• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Collapse of the Original Comic Art Market

246 posts in this topic

It's not going to crash, those people who said the art/comic market is going to crash are the same people who are ready for a zombie apocolyse and the end of the world on Dec 21st 2012..They are full of Sheeetttt! You are not going to see someone say "Hey, I need $5, I'll give you this ASM #39 cover, otherwise I'll just throw it away since this stuff ain't worth anything anymore!! Will never, ever happen. Just like there will never ever be another Michael Jordan.

Yes it is a scary subject for many, mostly members of the site ComicArtFans who make a sizable living out of buying and selling Original Comic Art, I’m sure that they would prefer that no one mention or talk about the reality of the Markets situation, if no one says anything it might not happen, this is of cause very narrow minded thinking and unhelpful.

When bringing this subject up with assorted members of caf your mostly met with ridicule, name calling, basic Troll treatment, make no mistake many of the caf members (not all) are not the cuddly, kind people they make themselves out to be (in the beginning), over the years many of them are responsible for pushing up the price of Original Comic Art to extreme levels for their own financial gain and the caf site is the perfect tool to catch new, young art fans.

And what will become of all the art purchased “as an investment” once the crash hits and it will hit and hit hard, how many victims will their be ?

If you own any Original Comic Art that you purchased simply as an investment for later NOW IS THE TIME TO SELL, and whatever you do don’t buy more.

However if you purchased Original Comic Art for your own enjoyment that’s ok, just don’t expect to pay off the house if down the track you want to bring in a fast buck by selling your Original Art collection.

Just how responsible are the people who run and manage the site caf for crash of a market worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, should they be held accountable in anyway ?

These are questions that need answers, along with a list of other questions that will be raised here, please feel free to comment regarding the subject, let us know if you feel you paid to much for an item and now find you are stuck with it.

I of cause apologise in advance for some of the comments that will most likely be posted here by mostly scared caf members who make their living selling Original Comic Art at extreme prices, however in fairness I believe that even they have the right to their say, after all many of them caused this situation.

Please try to ignore their Troll-like postings and stay focused on the problem at hand.

I look forward to your constructive input, hopefully in some way we can lessen the damage of the market crash.

It's not going to crash, those people who said the art/comic market is going to crash are the same people who are ready for a zombie apocolyse and the end of the world on Dec 21st 2012..They are full of Sheeetttt! You are not going to see someone say "Hey, I need $5, I'll give you this ASM #39 cover, otherwise I'll just throw it away since this stuff ain't worth anything anymore!! Will never, ever happen. Just like there will never ever be another Michael Jordan.

I only throw away my original art if it gets creased stained or is no longer in mint condition.

Only mint condition art is worth collecting the rest is just trash!

:jokealert:

Holy carp I just woke up from a bad dream where I was channeling Mitch

dang I actually posted it..

As all can see by the postings by caf members here, they don’t like to be called to account.

I'm somebody who's been on the sidelines of art collecting for some time now. In the 90's I set out to collect one piece from each of my favorite artists and favorite series/characters. After completing that task, I haven't paid much attention tho the original art market.

I'm curious about your statement that the original art market is poised to crash. On what do you base that statement? Mostly when news of the original market comes to my attention these days, it's because of something that would indicate the opposite of a crash(such as $600K for a McFarlane spidey cover). So I'm curious as to what it is from your perspective that makes the art market look like it's going to crash.

Good question sir, my extensive dealings with non-on-line auction houses has directed me to this issue, some now refuse to except auctions for Original Comic Art as the reserve is most times unrealistic and items are more often than not turned in (waste of time), I followed this up with not just ebay results but the examination of Comic Art that had still been listed for over one year, my results show that while almost all dealers push the idea that a crash is never going to happen (of cause they would), that in truth The Original Comic Art Market has in fact peeked and signs of a crash are evident.

Buying Original Comic Art NOW is risky, if the art is purchased just as an investment, buying for self pleasure does not contain a problem.

I may be too new to say this, but Captain Australia, I think you need to chill. You are intentionally trying to be inflammatory. You obviously had a bad experience with a prominent member of the community. That doesn't mean that spamming the board is called for. Some of us really like the no-drama feel here. Can we try to keep it that way?