• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Board member ARYAN

450 posts in this topic

Tough name to have without it inciting off-topic discussion. I'm pretty sure that if I changed my username to AL-QAEDA, I'd be spending more time talking about my name than about comics.
That;s different though. Al Qaeda is a specific organization. What if your name were ARAB or Middle-East? Would it be okay to freak out about that? I don't think so. The screen name is provocative, but it is not an instant sign of racism or white supremacy. I'd probably be wary of the guy but I wouldn't call him a racist for that unless he displayed racist ideas. It's not the same as having Hitler as a screen name.

Tough name to have without it inciting off-topic discussion. I'm pretty sure that if I changed my username to AL-QAEDA, I'd be spending more time talking about my name than about comics.

If I had to look at it on the level where the hobby has an equally troubling past in so far as artists choosing to depict the same kind of politically charged themes on front covers, the question I would ask is why is it less offensive to see a swastika on the cover of a comic than it is to see someone use it as a forum name?

Personally, the whole subject creeps me out way too much to want to own a comic depicting these themes, but is it my place to say people should stop collecting them or listing them for sale because the covers are offensive?

Because seeing something that was done 50 or 60 years ago is not as upsetting as seeing it done right now? Seems pretty clear to me. And this is not a defense of what was done before, or collecting that stuff ... but the impact of seeing it is much less visceral.

I don't know if I agree. I'd have to think it's all about context. Going back some 6 years or more, I was part of a hockey team that went by the name Sgt Rock. I got the moniker "Fury" because of my tenacious play and because it sounded like my last name. Without much thought, I Googled a Sgt Fury cover and sent out an email to the group when the nickname first broke, to provide them a visual of the character Sgt Fury. What I hadn't noticed is that one of the villains was wearing a Nazi armband. Of course this miss was troubling to me, but particularly because the captain of the team was of Jewish decent. I emailed him privately excusing myself for sharing the image.

He was totally cool about it, but the vibe I got in the dressing room was that there were a few people on the list that might have been offended by it. Didn't matter whether it was drawn 40 or 60 years ago - it's a visceral response to something that offends people and I'd have to think it's going to be a case by case thing how people will react, whether it's pulling out a comic, a German coin, or a tattoo bearing the symbol.

I don't really understand that. I assume the Nazi was the villain, no? Nazis are pretty standard bad guys in books, movies, tv ... just about everywhere. Just showing a Nazi isn't offensive, it's any tacit defense or acceptance that's the problem.

If I had to look at it on the level where the hobby has an equally troubling past in so far as artists choosing to depict the same kind of politically charged themes on front covers, the question I would ask is why is it less offensive to see a swastika on the cover of a comic than it is to see someone use it as a forum name?

Personally, the whole subject creeps me out way too much to want to own a comic depicting these themes, but is it my place to say people should stop collecting them or listing them for sale because the covers are offensive?

Because seeing something that was done 50 or 60 years ago is not as upsetting as seeing it done right now? Seems pretty clear to me. And this is not a defense of what was done before, or collecting that stuff ... but the impact of seeing it is much less visceral.

I don't know if I agree. I'd have to think it's all about context. Going back some 6 years or more, I was part of a hockey team that went by the name Sgt Rock. I got the moniker "Fury" because of my tenacious play and because it sounded like my last name. Without much thought, I Googled a Sgt Fury cover and sent out an email to the group when the nickname first broke, to provide them a visual of the character Sgt Fury. What I hadn't noticed is that one of the villains was wearing a Nazi armband. Of course this miss was troubling to me, but particularly because the captain of the team was of Jewish decent. I emailed him privately excusing myself for sharing the image.

He was totally cool about it, but the vibe I got in the dressing room was that there were a few people on the list that might have been offended by it. Didn't matter whether it was drawn 40 or 60 years ago - it's a visceral response to something that offends people and I'd have to think it's going to be a case by case thing how people will react, whether it's pulling out a comic, a German coin, or a tattoo bearing the symbol.

Objecting to depictions of people fighting the Nazis? Kinda hard to believe.

I don't really understand that. I assume the Nazi was the villain, no? Nazis are pretty standard bad guys in books, movies, tv ... just about everywhere. Just showing a Nazi isn't offensive, it's any tacit defense or acceptance that's the problem.

But if a kid walks into school doing a public speaking story on his favourite comics, and chooses a cover like Cap 1, how do you not see this being a problem? I don't see it being a "defense" or "acceptance" issue, but one of political incorrectness, and I'm certain the question that would come up - of all covers, why did they have to use one depicting Nazi's?

Anyhow, my point was not to contest how you and I perceive the matter, but how others (especially those who don't collect comics) would look at the choice of collecting or publicly displaying such material.

I would say not hard to believe at all. Especially since the same experssion Chespirito just posted in another thread offended a long-standing boardie (and mod no less).

But if a kid walks into school doing a public speaking story on his favourite comics, and chooses a cover like Cap 1, how do you not see this being a problem? I don't see it being a "defense" or "acceptance" issue, but one of political incorrectness, and I'm certain the question that would come up - of all covers, why did they have to use one depicting Nazi's?

Anyhow, my point was not to contest how you and I perceive the matter, but how others (especially those who don't collect comics) would look at the choice of collecting or publicly displaying such material.

I still don't get it. I think you're assuming that your point is obvious, so you're not explaining it. If a kid brings in a Cap 1 and shows it to his class class, where's the political incorrectness? I'm not arguing with you, I just don't see what you're saying.

I would say not hard to believe at all. Especially since the same experssion Chespirito just posted in another thread offended a long-standing boardie (and mod no less).

I don't see the connection between what is going on in those links and people objecting to GA covers showing people fighting Nazis. No matter how exquisitely sensitive you may be, how can you object to a depiction of evil people being attacked? Not glorified, but attacked. Doing so goes beyond political correctness to ... I don't know what.

I don't see the connection between what is going on in those links and people objecting to GA covers showing people fighting Nazis. No matter how exquisitely sensitive you may be, how can you object to a depiction of evil people being attacked? Not glorified, but attacked. Doing so goes beyond political correctness to ... I don't know what.

I know. I'm sure it's not his point, but it sounds like cw is saying that it's politically incorrect and insensitive to depict evil stuff (Nazis specifically) in any manner, in any context; that the only right thing to do is hide it completely and never speak of it again.

I probably missed where this was pointed out, and it's also probably irrelevant to the theme of the thread, but isn't "aryan" a Sanskrit word, identifying the people of the Hindus valley? I know, it's got strong connotations, but I figured it's worth giving benefit of the doubt, since we are a bit international here on the internet. :)

Nazi Boards shill name thread.

galumpkis

Galumpkis is the polish word for cabbage rolls. Cabbage rolls contain ground beef, rice and tomato sauce mixed together and rolled into a cabbage leaf and then baked.

I know. I'm sure it's not his point, but it sounds like cw is saying that it's politically incorrect and insensitive to depict evil stuff (Nazis specifically) in any manner, in any context; that the only right thing to do is hide it completely and never speak of it again.

Ah! The old if we hide it theory. hm If we are not aware of our past history,we are doomed to repeat it.

Anybody know if this person is still a member?

They posted up :takeit: on a couple of books in my sales thread back on 9/18 - PM'ed that they would be making payment in a couple of days. Then has not responded to any follow-up PM's since that time - and the PM's all show that they have reading them.

Inglorious Bastid! :insane:

I'm not really understanding this. The problem with "Aryan" as a name is that it's self-identifying. Showing a Cap 1, where Cap is actually punching Hitler in the face, is not a way in which to demonstrate that you're identifying with Hitler. (Unless your hypothetical kid uses the picture to argue that Hitler was "misunderstood" or something similarly hateful.)

So, apples and oranges. Showing off a Cap comic represents a cultural moment in American history. Painting a swastika on your car (for example) demonstrates that you're a neo-nazi.

When my dad died, I found a 4-ft high stack of books in his house about nazis. Why did he have so many books about nazis? Because he used to sneak up on them in the dead of night and cut their throats while they were sleeping in their camps. Again, context.