• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Board member ARYAN

450 posts in this topic

When my dad died, I found a 4-ft high stack of books in his house about nazis. Why did he have so many books about nazis? Because he used to sneak up on them in the dead of night and cut their throats while they were sleeping in their camps. Again, context.

Indeed.

I have a friend who collects anything/everything from WWII. Is he a Nazi? Nope. Far from it.

Simply fascinated with the history of WWII.

When my dad died, I found a 4-ft high stack of books in his house about nazis. Why did he have so many books about nazis? Because he used to sneak up on them in the dead of night and cut their throats while they were sleeping in their camps. Again, context.

My Dad used to say a good Nazi is a dead Nazi. lol

I don't really understand that. I assume the Nazi was the villain, no? Nazis are pretty standard bad guys in books, movies, tv ... just about everywhere. Just showing a Nazi isn't offensive, it's any tacit defense or acceptance that's the problem.

But if a kid walks into school doing a public speaking story on his favourite comics, and chooses a cover like Cap 1, how do you not see this being a problem? I don't see it being a "defense" or "acceptance" issue, but one of political incorrectness, and I'm certain the question that would come up - of all covers, why did they have to use one depicting Nazi's?

Anyhow, my point was not to contest how you and I perceive the matter, but how others (especially those who don't collect comics) would look at the choice of collecting or publicly displaying such material.

I'm not really understanding this. The problem with "Aryan" as a name is that it's self-identifying.

No, it has a different meaning and no one was willing to hear the person out when they explained what it was. The decision on how it was identified with was completely based on people's reaction to it's connection to Nazi Germany's racial policy, and a sales thread quickly denigrated to a situation where the people offended by it had decided for that individual how it was used for the wrong reasons.

Now one of the boardie's in this same thread, and can't understand why a comic depicting Hitler, Nazi's and swastika's wouldn't offend people if displayed in public and in a setting where such material would immediately be deemed offensive.

I don't really understand that. I assume the Nazi was the villain, no? Nazis are pretty standard bad guys in books, movies, tv ... just about everywhere. Just showing a Nazi isn't offensive, it's any tacit defense or acceptance that's the problem.

But if a kid walks into school doing a public speaking story on his favourite comics, and chooses a cover like Cap 1, how do you not see this being a problem? I don't see it being a "defense" or "acceptance" issue, but one of political incorrectness, and I'm certain the question that would come up - of all covers, why did they have to use one depicting Nazi's?

Anyhow, my point was not to contest how you and I perceive the matter, but how others (especially those who don't collect comics) would look at the choice of collecting or publicly displaying such material.

I'm not really understanding this. The problem with "Aryan" as a name is that it's self-identifying.

No, it has a different meaning and no one was willing to hear the person out when they explained what it was. The decision on how it was identified with was completely based on people's reaction to it's connection to Nazi Germany's racial policy, and a sales thread quickly denigrated to a situation where the people offended by it has decided for that individual how it was used for the wrong reasons.

Now one of the boardie's in this same thread, and can't understand why a comic depicting Hitler, Nazi's and swastika's wouldn't offend people if displayed in public and in a setting where such material would immediately be deemed offensive.

:shrug: Am I really being thick? Please, explain it to me. I'm not being sarcastic!

Tough name to have without it inciting off-topic discussion. I'm pretty sure that if I changed my username to AL-QAEDA, I'd be spending more time talking about my name than about comics.

If I had to look at it on the level where the hobby has an equally troubling past in so far as artists choosing to depict the same kind of politically charged themes on front covers, the question I would ask is why is it less offensive to see a swastika on the cover of a comic than it is to see someone use it as a forum name?

Personally, the whole subject creeps me out way too much to want to own a comic depicting these themes, but is it my place to say people should stop collecting them or listing them for sale because the covers are offensive?

Because seeing something that was done 50 or 60 years ago is not as upsetting as seeing it done right now? Seems pretty clear to me. And this is not a defense of what was done before, or collecting that stuff ... but the impact of seeing it is much less visceral.

I don't know if I agree. I'd have to think it's all about context. Going back some 6 years or more, I was part of a hockey team that went by the name Sgt Rock. I got the moniker "Fury" because of my tenacious play and because it sounded like my last name. Without much thought, I Googled a Sgt Fury cover and sent out an email to the group when the nickname first broke, to provide them a visual of the character Sgt Fury. What I hadn't noticed is that one of the villains was wearing a Nazi armband. Of course this miss was troubling to me, but particularly because the captain of the team was of Jewish decent. I emailed him privately excusing myself for sharing the image.

He was totally cool about it, but the vibe I got in the dressing room was that there were a few people on the list that might have been offended by it. Didn't matter whether it was drawn 40 or 60 years ago - it's a visceral response to something that offends people and I'd have to think it's going to be a case by case thing how people will react, whether it's pulling out a comic, a German coin, or a tattoo bearing the symbol.

Objecting to depictions of people fighting the Nazis? Kinda hard to believe.

I would say not hard to believe at all. Especially since the same experssion Chespirito just posted in another thread offended a long-standing boardie (and mod no less).

I don't see the connection between what is going on in those links and people objecting to GA covers showing people fighting Nazis. No matter how exquisitely sensitive you may be, how can you object to a depiction of evil people being attacked? Not glorified, but attacked. Doing so goes beyond political correctness to ... I don't know what.

I know. I'm sure it's not his point, but it sounds like cw is saying that it's politically incorrect and insensitive to depict evil stuff (Nazis specifically) in any manner, in any context; that the only right thing to do is hide it completely and never speak of it again.

Look, I don't care for the condescending tone, especially in a matter where I think more thought needs to go into delivering an opinion. Don't broad brushstroke my opinion as one suggesting it needs to be hidden either. I'm just blown away that you would line-up as being adverse to a screen name, and in the same breath, would shut out the possibility that the imagery (regardless of period) would be offensive to certain people.

Tough name to have without it inciting off-topic discussion. I'm pretty sure that if I changed my username to AL-QAEDA, I'd be spending more time talking about my name than about comics.

If I had to look at it on the level where the hobby has an equally troubling past in so far as artists choosing to depict the same kind of politically charged themes on front covers, the question I would ask is why is it less offensive to see a swastika on the cover of a comic than it is to see someone use it as a forum name?

Personally, the whole subject creeps me out way too much to want to own a comic depicting these themes, but is it my place to say people should stop collecting them or listing them for sale because the covers are offensive?

Because seeing something that was done 50 or 60 years ago is not as upsetting as seeing it done right now? Seems pretty clear to me. And this is not a defense of what was done before, or collecting that stuff ... but the impact of seeing it is much less visceral.

I don't know if I agree. I'd have to think it's all about context. Going back some 6 years or more, I was part of a hockey team that went by the name Sgt Rock. I got the moniker "Fury" because of my tenacious play and because it sounded like my last name. Without much thought, I Googled a Sgt Fury cover and sent out an email to the group when the nickname first broke, to provide them a visual of the character Sgt Fury. What I hadn't noticed is that one of the villains was wearing a Nazi armband. Of course this miss was troubling to me, but particularly because the captain of the team was of Jewish decent. I emailed him privately excusing myself for sharing the image.

He was totally cool about it, but the vibe I got in the dressing room was that there were a few people on the list that might have been offended by it. Didn't matter whether it was drawn 40 or 60 years ago - it's a visceral response to something that offends people and I'd have to think it's going to be a case by case thing how people will react, whether it's pulling out a comic, a German coin, or a tattoo bearing the symbol.

I would say not hard to believe at all. Especially since the same experssion Chespirito just posted in another thread offended a long-standing boardie (and mod no less).

I don't see the connection between what is going on in those links and people objecting to GA covers showing people fighting Nazis. No matter how exquisitely sensitive you may be, how can you object to a depiction of evil people being attacked? Not glorified, but attacked. Doing so goes beyond political correctness to ... I don't know what.

I know. I'm sure it's not his point, but it sounds like cw is saying that it's politically incorrect and insensitive to depict evil stuff (Nazis specifically) in any manner, in any context; that the only right thing to do is hide it completely and never speak of it again.

Look, I don't care for the condescending tone, especially in a matter where I think more thought needs to go into delivering an opinion. Don't broad brushstroke my opinion as one suggesting it needs to be hidden either. I'm just blown away that you would line-up as being adverse to a screen name, and in the same breath, would shut out the possibility that the imagery (regardless of period) would be offensive to certain people.

Dude, you're totally misreading me! There's no tone here. I'm serious when I say that I know that's not your point. And I'm serious when I ask you to explain it to me.

Dude, you're totally misreading me! There's no tone here. I'm serious when I say that I know that's not your point. And I'm serious when I ask you to explain it to me.

So if not condescending, what were you suggesting by me wanting it to be "completely hidden?"

So if not condescending, what were you alleging I want to "hide it?"

All I said was that's how it sounds to me, prefaced with a disclaimer that I'm sure you actually meant something else. And I'm asking, again, for you to explain it. Seriously, honestly, I'm not getting on your case here.

So if not condescending, what were you alleging I want to "hide it?"

All I said was that's how it sounds to me, prefaced with a disclaimer that I'm sure you actually meant something else. And I'm asking, again, for you to explain it. Seriously, honestly, I'm not getting on your case here.

Last time I'm asking because it is seemingly not coming forward with plain language - why would you be offended by a screen name and not material depicting the same symbol/wording/imagery?

Right or wrong, it's because the screen name appears, at least to me, to be a tacit (at least) endorsement of Nazis. It's totally possible that I'm wrong, I can't see into anyone's mind, but that's how it appears to me. A comic cover showing Hitler getting punched by a guy wearing the American Flag, on the other hand, tells just about the opposite story.

Now, can you explain to me why someone would be offended by seeing Hitler getting taken out by Captain America?

Right or wrong, it's because the screen name appears, at least to me, to be a tacit (at least) endorsement of Nazis. It's totally possible that I'm wrong, I can't see into anyone's mind, but that's how it appears to me. A comic cover showing Hitler getting punched by a guy wearing the American Flag, on the other hand, tells just about the opposite story.

Now, can you explain to me why someone would be offended by seeing Hitler getting taken out by Captain America?

It's possible that we are both wrong. BUT, the response in the case of the screen name choice was one where boardie's who were offended by it quickly arrived at their own conclusions. I concur with the sentiment that a different choice of names would have been wiser, but the attack mode people went into was far different from the tolerance you're showing toward comic's depicting this imagery.

I personally find it equally deplorable that i) a publisher was using Nazi sensationalism to sell comics; and ii) that a secondary market exists for people who seek out this type of thing. It just creeps me out when someone asks me if I have any covers with Nazi's or swastikas. Those seeking (and I'm referring here to the guys who weren't on the battle lines and are disconnected from time and place) seem to be charmed by it more than any willingness to be educated. Something I feel is very different from the value of learning about what took place through a history lesson. I think my response to the subject was formed from watching war camp film that hadn't been released yet to the public in the late 80's and hearing the experiences of a war camp prisoner who managed to escape.

It's possible that we are both wrong. BUT, the response in the case of the screen name choice was one where boardie's who were offended by it quickly arrived at their own conclusions. I concur with the sentiment that a different choice of names would have been wiser, but the attack mode people went into was far different from the tolerance you're showing toward comic's depicting this imagery.

I personally find it equally deplorable that i) a publisher was using Nazi sensationalism to sell comics; and ii) that a secondary market exists for people who seek out this type of thing. It just creeps me out when someone asks me if I have any covers with Nazi's or swastikas. Those seeking (and I'm referring here to the guys who weren't on the battle lines and are disconnected from time and place) seems to be charmed by it more than any willingness to be educated. Something I feel is very different from the value of learning about what took place through a history lesson. I think my response to the subject was formed from watching war camp film that hadn't been released yet to the public in the late 80's and hearing the experiences of a war camp prisoner who managed to escaped.

The GA covers depicting Cap beating up Nazi's don't bother me, but the ones depicting the Japanese as racial caricatures do.

I personally find it equally deplorable that i) a publisher was using Nazi sensationalism to sell comics; and ii) that a secondary market exists for people who seek out this type of thing. It just creeps me out when someone asks me if I have any covers with Nazi's or swastikas. Those seeking (and I'm referring here to the guys who weren't on the battle lines and are disconnected from time and place) seems to be charmed by it more than any willingness to be educated. Something I feel is very different from the value of learning about what took place through a history lesson. I think my response to the subject was formed from watching war camp film that hadn't been released yet to the public in the late 80's and hearing the experiences of a war camp prisoner who managed to escape.

Okay, now I get it. :foryou:

I'll totally own up to jumping to conclusions when I saw ARYAN's scree name. I'm still not sure what it's all about. But undeniably, it's a loaded tem, at least in the Western world. If his response had been something along the liens of "easy dude, I'm from *wherever* and the term has totally different connotations here," we could have moved on quite amicably from there. Instead, he quickly moved into saying that I have emotional problems for having an issue. So, whatever, I'm happy to make up my own mind on the fellow, and think he's a dink. :)

I personally find it equally deplorable that i) a publisher was using Nazi sensationalism to sell comics; and ii) that a secondary market exists for people who seek out this type of thing. It just creeps me out when someone asks me if I have any covers with Nazi's or swastikas. Those seeking (and I'm referring here to the guys who weren't on the battle lines and are disconnected from time and place) seems to be charmed by it more than any willingness to be educated. Something I feel is very different from the value of learning about what took place through a history lesson. I think my response to the subject was formed from watching war camp film that hadn't been released yet to the public in the late 80's and hearing the experiences of a war camp prisoner who managed to escaped.

The GA covers depicting Cap beating up Nazi's don't bother me, but the ones depicting the Japanese as racial caricatures do.

Yep, and I was just scanning those Charlton Flying Nurses covers after Hado posted about the series - seeing the cover from issue 7 did the same.