• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

How much does the story of these potential AE's sway your vote? Did you check on Steve Ditko Spider-Man because you love his art, or because you just really, really like the story?

And on the flip side, do you actually read the story in your AE books? As much as I would like to see a Jim Lee X-Men or Todd McFarlane Spidey book I just don't know if I could bring myself to re-read those stories.

For me the story can't be separated from the art, as the comic book artists I feel deserve AE's are storytellers in their own right.

I checked Ditko (no surprise there) because I love the storytelling ability inherent in his artwork.

The story pacing and mood, and the balance between Spider-Man and Peter Parker's private life (and, I believe, the character of Peter himself) were determined primarily by Steve Ditko.

I do read the stories in the AE. Slowly. I usually go through 10 - 20 pages an evening.

In all honesty, I don't buy a lot of the books dedicated to creators. I voted based upon the principle that "if" I was going to buy some, which would I pick.

Ditko, Starlin (Early Marvel), Frank Brunner, Mike Ploog. I may have forgotten something I clicked. I wish I'd clicked Keith Pollard on Thor. I love his art from that era.

DG

The first time I ever read the entire Rocketeer series in order from beginning to end was in the Rocketeer AE and it was AMAZING. I'm really looking forward to reading Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for the first time in the same format.

The story is a turn-off for me on some other volumes though. My relative dis-interest in reading about Tarzan has so far prevented me form dropping $150 for that particular AE.

A different thought, but I feel like i want to mention it.

Call me OCD, but I would like that all Artist Edition Books are the exact same size, same spine print, etc.

I dont care about slip cases, or stuff like this.

I want to look at the books first, and then proudly put them on the shelve!

And since i spent an average of prob. $ 250 on them i want this to look good.

IDW is doing a fantastic job with these books! Quality and all is there and i have no problem dropping the money, but like i said i would so appreciate if they would be sort of the same ( on the outside ).

The Marvel Masterworks or the DC Archives for example. Come on...you pay like $ 50 for them and they can't get to cut the slipcase or whatever you call the protection thingy that comes with the book the same way all the time, nor can they match the same color from one edition to the next. How difficult is it to get this done right

A different thought, but I feel like i want to mention it.

Call me OCD, but I would like that all Artist Edition Books are the exact same size, same spine print, etc.

So what about when the art isn't the same size ?

Print the Wally Wood art smaller to be the same size as the Mazzucchelli edition ?

Or blow up the Mazzucchelli art to be the same size as the Wood volume ?

(shrug)

Personally, I'm pretty happy that the size of the original art dictates the size of the book. I only hope that IDW puts out enough volumes of this series to justify the incredibly tall shelf I'm going to have to make to store these things on.

Personally, I'm pretty happy that the size of the original art dictates the size of the book. I only hope that IDW puts out enough volumes of this series to justify the incredibly tall shelf I'm going to have to make to store these things on.

I wouldn't store them standing up. I've found that the covers start to bend over time. The exception being the DD slipcased edition.

Yes, I discovered this as well. I had them standing on a wide ledge in my rec room. The Wood book just cant support the weight and I assumed the others would be following suit so I took them down. Bending and damaging the spines. Shame too, they were rather impressive standing 5 wide with Wally in the middle.

Yes, I discovered this as well. I had them standing on a wide ledge in my rec room. The Wood book just cant support the weight and I assumed the others would be following suit so I took them down. Bending and damaging the spines. Shame too, they were rather impressive standing 5 wide with Wally in the middle.

Yep. I had the same problem with the Wally wood book. But I couldn't figure out a way to write a sentence that involved that book, it being so big, and bending when stood up that didn't make me giggle like a 12 year old.

Heh heh heh :)

It now lays flat on a shelf.

Interesting to hear of the storage issue with these editions. I have the Rocketeer and Thor editions (and have ordered the limited edition of the Joe Kubert Tarzan volume) and my bookshelves aren't high enough to store them standing up so I've had to lay them down.

I know now that I should leave them lying down! Best,

Royd

my LCS manager told me today that he could order the Jack Davis IDW AE , date of released is april . i really thought this one was deleted as i couldn't find recent infos about it anywhere .

i saw some pics, and it seems to be a stunning book, like the Wood one,and it was clearly written " ask for price" on diamond ad. Then the manager told me price could be maybe 20% more expensive than the WOOD .

as anyone have any infos about that ?