• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

If you did all that work and had to create 200+ invoices and packages, would I expect you do it for free?

I would do it for free.

Maybe I'm biased because I regularly donate to CBLDF, but I don't like the idea of money being left on the table.

The CBLDF does a lot of good for creators and I don't like the idea of them losing out.

Well that wasnt meant for you Jimmy :P

Youre a boss homie

Are they really losing out though? This is an opportunity for those not attending to support CBLDF

Edited by wushugushu

the CBLDF know that the book is going to be a hot property and makes no sense for them to presell a huge chunk of the entire print run to a small group of people before the show.

it makes perfect sense for them to do so. They were going to be sold at the con for a 5 or 10 dollar donation. The books on here went for a 20 dollar donation.

You're forgetting that the main income stream for the CBLDF is through memberships (which start at $25) - bringing people to the CBLDF booth and, hopefully, upselling the ones who just went to pick up a couple of copies of their latest exclusive, is how they make their money.

It's no different than how a comic book store works - a smart store owner will always prefer to sell 100 copies of a hot book to 100 customers than 100 copies to just 1 guy; no matter whether the BSD customer pays a couple of extra $ or not.

If you did all that work and had to create 200+ invoices and packages, should I expect you do it for free?

Before Menace opened his thread I was looking to pay someones admission to get some copies ha

in the case that this were being done for a charity, yes. i would expect it to be done gratis since it's for a good cause. that is the very definition of the word charity. not hey i'll do this for a good cause only if it puts a couple bucks in my pocket.

also imo these should not have been allowed to be backdoored like this in the first place, period. but if they were going to at least all the money should have went to charity.

btw i sell on ebay a lot, comics and sports cards and know what pain shipping is. but i would create invoices, sort, and ship all day for 2k, i'll tell you that much. 2k is a lot of money and it's not like this guy as to go dig 200 ditches for the money. he is shipping comic books.

Edited by Mike-Honcho

If you did all that work and had to create 200+ invoices and packages, would I expect you do it for free?

I would do it for free.

Maybe I'm biased because I regularly donate to CBLDF, but I don't like the idea of money being left on the table.

The CBLDF does a lot of good for creators and I don't like the idea of them losing out.

Well that wasnt meant for you Jimmy :P

Youre a boss homie

Are they really losing out though? This is an opportunity for those not attending to support CBLDF

CBLDF would have put all unsold copies on there website.

They also probably wouldnt have brought all of their copies to the con.

As a Canadien who has a hell of a time finding books like Black Kiss II , we need the CBLDF and they need all the money they can get!

Boxing comics is terrible. It takes make 10-15 per package, so $10 is fine with me. It was people getting 5 copies. If you want it to have, then get one. You are not going to have 5 sitting in a box in the corner of your room. You are going to have 4 of them on eBay because you're to nervous about putting them on the forum.

If you did all that work and had to create 200+ invoices and packages, should I expect you do it for free?

Before Menace opened his thread I was looking to pay someones admission to get some copies ha

in the case that this were being done for a charity, yes. i would expect it to be done gratis since it's for a good cause. that is the very definition of the word charity. not hey i'll do this for a good cause only if it puts a couple bucks in my pocket.

also imo these should not have been allowed to be backdoored like this in the first place, period. but if they were going to at least all the money should have went to charity.

btw i sell on ebay a lot, comics and sports cards and know what pain shipping is. but i would create invoices, sort, and ship all day for 2k, i'll tell you that much. 2k is a lot of money and it's not like this guy as to go dig 200 ditches for the money. he is shipping comic books.

How about for free?

If any of us had a problem with him making a few bucks per issue I dont think the list would have filled up so quickily.

I understand what youre saying though but is it not just as easy to not purchase them from him if you dont agree with him profitting??

Edited by wushugushu

How about for free?

If any of us had a problem with him making a few bucks per issue I dont think the list would have filled up so quickily.

I understand what youre saying though but is it not just as easy to not purchase them from him if you dont agree with him profitting??

look not trying to get in a fight with you or anyone here. it is what is. but obviously the reason people had no problem buying them from him was because everyone saw dollar signs. they saw a opportunity to get in on something and make a profit, which is the purpose of flipping comics, buy low sell high. i understand that and am all for it.

i just disagree with the method and motives of this particular venture is all. this was meant for the comic con and meant for charity. now it is being backdoored to a select few who have knowledge of this board for profit. now the masses who were going to stand in line for a hour or more are left out with almost half the print run gobbled up. no doubt i'm sure many of them are lining up and buying for fun and profit too, but i guess i just think rules are rules and should be followed sometimes. just leaves a bad taste is all.

Edited by Mike-Honcho

Id like to see how many of the people offended by this even have CBDLF memberships :D

Anyway maybe theyll have some left overs on their site after the con

2013 membership cards havnt shipped yet :cry:

Yes, still waiting for mine (but nowhere near Portland so doesn't matter). I think the website said they were shipping in early February, but nothing in the mailbox yet...

Is there even a limit on what you can get if you were to attend the con? No limitations posted on CBLDF/ECCC sites.

I had no trouble getting multiples of exclusives at the few times Ive been to a major con and Ive seen people buy large stacks as well.

Theres also the fact that we are paying more than the original price

i dont think its the per person amount that is the issue. A convention exclusive being pre-sold outside the convention, is more of where the back lash is coming from. Obviously all 500 wont be sold, but if it was, could you even call that a convention exclusive any more?

Turning it into a direct market book, via the boards, that's the quandary.

Wow just came to check this thread this morning... I don't see it this way it is not being sold outside the show. I won't get mine until I walk in, and yes I was going before this I own and run a studio and was promoting our comics and art.

I'll play - I think they'll cap it at less than 100.

i think he had the 200 before he actually managed to resell them. There is a big backlash playing out behind the scenes to all this. If he gets capped at 100, it will be in response to pressure from others.

I kind of assumed there would be.

I think it's great that Menace offered this service for people who aren't going to show, but once I saw the multi-orders streaming in, I had a feeling it was going to be iffy ... the CBLDF know that the book is going to be a hot property and makes no sense for them to presell a huge chunk of the entire print run to a small group of people before the show.

It makes total sense, everyone was just planning on going in and paying 5$ per book for multiple copies and reselling them later.

$10 is fine with me for administration, running about and packaging.

I agree....Taking into account that not everyone is able to make to the con and Menace is providing an avenue for collectors/speculators to grab this book.

Another thing that should be pointed out is that Menace fully disclosed the costs that

didn't prevent an avalanche of orders