• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to say no?

80 posts in this topic

I will, on occasion, post WTB threads only to ignore all the posts in them & remove myself without reply to all related PM's.

When you get bored with this menial task, you could graduate to lining long spikes underneath the wheels of your neighbours cars and open a plug repair shop out of your garage.

Screw the economy - charge $50 for each tire plug and keep a bucket nearby to return the spikes to Home Depot for a refund.

There are people in buy/sale threads who aren't active in other parts of the site. I've had good experiences with them but they're just not conversational. I can understand them removing the PM if the deal isn't going to happen. I'd rather see a quiet departure than a rude reply.

I think you did nothing wrong, Hado. :)

I will, on occasion, post WTB threads only to ignore all the posts in them & remove myself without reply to all related PM's.

(worship)

Oh, and if Home Depot gives you a hard time for returning spikes you never bought from them, have a few cards printed with the url of this thread and tell them they can whine all they want here.

Ok, backstory time;

On a few occasions I've had people offer a book or books from a Want to buy thread. I've purchased some that were offered but a few times either the book was too expensive or shipping was too much or it wasn't what the WTB thread specified I was looking for. You get the idea.

When this has happened I've been polite, said thanks for showing me your goods but I'll pass, then I give my reason. On more than a few occasions the seller has either gotten annoyed or quickly removed themself from the PM conversation.

Am I not wording or handling this properly? Or do some people not understand that showing a potential buyer a book isn't a bill of sale?

Any advice is greatly appreciated (thumbs u

Sounds like you are doing just fine.

One thing, and I may be wrong here, but isn;t "removing yourself from the PM" just a really dumb message when the person deletes a PM? Why they phrase it that way is beyond me and makes the PM deleter sound like they are dissing you.

If that is true, it makes perfect sense if, as has been said, someone gets a lot of PMs and they delete them as they go to keep things manageable.

Thing is, PM chain has to end somewhere. So you get their PM about a WTB. You deicde against it and PM them back. That should be the end of it, IMO.

Or the following can occur:

Seller PM 1 - Yes, I have SuperDuperHopper #117 in CGC 9.4 for $1,000. Here's a link to scans.

Buyer PM 1 - Hey, thanks for contacting me. It is a nice book but more than I can afford. I will have to keep looking.

Seller PM 2 - Hey, no problem. Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it.

Buyer PM 2 - Yeah, don;t you hate when you just don;t hear back? :pullhair:

Seller PM 3 - lol. I know what you mean. They could at least just say "no thanks."

Buyer PM 4 - I hear that. Guess some boardies were never taught manners!

Seller PM 4 - Yeah.

Buyer PM 5 - I know

Seller PM 6 (thumbs u

Buyer PM 6 - :applause:

...Continue cycling through smilies.

Ok, backstory time;

On a few occasions I've had people offer a book or books from a Want to buy thread. I've purchased some that were offered but a few times either the book was too expensive or shipping was too much or it wasn't what the WTB thread specified I was looking for. You get the idea.

When this has happened I've been polite, said thanks for showing me your goods but I'll pass, then I give my reason. On more than a few occasions the seller has either gotten annoyed or quickly removed themself from the PM conversation.

Am I not wording or handling this properly? Or do some people not understand that showing a potential buyer a book isn't a bill of sale?

Any advice is greatly appreciated (thumbs u

Sounds like you are doing just fine.

One thing, and I may be wrong here, but isn;t "removing yourself from the PM" just a really dumb message when the person deletes a PM? Why they phrase it that way is beyond me and makes the PM deleter sound like they are dissing you.

If that is true, it makes perfect sense if, as has been said, someone gets a lot of PMs and they delete them as they go to keep things manageable.

Thing is, PM chain has to end somewhere. So you get their PM about a WTB. You deicde against it and PM them back. That should be the end of it, IMO.

Or the following can occur:

Seller PM 1 - Yes, I have SuperDuperHopper #117 in CGC 9.4 for $1,000. Here's a link to scans.

Buyer PM 1 - Hey, thanks for contacting me. It is a nice book but more than I can afford. I will have to keep looking.

Seller PM 2 - Hey, no problem. Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it.

Buyer PM 2 - Yeah, don;t you hate when you just don;t hear back? :pullhair:

Seller PM 3 - lol. I know what you mean. They could at least just say "no thanks."

Buyer PM 4 - I hear that. Guess some boardies were never taught manners!

Seller PM 4 - Yeah.

Buyer PM 5 - I know

Seller PM 6 (thumbs u

Buyer PM 6 - :applause:

...Continue cycling through smilies.

Seller PM 7 - :censored:

Every time you remove yourself from a pm thread a puppy dies :sorry:
Mine inbox reads: Quota: 2079 of 30000

One of them has over 800 replies.

Mines only 723 but you've been here a lot longer than me.

I generally clean up my inbox because I like it clean. I still have some threads that are still active and they aren't removed. If you still want to converse send a PM--it's not rocket science.

Once someone removes themselves from a pm thread with me, I tear my beard and consider them dead to me lol

Every time you remove yourself from a pm thread a puppy dies :sorry:
Mine inbox reads: Quota: 2079 of 30000

One of them has over 800 replies.

Mines only 723 but you've been here a lot longer than me.

A lot of mine were lost when the boards format made the big switch. PM's didn't used to be threaded.