• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

For the 3rd time, can a miswrapped book get a gold exceptional sticker?

I guess that depends on the "tier" you selected! lol

How do you assess "great, exceptional, and superb" eye appeal? Do you actually have a standard or are you pulling it out of your ? What loon would pay more for your sticker?

So the seller Mitch had a problem with, who described his comics in excellent near mint condition was on to to something?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6060054&nt=8&fpart=1

:roflmao:

I'm starting to feel like my miswrap question is being avoided which leads me to believe that a miswrapped can and will receive gold stickers. If that's the case, I REALLY want to hear how this isn't just a money grab on people that don't know any better.

1. We do not use CGC notes for multiple reasons. The main reason is that CGC does not always record the notes for books submitted and thus books we review would be on uneven footing. In other words any book that CGC did not record notes for would be at an advantage.

2. We evaluate both eye appeal and structure. We do not necessarily endorse a book just because it can be upgraded. A potential upgrade could actually have low eye appeal in its current state for the grade given.

CGC does not always record the notes for 9.8s. Any other grade you should be able to get the notes. Why is a nice-looking 9.2 with interior pen marks (unknown to you) more "exceptional" than one with a spine stress mark?

I am now convinced this is pointless and bad for the hobby, because graders' notes and interior defects are not considered. I do not want this in the hobby. I will vote my preference by boycotting the October ComicLink auction.

We're already paying people to grade our coins, cards, and comics, so this isn't such a great leap. If what is basically an informed opinion can be numerically quantified (and to one decimal place, no less, at least for comics), then what can't be "verified" about an item by "professionals"? All for our benefit, of course...

Personally, I'm all for a "smell or odor" verification service. If a book is musty, was used as an ash tray, or stinks of cat pee, it would be great if someone else could smell it for me first--and make it go away--before it lands in my mailbox.

The concept sound silly of course, probably as silly as the first time the concept of grading and stabbing comic sounded that first time.

Indeed, courtesy of me, circa 1999:

...it's called the "Comics Guaranty Corporation" and I hope it fails miserably b/c as you state, it's simply going to add more $ to a hobby that's already too pricey. I've yet to really see any ads or people putting this stuff on ebay, but you know it's inevitable...and sad :(. Look for the big NY dealers to "unveil" these pre-graded/sealed comics in the next few months, and hold on...hopefully it won't ruin our hobby.

Freaking "big NY dealers"! lol

1. We do not use CGC notes for multiple reasons. The main reason is that CGC does not always record the notes for books submitted and thus books we review would be on uneven footing. In other words any book that CGC did not record notes for would be at an advantage.

2. We evaluate both eye appeal and structure. We do not necessarily endorse a book just because it can be upgraded. A potential upgrade could actually have low eye appeal in its current state for the grade given.

CGC does not always record the notes for 9.8s. Any other grade you should be able to get the notes

I think the grading tier has more to do with no notes being retained than the grade a comic receives. I've caught a few books which had CT removed on them submitted using a tier which made sure no notes were created or saved.

In the car business we called this the "window appraisal". Some managers never went out and looked the car they were appraising. The got up and looked out the window making a cursory examination form afar. The car could have a blown engine, slippy transmission, or smelled like a garbage dump. They never knew. Looking at a book through the slab can only give you a "window appraisal" of the item. You need to get it out of the slab and see how it really looks. What if the book has a light color hiding crease that will not been seen through the plastic slab? How do you sticker that?

What am I missing here? Will you pay more for an 8.5 Action 399 with the CVA label on it? I am really trying to understand this new service......

In the car business we called this the "window appraisal". Some managers never went out and looked the car they were appraising. The got up and looked out the window making a cursory examination form afar. The car could have a blown engine, slippy transmission, or smelled like a garbage dump. They never knew. Looking at a book through the slab can only give you a "window appraisal" of the item. You need to get it out of the slab and see how it really looks. What if the book has a light color hiding crease that will not been seen through the plastic slab? How do you sticker that?

What am I missing here? Will you pay more for an 8.5 Action 399 with the CVA label on it? I am really trying to understand this new service......

(thumbs u

Also what do you think of a dealer who will implement this... is it for the "customers" benefit. Or is it a ploy to squeeze.... just a little more juice with the addition of a Krrappy little sticker?

I actually think that assigning an eye appeal grade independent of the structural grade is a long overdue evolution of 3rd party grading and have been advocating for such a service since my early days on the boards, over 10 years ago.

I personally pay a premium for well-centered books with good color, no Marvel chipping or other "production" defects that CGC doesn't account for, no writing, no date stamps, good printing registration, proper staple placement, etc.,.

However, if this new layer does attempt to incorporate structural defects (creases, spine stresses, etc.,.) and doesn't downgrade for miswraps, it's worthless. Structural integrity and aesthetic eye appeal need to be handled as independent grades for something like this to work, and if they're not, that's lame.