• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

As everyone else here, I'm absolutely loving these books. Continued EC books, like an Al Williamson, Johnny Craig, Graham Ingels,etc would be fantastic.

As suggestions go, a Neal Adams makes a lot of sense, Marshall Rogers, Berni Wrightson, Steve Ditko, Jim Steranko and of course Jack Kirby. So much great material, if it can be put together!

Just got my EC classics from my LCS this weekend.

My 1st one. Wow, they're huge, and impressive to look at!

Wow it's out already ? I though it was scheduled for June 19th..

Just got my EC classics from my LCS this weekend.

My 1st one. Wow, they're huge, and impressive to look at!

Wow it's out already ? I though it was scheduled for June 19th..

Ditto.

The list has many possibilities, though feasibility may be a factor. Finding "complete" issues is the only thing that I see hindering some of this, but I think it could be done in some of these cases.

I'd like to see artist editions of:

Gene Colan - Tomb of Dracula or maybe Daredevil?

Don Heck- some of the early Marvel work, Avengers or Iron Man perhaps.

Also maybe something from the DC artists?

Dillin - Justice League of America

Curt Swan - Superman

Aparo - Batman

and something from the great Carmine Infantino.

I look forward to what IDW and Scott put together next. These books never fail to impress.

The list has many possibilities, though feasibility may be a factor. Finding "complete" issues is the only thing that I see hindering some of this, but I think it could be done in some of these cases.

Curt Swan - Superman

Aparo - Batman

I look forward to what IDW and Scott put together next. These books never fail to impress.

These discussions really fire up the imaginations of fans as the list of great, classic stories that could get the Artists Edition treatment is long and varied. But at the end of the day, the only books which can be made are those where the source material exists in complete (or near complete) form, and that makes for a VERY short list of candidates.

Scott

These discussions really fire up the imaginations of fans as the list of great, classic stories that could get the Artists Edition treatment is long and varied. But at the end of the day, the only books which can be made are those where the source material exists in complete (or near complete) form, and that makes for a VERY short list of candidates.

Scott

I agree, Scott, which is why a Colan/Palmer Tomb of Dracula book should happen someday, given that there are at least two complete books on CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=48623

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=7980

And I know of one art dealer who has two complete stories (or he did last I checked).

I think a Herb Trimpe Hulk Artist's Edition is a no-brainer as well. In addition to the complete books residing with the Donnellys, there are several others on CAF right now:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=14422

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=260426

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=375732

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=260425

Best, Lee

Curt Swan - Superman

Aparo - Batman

Scott

I completely agree that there probably is a short list of candidates for these editions due to availability of complete or near complete books. I haven't done a lot of research myself as far as what is available out there as "complete" issues, and some may be easier to find than others. I do not undervalue IDW's ability to put these together. Completing one issue of a comic with original art is sometimes an undertaking all in its own, so to put out a book with multiple issues of original art? Pretty astounding. Some may be easier, like in the case of Simonson who had all the pages or Mazzucchelli, who had scanned it all, but I'm still impressed they've been able to compile everything they have. Yes, some of my wish list may not be able to be done, but still, one could hope right?

Don

who'd also like to see a Sam Kieth Maxx edition and I believe that could be done as I understand he retained most of that art, with a few pages going to the inkers and friends.

I think a Herb Trimpe Hulk Artist's Edition is a no-brainer as well. In addition to the complete books residing with the Donnellys,

I love my Herb Trimpe commission and enjoyed his Hulk work, but his his "fan club" big enough to support 2000 AE books?

Hi Alex! I think your Trimpe commission is lovely. I think any of these AE books are a risk. It is hard to identify credible metrics to evaluate the marketability of an artist/title combination for an AE book, but I would submit the following:

The Hulk is in the top-tier of Marvel Comics characters.

Herb Trimpe had a very long run as Hulk artist when sales were (I assume) quite healthy, so Herb is probably identified as one of the premiere Hulk artists.

Herb Trimpe is #13 in CAF's list of most-represented artists.

Herb Trimpe is still an active presence on the convention circuit and would probably help promote the book.

Herb Trimpe seems to be a very nice guy, and an AE Trimpe Hulk book would be a nice tribute to him.

You can put me down for two copies! Best, Lee

You may be right on the marketability of the book. You don't see a lot people writing about his work though.

He is a very nice person in my experience and one heck of an artist. I was thrilled to get that piece from him and to meet him face to face last year at Boston Comic Con.

To Scott Dunbier, IDW

Hi Scott,

Congratulations on your wonderful series of Artist Editions.

Just received the "Jack Davis EC Stories" and "Will Eisner's Spirit Stories" this week.

Outstanding quality and congrats to Randy Dahlk for his wonderful graphic design.

Is there a possibility of releasing Barry Windsor-Smith's "Red Nails" ?

Though I have all the editions released so far and will continue to do so, I cannot think of a better candidate for a future release.

Thank you for listening.

Continued success !!!!

Best Wishes

Hellen & Tony

Australia