• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The math of 1 million books in 2 years

52 posts in this topic

246 books per hour seems realistic. It sounds like they have an assembly line style of grading, so that number sounds completely do-able.

I'm honestly not sure that sounds doable.

Try it yourself. Grab 246 books, from various ages/grades and try to comb through them using ALL the criteria CGC says they look for.

Heck I'm not even sure I can bag and board 246 books in an hour let alone grade them.

246 books per hour seems realistic. It sounds like they have an assembly line style of grading, so that number sounds completely do-able.

Try it yourself. Grab 246 books, from various ages/grades and try to comb through them using ALL the criteria CGC says they look for.

Heck I'm not even sure I can bag and board 246 books in an hour let alone grade them.

For one person, no. But for 12-24 graders, that's pretty reasonable.

Unfortunately, they just encapsulated book #1,000,001, so the next million is going to take a little while to get back to us........

lol

Serious question aside...

Dale, how many books a month on average do you submit to CGC? I'm just curious as I have this theory that it's mostly major dealers and auction houses sending CGC the bulk of submissions and that individual customers like myself makes up a smaller percentage of actual number of books graded.

To clarify...I'm thinking GA/SA/BA books specifically.

For one person, no. But for 12-24 graders, that's pretty reasonable.

I would hope their turn around time would be better if they had that many. It would be nice if they were moving from 12 to 24 though! :wishluck:

Unfortunately, they just encapsulated book #1,000,001, so the next million is going to take a little while to get back to us........

lol

Serious question aside...

Dale, how many books a month on average do you submit to CGC? I'm just curious as I have this theory that it's mostly major dealers and auction houses sending CGC the bulk of submissions and that individual customers like myself makes up a smaller percentage of actual number of books graded.

To clarify...I'm thinking GA/SA/BA books specifically.

Really, it fluctuates greatly, depending upon purchases, and also time of year. If I buy a collection, the number is dramatically higher than months in which I don't. Also depends alot upon genre. I personally don't sub alot of GA, as I have found most GA collectors prefer raw books.

Since June 1st, I have subbed 504 books, and have probably that many more in the process of being pressed, or in stacks to be subbed (sometimes I sub books on site, to save on shipping), or just to give a final grade screening before I ship them.

With the current turn around times, I have been grading a little bit less stuff, leaving more and more books raw, especially stuff that is not that expensive. For example, I might leave an Iron Man #40 raw which is a borderline 9.4/9.6 issue and sell it for $60 - $75.00, as opposed to subbing it, waiting 6 months, incurring grading fees, and getting $175.00 for it. A whole lot of factors come into play there (margins, depth of inventory, etc), but that is how I have been trending lately.

I would LOVE to see the 2000-2009 book that came back a 0.5 PLOD! :wishluck:

What in the hell happened to that book that someone thought it was worthy of submitting but came back a restored 0.5?!? hm

yyyyl1AP0y5.jpg

WOW!!

You're like a magic 8 ball! Ask and you shall receive!

What the hell is the story with that book?!? ???

Maybe some personal history with the book that made them want to slab it and preserve it? hm

With the current turn around times, I have been grading a little bit less stuff, leaving more and more books raw, especially stuff that is not that expensive. For example, I might leave an Iron Man #40 raw which is a borderline 9.4/9.6 issue and sell it for $60 - $75.00, as opposed to subbing it, waiting 6 months, incurring grading fees, and getting $175.00 for it. A whole lot of factors come into play there (margins, depth of inventory, etc), but that is how I have been trending lately.

+1

I was thinking about CGC's recent landmark of 2 million books graded and thinking even more about the fact that I have heard that 1 million of those books graded were in the past two years. Given those numbers I did some math on how many books graded per day and per hour that equals based on a couple of assumptions.

Now, I don't know CGC's core hours or days of operations so I broke it into two scenarios.

1.) CGC is open five days a week Monday through Friday and closed on six federal holidays (New Years day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas).

That means there are 254 days in the year they have to grade books. Multiplied by two years is 508 days. In this scenario they need to grade ~1,968 books per day!

If they grade books 8 hours a day (9am-5pm) in order to grade 1 million books in two years they need to grade 246 books per hour.

2.) They are open seven days a week and closed on the holidays above.

In this scenario they grade ~1,397 books per day and broken down by hour that is ~175 books per hour.

How many books can an individual grade in one hour? Also, you need at least four graders per book right? Is one book every five minutes reasonable? It is really just a guess but I would assume the checklist of items to go over with each book would take that long.

If so, one person can grade 12 books an hour so for scenario one, they would need 20 people just to cover 246 books and if you need four people per book, you have to multiply that 20 by four to get 80 necessary graders!

In scenario two, they would need 58 graders.

Lots of assumptions but some food for thought. hm

SAcB8.png

Okay, so given that link:

2010-2012 - 75,029

2000-2009 - 379,864

1990-1999 - 188,600

1980-1989 - 301,152

1970-1979 - 370,427

1960-1969 - 355,933

1950-1959 - 70,400

1940-1949 - 81,445

1930-1939 - 4,944

1920-1929 - 5

1910-1919 - 6

1901-1909 - 25

1890-1899 - 45

Undated - 1,861

-------------------

1,829,736 (this is less than 2 million?!)

Regrades (which are reported to CGC) are removed from the CGC census.

Okay, so given that link:

2010-2012 - 75,029

2000-2009 - 379,864

1990-1999 - 188,600

1980-1989 - 301,152

1970-1979 - 370,427

1960-1969 - 355,933

1950-1959 - 70,400

1940-1949 - 81,445

1930-1939 - 4,944

1920-1929 - 5

1910-1919 - 6

1901-1909 - 25

1890-1899 - 45

Undated - 1,861

-------------------

1,829,736 (this is less than 2 million?!)

Regrades (which are reported to CGC) are removed from the CGC census.

Could that really account for 170k books?! I guess it is less than 10% of the total submissions, but still!

What in the hell happened to that book that someone thought it was worthy of submitting but came back a restored 0.5?!? hm

yyyyl1AP0y5.jpg

Fantastic restoration job

Exactly my thoughts

yyyyl1AP0y5.jpg

WOW!!

You're like a magic 8 ball! Ask and you shall receive!

What the hell is the story with that book?!? ???

Maybe some personal history with the book that made them want to slab it and preserve it? hm

looks like they may have been a little too personal with the book.

I don't know why you would think modern books can be graded much faster than older books. You still have to count every page, examine them for staple weakness and most of the otherr things you need do for regular books.

I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I don't believe Moderns are subjected to a page count.