• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Board member ARYAN

450 posts in this topic

Anybody know if this person is still a member?

They posted up :takeit: on a couple of books in my sales thread back on 9/18 - PM'ed that they would be making payment in a couple of days. Then has not responded to any follow-up PM's since that time - and the PM's all show that they have reading them.

Well, you can't ever trust those blue-eyed, blonde haired boardies, you know.

I'm more surprised to hear the mods allowed that kind of name here on the boards.

I'm more surprised to hear the mods allowed that kind of name here on the boards.

I called him on it, amongst others, but Columbia Comics had his back. :shrug:

I believe he also got all person_without_enough_empathyy on Mike (comicdonna).

Tough name to have without it inciting off-topic discussion. I'm pretty sure that if I changed my username to AL-QAEDA, I'd be spending more time talking about my name than about comics.

They posted up :takeit: on a couple of books in my sales thread back on 9/18 - PM'ed that they would be making payment in a couple of days. Then has not responded to any follow-up PM's since that time - and the PM's all show that they have reading them.

Sorry to hear you're having problems getting paid.

Looks like this "ARYAN" fellow will be placed on the suspension list.

Hope things work out for you. Were they expensive books?

Looks like it was an Avengers 1 & 2.

Tough name to have without it inciting off-topic discussion. I'm pretty sure that if I changed my username to AL-QAEDA, I'd be spending more time talking about my name than about comics.

He named his kid "Aryan" too. So...

a) doh!

b) he's so far invested in the name, there's no point arguing it with him, unless you're looking for a laugh.

Looks like it was an Avengers 1 & 2.

Wow those are big books to skimp out on. Tough break!

If I had to look at it on the level where the hobby has an equally troubling past in so far as artists choosing to depict the same kind of politically charged themes on front covers, the question I would ask is why is it less offensive to see a swastika on the cover of a comic than it is to see someone use it as a forum name?

Personally, the whole subject creeps me out way too much to want to own a comic depicting these themes, but is it my place to say people should stop collecting them or listing them for sale because the covers are offensive?

If I had to look at it on the level where the hobby has an equally troubling past in so far as artists choosing to depict the same kind of politically charged themes on front covers, the question I would ask is why is it less offensive to see a swastika on the cover of a comic than it is to see someone use it as a forum name?

Personally, the whole subject creeps me out way too much to want to own a comic depicting these themes, but is it my place to say people should stop collecting them or listing them for sale because the covers are offensive?

Because seeing something that was done 50 or 60 years ago is not as upsetting as seeing it done right now? Seems pretty clear to me. And this is not a defense of what was done before, or collecting that stuff ... but the impact of seeing it is much less visceral.

Those covers were, of course, strongly anti-Nazi. One thing I'm struck by is how even before the U.S. entered the war, Hitler and company were being depicted as monsters -- often, literally. I wonder if there was any reaction at the time from the America First people who (before Pearl Harbor) were strongly opposed to the U.S. entering the war?

Its all black and white with them