• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHIZ #2 (#1s)...

136 posts in this topic

Seriously that is an awesome Whiz and I would have left it the way it was. :cry:
CGC rewards you for adding scotch tape to some of the biggest books in the hobby. Look at sparklecity, every detached key they find from OO collections are reattached with tape. You can only get mad at cgc because its their fault for enabling such a practice. Look at peewee, a couple of extra bucks changed his entire perception on keeping a book 100% original. If I had a key with a detached cover, I wouldn't tape it up while it was my collection. If it was ever time to sell though, I'd have it taped up for one reason. If I don't then someone else will.

The book looks much better, got a better grade, and is at max value.

Anyone who has (or will get) a detached key book will probably have to ponder this. hm

I have a detached book and didn't bother taping it. Not a tape fan at all.

DK, if it's a Tec 27 I bet you would be! lol

i have a superman 1 that if I added tape would increase value 10-20k in a higher cgc grade yet I refuse to add tape!

Anyone who has (or will get) a detached key book will probably have to ponder this. hm

i have a superman 1 that if I added tape would increase value 10-20k in a higher cgc grade yet I refuse to add tape!

Let's assume you decide to sell that Sup 1. Would you add tape? hm

Not defending the tape process it is what it is.

If I recall, someone on the Boards had a Tec 27 (or 29) that added tape and increased the resale value. Can't recall who did that.

it is and has been for sale...as is!

Years ago I would have added tape (like the 27 you are referring too) but over time I see how if one truly loves the hobby they work to protect rather than harm...money has become the motivation for many , and while I am not opposed to making money selling comics , I just now feel that manipulating a comic in a way that causes or can cause harm (like adding tape) is not a route I will take (thumbs u

If I recall, someone on the Boards had a Tec 27 (or 29) that added tape and increased the resale value. Can't recall who did that.

Years ago I would have added tape (like the 27 you are referring too) but over time I see how if one truly loves the hobby they work to protect rather than harm...money has become the motivation for many , and while I am not opposed to making money selling comics , I just now feel that manipulating a comic in a way that causes or can cause harm (like adding tape) is not a route I will take (thumbs u

I'm cool with that. Next time (if there is a next time), I may rethink. hm

I thought about it over and over and asked a few people their thoughts..

The cover was totally detached and 90 percent split. A 2.0 looks much better than a 1.5 or 1.8.

Sometimes to get along you have to go along. hm

Odd comment. Do you mean milk it for everything its got on resale?

Why do most people apply tape to an expensive book? lol

I think the best bet would be to get it restored professionally. Yeah, it'll come back purple label, but the book has been saved. That's what I plan to do with my Punch 12, which has a split spine.

Seriously that is an awesome Whiz and I would have left it the way it was. :cry:
CGC rewards you for adding scotch tape to some of the biggest books in the hobby. Look at sparklecity, every detached key they find from OO collections are reattached with tape. You can only get mad at cgc because its their fault for enabling such a practice. Look at peewee, a couple of extra bucks changed his entire perception on keeping a book 100% original. If I had a key with a detached cover, I wouldn't tape it up while it was my collection. If it was ever time to sell though, I'd have it taped up for one reason. If I don't then someone else will.

Tape would add $$$ for the seller, but at times the market will price books (for the know) accordingly with possible tape upgrade anyways. The long term damaging effects of tape on the book is irreversible and the book is no longer 100% original as you mentioned. I think this is peewee22 first time having a book, so I wouldn't take it too hard on him. It his book and at least he's aware of how others feels about it.

I'm generally okay with CGC's rules and wisdom but the taping issues is truly moronic. If there ever was an issue they really needed to fix, it is this one, even if it means changing policy 12 years after you started. At least give it a purple label.

It will be interesting to see how perceptions on tape will affect the values in the future. It used to be okay to add a few dots of marker as well to increase the value of the book.
i know i no longer buy books that have the obvious tape added. I have liked many Sparklecity books but didnt (and won't) bid on a single one with added tape. I know I would have paid more for Brandon's whiz 1 as. 1.5 w/o tape than I would with as a 2.0 with tape. So IMO it is worth less now (even with higher cgc #) than it was before (nothing personal B just stating my opinion) and I know many collectors adopting this approach these days which is why I am avoiding books with tape added

I'm cool with that. Next time (if there is a next time), I may rethink. hm

lol

I've seen a sprinkle of recently taped up books sell for much less than their assigned grade and books with detached covers sell for about fmv or even higher. This could be the new trend moving forward as some collectors are realizing what the original book would have been graded before it got taped up.

(worship)

I'm generally okay with CGC's rules and wisdom but the taping issues is truly moronic. If there ever was an issue they really needed to fix, it is this one, even if it means changing policy 12 years after you started. At least give it a purple label.

I'm with you Cheetah. I think any taped book (whether it was done 40 years ago or yesterday) should be given the PLOD with Amateur resto. Because really that is what it is.

It will be interesting to see how perceptions on tape will affect the values in the future. It used to be okay to add a few dots of marker as well to increase the value of the book.
i know i no longer buy books that have the obvious tape added. I have liked many Sparklecity books but didnt (and won't) bid on a single one with added tape. I know I would have paid more for Brandon's whiz 1 as. 1.5 w/o tape than I would with as a 2.0 with tape. So IMO it is worth less now (even with higher cgc #) than it was before (nothing personal B just stating my opinion) and I know many collectors adopting this approach these days which is why I am avoiding books with tape added

Not sure about that one Rick. Even though it is tape, the book clearly is worth more in a 2.0 slab. I think we'd all be surprised what the average collector would pay for a 2.0 Whiz, with or without tape, but I'm fairly certain it would go for more than a 1.5. (thumbs u

Only comparable sale (that I'm aware of) is a 1.0 on HA awhile back for 10k. I think we'd have to 2x that, comparably, for starters.

Of course the world may never know...

132192.jpg.ae7b2aa72d6b3240a6902f84d12aaa69.jpg

Im glad to hear collectors taking this approach.

I add tape to all my books, whether they need it or not. I just dig the way it makes the spine shine :cloud9:

I just wanted to say. . .

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)