• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

If availability gives a comic a leg up...

Peter O'Donnell's classic Strip "Modesty Blaise", well loved in its native UK and elsewhere has been a fan favorite in Norway and Sweden, too, where the strips have been in continuous monthly publication (edited for comics pages) for over 40 years.

A few years back, in an effort to "revitalize" the strip, the swedish editorial offices located the original strips, the majority of them anyway, as they were assembled by a limited number of collectors and Romero had a lot of his own strips. They got fresh "proof" scans direct from the original art. They started off with the Holdaway stories, and they certainly look better than they did before (although they are still edited for comic pages).

Now, those proofs may not be of IDW standards, but they do have records of who has what strips so getting access might not be that difficult.

I'm just mentioning this in case, for instance, a Jim Holdaway Modesty Blaise Artist's Edition might be something people might be interested in. I know I'd love it.

I have a Holdaway Modesty strip myself, a minor exposition piece with no major characters, but the linework and expressiveness is breathteaking. On originals measuring about 8x21 inches he uses linework so fine that it could be reproduced at 1:1. And the way he lays the brushwork over that fine linework is exemplary.

Sigh.

I'm only saying this because an Artist's edition is the only way I could possibly get my hands on any of the really exquisite Modesty artwork.

Unfortunately Enric Romero does not have alot of his Modesty Blaise. A friend and I just purchased a number of Modesty Blaise and AXA strips from Enric, we both sent a long list but many were already sold.

Oh, well the information I had about Modesty was a few years old. Makes sense that he would have sold off some in the meantime. Still, as I understand it, it was relatively easy to track the strips back then and get them scanned.

Still, would absolutely love some Modesty Blaise AEs. Too bad Titan hasn't seemed that eager to do more AEs after Alien, they'd be a perfect fit as they're already doing the strip collections. (Although the design and binding etc. on the IDW ones are better than I've seen on the Alien AE or the about 20 Franquin AEs (Version Originale, they call them) of Gaston and Spirou from Marsu Productions. )

To Scott Dunbier, IDW

Hi Scott,

Congratulations on your wonderful series of Artist Editions.

Just received the "Jack Davis EC Stories" and "Will Eisner's Spirit Stories" this week.

Outstanding quality and congrats to Randy Dahlk for his wonderful graphic design.

Is there a possibility of releasing Barry Windsor-Smith's "Red Nails" ?

Though I have all the editions released so far and will continue to do so, I cannot think of a better candidate for a future release.

Thank you for listening.

Continued success !!!!

Best Wishes

Hellen & Tony

Australia

Hello Hellen & Tony,

Thank you for the very kind words, much appreciated.

As for Red Nails, I would love to but it just seems like it's not in the cards anytime soon. One day, hopefully, it would be an amazing book.

All the best,

Scott

When will it be available for preorder? Any info on the EC book?

I'd like to second or third the notion of a Colan Tomb of Dracula book - other Colan work would be great, too. Any possibility of a Brian Bolland AE book?

Thanks for the whole series of volumes!

I'd like to second or third the notion of a Colan Tomb of Dracula book - other Colan work would be great, too. Any possibility of a Brian Bolland AE book?

Both the Best of EC and the Mark Schultz Xenozoic Tales will be available for pre-order on Monday.

Both the Best of EC and the Mark Schultz Xenozoic Tales will be available for pre-order on Monday.

I ordered both two or three months ago out of Previews through my LCS......

I ordered both two or three months ago out of Previews through my LCS......

That's good, happy to hear. We purposely do not put the books up on our site when they are in Previews because we don't want to take away sales from retailers. Support your LCBS, but order from us if there is not one near you.

Best,

Scott

I was looking for the Xenozoic Tales one today but could not find it. Is it up there and I'm just missing it?

I was looking for the Xenozoic Tales one today but could not find it. Is it up there and I'm just missing it?

Sorry, spoke to soon. Look for them on the site this Friday.

We did receive the Best of EC and Byrne FF advances today though! 8-)