• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny Avengers... I think not.

137 posts in this topic

Bite me Marvel.

lobo.gif

130668.jpg

With a bum arm!

Bisley's art is really divergent.

Some are underground gritty, others are very Frazetta

biz0018.jpg

I'd never be able to buy an original Bisley, but I would love to see one up close.

I don't fully understand the angst on this subject. If you like chasing variants, go nuts. If you don't, just buy the cover that most appeals to you and leave it at that.

Surely you all have enough free will where you are not likely to feel coerced into buying covers you don't want?

Also, it's promotional tools like this which allow retailers to carry and support low print run books which on their own wouldn't sell enough to be worthwhile stocking. It's a little like an actor doing a blockbuster movie to subsidize an art house film. 2c

It's also the entire reason why the industry crashed in the early 90s.

I always figured that the Wizard hype, speculating and general gullibility of fans not understanding some of the finer points of the "investment" side of the hobby was what hurt it in the 90s. The variant concept is just a reminder of those dark days, I think.

I'll be following the series for the story. Rick Remender was great on Uncanny X-Force so curious to see how this goes. Taht and it'll be nice to see the Avengers fight good villains for a change like Red Skull and Kang, since bendis had them fight The Hood, Ninjas and Norman Osborn issues after issue.

I'll be following the series for the story. Rick Remender was great on Uncanny X-Force so curious to see how this goes. Taht and it'll be nice to see the Avengers fight good villains for a change like Red Skull and Kang, since bendis had them fight The Hood, Ninjas and Norman Osborn issues after issue.

[font:Book Antiqua]Bendis use Kang in Avengers # 1-6 (2010) story arc...[/font] :gossip:

[font:Book Antiqua]Bendis use Kang in Avengers # 1-6 (2010) story arc...[/font] :gossip:

Yeah, not very well though.

I don't fully understand the angst on this subject. If you like chasing variants, go nuts. If you don't, just buy the cover that most appeals to you and leave it at that.

Surely you all have enough free will where you are not likely to feel coerced into buying covers you don't want?

Also, it's promotional tools like this which allow retailers to carry and support low print run books which on their own wouldn't sell enough to be worthwhile stocking. It's a little like an actor doing a blockbuster movie to subsidize an art house film. 2c

I always figured that the Wizard hype, speculating and general gullibility of fans not understanding some of the finer points of the "investment" side of the hobby was what hurt it in the 90s. The variant concept is just a reminder of those dark days, I think.

Hype recommended_dl.gif

Speculation recommended_dl.gif

Gullibility recommended_dl.gif

90s redux here we come!

I had been giving serious thought to collecting Uncanny Avengers from Marvel's new NOW line that begins this month. However, once I found out that issue #1 consisted of EIGHTEEN different covers, I decided to give it a pass.

Bite me Marvel. I hope the variant cover craze crashes, burns, and dies the fiery death it so richly deserves.

I blame all of this on Walking Dead #100.

:P

Amazing Spiderman #700 - 1 in 700 variant!

I kid you not

ASM 700 1 in 700 Variant? WTF? I will wait for the 9.8 slab. lol

You'd think they would have learned from that. doh!

Which industry crashed in the early 90s?

You'd think they would have learned from that. doh!

History not only repeats itself, it does it at a very alarming rate.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that many collectors, such as myself, are completists. Factor that in with a limited collecting budget, a desire to have the books graded by a third party grading service, and the fact that it's nothing other than an obscene money grab and it makes it hard to stomach.

I am no stranger to variant covers. I have 91 Astonishing X-Men books. The series is only on issue 54. It would be nice to branch out and collect a few of the new titles. However, given a situation where there are eighteen variants of number alone, it makes it impractical. I would also be fearful of the number of variants other issues might have in the future.

You pesky completionists with your urges to collect all variants are the reason that Marvel have their urges to create all the variants. :baiting::foryou:

History has shown that manufactured collectible comics due to multiple variant covers = Bad

Manufactured collectible comics due to well written stories and cleverly designed new characters = Good

Creativity is dead in comics so this is the only way they can sell new books.

I say let it crash. The ship will be righted and it will correct itself.

...or it wont.

I won't shed a tear either way.

Creativity is dead in comics so this is the only way they can sell new books.

[font:Book Antiqua]I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU IN THIS POINT...[/font]

(tsk)

And I don't care what you disagree with. :gossip:

A lot of it has to do with the fact that many collectors, such as myself, are completists. Factor that in with a limited collecting budget, a desire to have the books graded by a third party grading service, and the fact that it's nothing other than an obscene money grab and it makes it hard to stomach.

I am no stranger to variant covers. I have 91 Astonishing X-Men books. The series is only on issue 54. It would be nice to branch out and collect a few of the new titles. However, given a situation where there are eighteen variants of number alone, it makes it impractical. I would also be fearful of the number of variants other issues might have in the future.

You pesky completionists with your urges to collect all variants are the reason that Marvel have their urges to create all the variants. :baiting::foryou:

You aren't a true collector. I wouldn't expect you to understand. :baiting: