• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

Isn't there a company in the coin hobby that does this same thing? I could have sworn I'd heard about this before.

I just read an online article about this new service and yes, they mention coins.

A couple of other thoughts:

- I hope checking the CGC grader's notes is a mandatory part of this process, so any interior defects can be known.

- I don't see any detail on their website about their standards. Sound familiar?

- They have all of 2 "frequently asked questions".

- Is this simply a case of having a preference of one defect over another? The ONLY benefit I can think of such a service is to reject bad wraps, cuts or centering; things not taken into account when grading, and things we can all see for ourselves anyway.

- What would be the point of a CVA sticker on, say, a 0.5 graded book? As such, I should think there would be a minimum grade cutoff.

- I hope checking the CGC grader's notes is a mandatory part of this process, so any interior defects can be known.

I think this is all about eye appeal. I don't think actual grade factors into the equation.

I think this is all about eye appeal. I don't think actual grade factors into the equation.

So take a 4.0 that looks like a 10.0 through the plastic but has scribbles on every page. Would that get a Gold sticker? Might not be a "prime example in grade" if interior defects aren't considered.

Question not directed at you obviously.

I think the point is to "help " collectors identify certain 8.0 books they might like to own more than "other" 8.0 books. And again I think the only differential is in the wrapping/centering/cut. What else could it be?

So take a 4.0 that looks like a 10.0 through the plastic but has scribbles on every page. Would that get a Gold sticker?

Question not directed at you obviously.

I think it would, yes.

"In every field, collectors want exceptional value for their money - the certified comic book field is no exception. Now there is an easy way to identify comic books with higher visual appeal than others assigned the same numerical grade by CGC - simply look for the CVA Exceptional sticker."

Are they in partnership with CGC?

Are they part of the grading process?

Are they making their judgment of "higher visual appeal" just by looking through the case?

Are they in partnership with CGC?

Are they part of the grading process?

Are they making their judgment of "higher visual appeal" just by looking through the case?

No, No, Yes.

And I'm sure it's not free. So that "added value" of having the comic in the same grade, but with greater eye appeal, comes with a premium. "The guide goes straight out the window on this 8.0, it's really nice!"

So they buy a bunch of 8.0's and put stickers on them and sell them for more?

I don't think you naysayers get it. It's a hologram sticker. Who cares what it means or how much it costs , it's a HOLOGRAM STICKER! :whee:

lol

Brilliant.

130847.jpg

You didn't show the way the sticker looks if someone decides to tamper with it

cva-rollover-2.jpg