• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Board member ARYAN

450 posts in this topic

Funny how you were able to determine from a screen name that a boardie was a neo-Nazi, but haven't once wondered why people go out seeking material with this imagery.

Actually, I didn't. I don't know why he chose his name and I am perfectly willing to accept his explanation.

You may want to think about the fact that by this point many people have chipped in on this thread, but no one seems to agree with you. If you were correct, I would expect someone else to have experienced non-comic fans objecting to covers like Cap 1 or 1960s Sgt Fury's.

what assumption do you make regarding the boardie "The Black Hand"?

Part of Calvin and Hobbes "Sinister Icy Black Hand of Death" organization, but he probably truncated it due to space.

gross2.png

Funny how you were able to determine from a screen name that a boardie was a neo-Nazi, but haven't once wondered why people go out seeking material with this imagery.

How can you not at least suspect neo-nazi tendencies when someone names himself "Aryan?" Yes, I understand that the name has "other meanings." But really, let's not be naive about this.

WWII references aside, I'm going to assume you've heard of the "Aryan Brotherhood?" This is not some antiquated term from the first half of the twentieth century. Neo-nazis STILL proudly use the term "Aryan" as a way in which to identify themselves. In this half of the world, this is the most common usage of the term. I'm not going to apologize for noticing that.

That he needs to get over Geoff Johns. lol:foryou:

How can you not at least suspect neo-nazi tendencies when someone names himself "Aryan?" Yes, I understand that the name has "other meanings." But really, let's not be naive about this.

WWII references aside, I'm going to assume you've heard of the "Aryan Brotherhood?" This is not some antiquated term from the first half of the twentieth century. Neo-nazis STILL proudly use the term "Aryan" as a way in which to identify themselves. In this half of the world, this is the most common usage of the term. I'm not going to apologize for noticing that.

I always assumed he was a Jerry Garcia fan. :shrug:

Well put.

Wait......Hold on! You're NOT A DOCTOR? sheesh! doh!

Part of Calvin and Hobbes "Sinister Icy Black Hand of Death" organization, but he probably truncated it due to space.

gross2.png

Ah, Calvin and Hobbes. Life was simpler then...

How can you not at least suspect neo-nazi tendencies when you someone who names himself "Aryan?" Yes, I understand that the name has "other meanings." But really, let's not be naive about this.

The whole intersection of this debate has been trying to understand how a screen name can get a rise out of people, but not when these tendencies are found in people seeking the material and imagery.

How would some of the people who collect this material feel if they were accused of being a neo-Nazi?

Worse, when you explain the historical context and significance of the material in the context of your hobby pursuits, it's ignored and words "I'm not naive" take over the discussion.

I'm sorry, but outside of the process of hobby conditioning, I just don't understand why the two situations are handled differently, considering the intersection leads to a path that is sinister, evil and in the case of making money from tragedy, opportunistic.

I'm sorry, but outside of the process of hobby conditioning, I just don't understand why the two situations are handled differently, considering the intersection leads to a path that is sinister, evil and in the case of making money from tragedy, opportunistic.

Kirby was nothing but opportunistic when crafting art relevant to WWII? He just disregarded his life experiences and went for the fast buck? There is no art in that cover, only propaganda? Is that really what you're saying?

How can you not at least suspect neo-nazi tendencies when you someone who names himself "Aryan?" Yes, I understand that the name has "other meanings." But really, let's not be naive about this.

The whole intersection of this debate has been trying to understand how a screen name can get a rise out of people, but not when these tendencies are found in people seeking the material and imagery.

How would some of the people who collect this material feel if they were accused of being a neo-Nazi?

I would imagine it comes with the territory and they get over it. People who assume beliefs based on cursory observation is nothing new to the human race.

Kirby was nothing but opportunistic when crafting art relevant to WWII? He just disregarded his life experiences and went for the fast buck? There is no art in that cover, only propaganda? Is that really what you're saying?

Side note: Didn't Kirby serve active duty in WW2?

Yep.

Everyone else contributing to this thread does understand.

With respect to making money from tragedy, comics could hardly have ignored WWII. Given the emotions of the time and their intended audience, they can hardly have been expected to depict Germans and Japanese in a way that would seem enlightened in 2012. The accusation of making money off tragedy can be leveled against every book or movie depicting WW II or, for that matter, any other war or horrific event. It can also be leveled against local TV news that cover murders, fires, and other tragic events.

I would imagine it comes with the territory and they get over it.

There are two big names that come to mind, who are connected to highly visible brands and enterprises that have been dogged for well over 40 years for their involvement in "social clubs" and organizations later deemed to have links to the Nazi's.

It didn't matter how their involvement happened, the context (as teens who were caught up in the whole circle of friends thing) - none of that matters though. Getting over it doesn't even accurately explain the reality, and 40 years of being dogged by media and critics seems like a pretty harsh life penalty.

Having seen this side of the topic through media coverage, I can't help to think what would happen to them if they ever decided to collect comics and their focus was swastika covers.

Yep.

Wouldn't it be more like Jack Kirby conceived, drew and illustrated those topics as part of his job requirements?

I would imagine it comes with the territory and they get over it.

There are two big names that come to mind, who are connected to highly visible brands and enterprises that have been dogged for well over 40 years for their involvement in "social clubs" and organizations later deemed to have links to the Nazi's.

It didn't matter how their involvement happened, the context (as teens who were caught up in the whole circle of friends thing) - none of that matters though. Getting over it doesn't even accurately explain the reality, and 40 years of being dogged by media and critics seems like a pretty harsh life penalty.

Having seen this side of the topic through media coverage, I can't help to think what would happen to them if they ever decided to collect comics and their focus was swastika covers.

I'm thinking this is all hypothetical at this point - I'm sure there are collectors who collect only swastika covers, but we don't have any here to lend insight to why they collect those.

I would venture a guess that if you collect Nazi stuff, you probably keep it under wraps. Any explanation, regardless of how innoculous your collection is, is going to come off that you have some sort of advanced interest in a belief system that encourages biological racism and anti-semitism.

I don't think you can blame the public for seeing it that way, you can blame that idlot with the funny mustache who was responsible for the atrocities he performed in the name of that belief system.

With respect to making money from tragedy, comics could hardly have ignored WWII. Given the emotions of the time and their intended audience, they can hardly have been expected to depict Germans and Japanese in a way that would seem enlightened in 2012. The accusation of making money off tragedy can be leveled against every book or movie depicting WW II or, for that matter, any other war or horrific event. It can also be leveled against local TV news that cover murders, fires, and other tragic events.

That is a fair argument. But in the broader sense, I still can't shake the concern that there is secondary market interest that falls outside of the "patriotic" appreciation you describe.

That is a fair argument. But in the broader sense, I still can't shake the concern that there is secondary market interest that falls outside of the "patriotic" appreciation you describe.

There is - it's the same kinds people that collect serial killer cr@p and other offensive-themed garbage. But, they are fringe collectors, and I think across time, there have always been people who are into things that 99.999% of the human race finds atrocious. That is the only explanation I have for things like Tub Girl.

beating_a_dead_horseemoticon.gif

beating_a_dead_horseemoticon.gif

Give us a break, we're trying to get the thread locked.

Everyone got points this week except ME!