC on 5/16

Moved to "Scheduled for Grading" on 6/27

Economy service with a quick press pre-screen

Recieved by CGC on 5/16

Still in "Received" 

This was the only non-SS I did at Fan Expo, so I tried out the fast track and CCS for it.

Fast Track Modern with CCS

Dropped off at Fan Expo Dallas - 5/4/2019

Received at CCS - 5/14/2019

Finished at CCS / Received at CGC - 6/13/2019

Scheduled for Grading - 6/14/2019

Gradinig/QC - 6/25/2019

Finalized - 6/27/2019

Shipped- 6/28/2019

Estimated Delivery - 7/2/2019

So when it went to received at CCS I had an estimated completion date of 7/24/2019, it is well before that, granted the TATs fluctuate so that can be expected but so far each of my submissions have been crushed with TATs (in a good way).

Edited by Crops068
Added Fast Track Modern with CCS

9 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Huh, I’m over 3 months on my oldest batch and still in “scheduled for grading”...value tier.

That's cause value tier has stretched to four months now. 80 business days. And because CGC removed a bunch of "statuses" from their website. They stay at "scheduled for grading" until nearly done. If you are over three months, you are close. I have a few Value tier submissions from mid March as well.  

Edited by Tony S

Well I was just essentially called a liar. I called in because my standard submission at time of verified was 15 days and as of today no movement since June 7th. I have been checking in and turnaround has gone from 15, 18, 21, 24 and now 27 and was told that's not true and today is when it was changed. I used standard cause I needed them for a reason and now that is out the window.

9 hours ago, szav said:

It seems their house is not in order right now.  I also have another submission that shows as received and signed by USPS tracking 8 days ago, and it has yet to be entered as received.  Never seen a lag of more than 3 or 4 days on that either.

Try to give them the benefit of the doubt and have been using them for years without ever having contacted them to ask what the hold up is before this one.

I have a submission currently sitting at 12 days since USPS tracking said delivered and yet to be entered as received. Hopefully just a couple more days.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:30 AM, celluloidbuff said:

First batch received 6/6/2019 just moved to Scheduled for Grading 6/28/2019. Not unhappy with this considering the volume of books they're processing right now.

No movement on batch 2.

First batch that was Scheduled for grading 6/28/2019 moved to Grading/Quality Control on 7/2/2019.

No movement on batch 2.

I've mentioned it before - and now it's gotten worse so I'm going to comment on it again. 

I'm not one normally inclined to "criticize" TAT's. I remember the dark days of a decade ago and six month waits.  It's still much better than that time. But my observation is that CGC's current TAT's MAKE NO SENSE>>>>>

CGC is sacrificing everything but WalkThrough and Express to keep the Regular Modern tier at about a month (currently 22 business days) But how does it make any sense for Standard - which costs $65 - to take a week longer than modern that costs $20?  Pay 3.25x MORE $$ and wait a full week longer? (27 days Standard, 22 Modern) Economy tier ($38)  is at 58 business days and Value ($27) is at 82 business days :eek:

The basic idea is supposed to be (I thought anyway) that "the more your books are worth, the more it costs to get them graded. But the faster they get done".  But the current prices and TAT's suggest instead  "we'd rather grade inexpensive modern books over anything else. So we do them much cheaper and much quicker. Please don't send us your old books." 

Edited by Tony S

4 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I've mentioned it before - and now it's gotten worse so I'm going to comment on it again. 

I'm not one normally inclined to "criticize" TAT's. I remember the dark days of a decade ago and six month waits.  It's still much better than that time. But my observation is that CGC's current TAT's MAKE NO SENSE>>>>>

CGC is sacrificing everything but WalkThrough and Express to keep the Regular Modern tier at about a month (currently 22 business days) But how does it make any sense for Standard - which costs $65 - to take a week longer than modern that costs $20.  Pay 3.25x MORE $$ and wait a full week longer? (27 days Standard, 22 Modern) Economy tier ($38)  is at 58 business days and Value ($27) is at 82 business days :eek:

The basic idea is supposed to be (I thought anyway) that "the more your books are worth, the more it costs to get them graded. But the faster they get done".  But the current prices and TAT's suggest instead  "we'd rather grade modern books over anything else. So we do them much cheaper and much quicker. Please don't send us your old books." 

I hear you Tony, but from their standpoint, they probably have an exorbitant amount of Modern books currently in comparison to the other tiers and they need to prioritize.

SDCC is this month, and that means even more Moderns received. 

If this isn't done, then the TAT's will be 6 months. 

14 hours ago, szav said:

First time I've had to post something negative about their service here, but I have a fast track economy (listed TAT time at time of submission was 24 days, as of today 25 days), that is now at 34 business days, with 11 full business days of that at Grading/QC.  Sent what I thought was a polite email and just got a terse reply of "Your submission was received 5/16 and that tier is taking 5 to 6 weeks".

At what point do I email them again or call?  Never had anything at grading QC more than 5 days.

It seems their house is not in order right now.  I also have another submission that shows as received and signed by USPS tracking 8 days ago, and it has yet to be entered as received.  Never seen a lag of more than 3 or 4 days on that either.

Try to give them the benefit of the doubt and have been using them for years without ever having contacted them to ask what the hold up is before this one.

Whats also really bothering me is that they have no problem charging your credit card right away. Charge you and be at their mercy with nothing to be done about it. No communication either. They should really take a page out of PSA's book.

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

CGC is sacrificing everything but WalkThrough and Express to keep the Regular Modern tier at about a month (currently 22 business days) But how does it make any sense for Standard - which costs $65 - to take a week longer than modern that costs $20?  Pay 3.25x MORE $$ and wait a full week longer? (27 days Standard, 22 Modern) Economy tier ($38)  is at 58 business days and Value ($27) is at 82 business days :eek:

The basic idea is supposed to be (I thought anyway) that "the more your books are worth, the more it costs to get them graded. But the faster they get done".  But the current prices and TAT's suggest instead  "we'd rather grade inexpensive modern books over anything else. So we do them much cheaper and much quicker. Please don't send us your old books." 

What if modern books now make up the overwhelming majority of recent submissions? At the last few shows I have attended, the overwhelming majority of books I witnessed being handed over to CGC were modern/modern SS.