• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics General's Movie Subforum

619 posts in this topic

Best Picture nominees this year:

Amour haven't seen it

Argo suspenseful- enjoyed it very much

Beasts of the Southern Wild different and pretty well-done

Django Unchained good movie, wouldn't call it great- definitely entertaining

Les Misérables haven't seen it

Life of Pi excellent movie- loved every bit of it

Lincoln slow moving, political movie, well-done

Silver Linings Playbook enjoyed immensely- loved it

Zero Dark Thirty haven't seen it

....and the Oscar goes to.....Argo! or Life of Pi. Won't be Silver Linings Playbook, but I can see why it's nominated. Can't speak for the three that I haven't seen.

How about your opinions, folks? :popcorn:

Amour haven't seen it

....and the Oscar goes to.....Argo! or Life of Pi. Won't be Silver Linings Playbook, but I can see why it's nominated. Can't speak for the three that I haven't seen.

Haven't seen any of them. (shrug)

Did watch Batman: Under The Red Hood this morning. Quite entertaining. :grin:

Amour haven't seen it

[font:Times New Roman] I've only seen a few of the Oscar nominees for this year, but I can share a few observations on those.

Amour - haven't seen it and probably won't.

Argo - haven't seen it yet, but looks promising. An interesting, slightly revisionist take on a historical event.

Beasts of the Southern Wild - haven't seen it yet, but looks promising.

Django Unchained - One of Tarantino's best OTT cult classic homage films, not suited to everyone's taste, but definitely entertaining, IMO.

Les Misérables - good musical, should've been great. Sadly, Amanda Seyfried's nails-on-the-blackboard vibrato singing voice probably drove the final nail in poor Jean Valjean's coffin (Alas, that thought resulted in my subdued laughter in the theater during Hugh Jackman's otherwise heartfelt climactic death scene).

Life of Pi - haven't seen it yet, but the trailers leave the impression that this film can be absorbed in three different formats: 2D, 3D or 'shrooms. Which would you recommend?

Lincoln - excellent film with moving performances and great dialogue, probably deserves best picture nod. Historical license and occasional moments of forced symbolism notwithstanding, it is a remarkably rich and immersive film.

Silver Linings Playbook - haven't seen it yet, but looks promising.

Zero Dark Thirty - haven't seen it yet, but looks promising.

Based on my admittedly small sampling, m'thinks the Oscar goes to Lincoln.[/font] smiley-gata.gif

(thumbs u

Out of Django, Les Mis, and Lincoln, you made the right choice. :)

I swore of mushrooms years ago, but now that you mention it, Life of Pi would be quite astounding. :shy:

I've only seen 2 of the movies up for best picture.

I saw Argo on a him and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great pace and suspensful all the way through. Really grabs your attention and keeps it. 9/10.

Django was pretty good. Very Tarantino-esque. Enjoyable although some scenes were either ridicuously stupid or useless. 7.5/10.

:news: I can comment on Les Misérables now! :news:

Amour haven't seen it

Les Misérables enjoyed it quite a lot- top 3

....and the Oscar goes to.....Argo! or Life of Pi or Les Mis. Won't be Silver Linings Playbook, but I can see why it's nominated. Can't speak for the two that I haven't seen.

More feedback, comments? :popcorn:

Seen 7 of the 9 - no Amour (too depressing), no Les Miz (musicals blow); Argo is the winner- take it to the bank. Academy members who didn't nominate Affleck for best director get a poke in the eye. Daniel Day Lewis wins Best Actor (landslide) and Jennifer Lawrence edges Jessica Chastain for Best Actress. The rest is filler.

Oh, and too keep it CG worthy, Comic Connoisseur acts as Christian Bale's seat filler when he goes for a potty break.

Rhodey looked like Carl Weathers in his first appearance. I just don't see it in Cheadle. (shrug)

I still think Michael Jai White would've been a lot cooler in that role.

+ A LOT.

Michael Jai White needs more roles in film. I think he'd be great for Black Panther. He's got the right attitude, build and can probably put across the intelligence.

Amour haven't seen it

Argo One of my top two picks. I am immensely happy that Ben Affleck is back on top. He has proven his talent with these last three films, and Good Will Hunting is due some historical revision.

Beasts of the Southern Wild haven't seen it. A close friend didn't like it and I could see his reasoning. (unnecessary use of racial stereotypes and Katrina social commentary)

Django Unchained Won't see it.

Les Misérables Won't see it.

Life of Pi Enjoyed it, but the kind of theology you find in an in-flight magazine.

Lincoln Loved it. One of my two top picks.

Silver Linings Playbook haven't seen it, want to. Wouldn't it be a coup for this pic to win?

Zero Dark Thirty haven't seen it, want to. Bigelow should take her first Oscar and run. Hurt Locker wasn't best pic.

As much as I loved Argo, Lincoln gets my vote.

Seen 7 of the 9 - no Amour (too depressing), no Les Miz (musicals blow); Argo is the winner- take it to the bank. Academy members who didn't nominate Affleck for best director get a poke in the eye. Daniel Day Lewis wins Best Actor (landslide) and Jennifer Lawrence edges Jessica Chastain for Best Actress. The rest is filler.

Oh, and too keep it CG worthy, Comic Connoisseur acts as Christian Bale's seat filler when he goes for a potty break.

Thanks everyone, for your feedback and predictions. :grin:

Good calls here.

Les Mis was a good story with sometimes not so good singing. My mom loved it, but she loves all musicals, I think. For me, it was the story.

No need to keep this comic related, this is the Movie Sub-Forum. (thumbs u