• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Board member ARYAN

450 posts in this topic

Right or wrong, it's because the screen name appears, at least to me, to be a tacit (at least) endorsement of Nazis. It's totally possible that I'm wrong, I can't see into anyone's mind, but that's how it appears to me. A comic cover showing Hitler getting punched by a guy wearing the American Flag, on the other hand, tells just about the opposite story.

Now, can you explain to me why someone would be offended by seeing Hitler getting taken out by Captain America?

It's possible that we are both wrong. BUT, the response in the case of the screen name choice was one where boardie's who were offended by it quickly arrived at their own conclusions. I concur with the sentiment that a different choice of names would have been wiser, but the attack mode people went into was far different from the tolerance you're showing toward comic's depicting this imagery.

I personally find it equally deplorable that i) a publisher was using Nazi sensationalism to sell comics; and ii) that a secondary market exists for people who seek out this type of thing. It just creeps me out when someone asks me if I have any covers with Nazi's or swastikas. Those seeking (and I'm referring here to the guys who weren't on the battle lines and are disconnected from time and place) seems to be charmed by it more than any willingness to be educated. Something I feel is very different from the value of learning about what took place through a history lesson. I think my response to the subject was formed from watching war camp film that hadn't been released yet to the public in the late 80's and hearing the experiences of a war camp prisoner who managed to escaped.

The GA covers depicting Cap beating up Nazi's don't bother me, but the ones depicting the Japanese as racial caricatures do.

Same here. I feel a little rough around the edges with the depictions of the Nazis as monsters/pygmies ( ??? ) too...

Last time I'm asking because it is seemingly not coming forward with plain language - why would you be offended by a screen name and not material depicting the same symbol/wording/imagery?

Because the screen name is an endorsement of an ideology, and could be perceived (rightly) as a desire to aggrandize one's status through one's race.

And the GA comic, regardless of how contentious and exploitative it may seem to the onlooker, is not.

Last time I'm asking because it is seemingly not coming forward with plain language - why would you be offended by a screen name and not material depicting the same symbol/wording/imagery?

Because the screen name is an endorsement of an ideology, and could be perceived (rightly) as a desire to aggrandize one's status through one's race.

And the other, regardless of how contentious and exploitative it may seem to the onlooker, is not.

But the boardie explained their reason? Made up or not, there were some boardie's who made the same argument of it having a different meaning.

And on the second, Timely et al publishers should have found another way to monetize their comic business. Sorry, I don't buy the argument that it was "the times" - depicting racial policy, ideology or insensitivity towards ethnic groups was all about selling comic books.

Yep, and I was just scanning those Charlton Flying Nurses covers after Hado posted about the series - seeing the cover from issue 7 did the same.

It's unfortunate but that's how things were back then. I am reading some Spirit mags now and the Ebony White character is not cool :(

has anyone mentioned about the name being in all CAPS? :mad:

No one mentioned that.

BTW, before you point out why is my screen name is in ALL CAPS, you know it's an acronym right? Just checking.

I'm offended by Little Lotta comics.10_8_5.gif

Big man, you were sorely missed while you were on vacation!

Thanks for bringing levity to this thread.

Litta Lotta?

YIKES!

Z-LittleLotta.jpg

Thanks.I think what's missing here is that comics depicting Hitler were all about beating the ENEMY,not about glorifying an ideology in todays world.

And the other, regardless of how contentious and exploitative it may seem to the onlooker, is not.

But the boardie explained their reason? And on the second, Timely et al publishers should have found another way to monetize their comic business. Sorry, I don't buy the argument that it was "the times" - depicting racial policy, ideology or insensitivity towards ethnic groups was all about making money.

No question it was a moneymaking exercise in propaganda (of a sort), but it wasn't Nazi propaganda.

By all means don't buy the argument about the times and the mores of the era. At the end of the day, the comics are still a product of that era, regardless of the publisher's cynicism. And I would disagree that the comics were depicting "racial policy or ideology" through the caricatures, but rather a tawdry, admittedly grim way of belittling an enemy who, lest we forget, were in the process of committing genocide.

Call it insensitivity to ethnic groups if you will. Provided the images shown regularly on the GA forum are kept within that historical context and observed as such with respect to any Asian or German boardies, that they are a historical artifact that is not equable with the industrial, incalculable slaughter invoked by the name Aryan (regardless of whether the boardie in question denies it) then that is fine.

It's the reason no-one here has a screen name like Hitler, or Final Solution.

He paid for the Marvel Spotlight #5 CGC 9.2 he bought from me. This was a few weeks ago. He also said he had been suspended indefinitely or until he changed his name. He stated wan't going to come back because he refused to change his name. He reiterated that it was not racial. I saw his Google plus profile pic, he wasn't blonde and blue eyed. Not sure if he was even Caucasian (not that it matters).

I still have his email, I will email him if the OP wants me to.