• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new fourth party grading system....CVA Comics

207 posts in this topic

Well CGC is considered third party grading, so this would be fourth party.

smiley_nah.gif

Hey Rocky how's it going,you must be in a good mood.Your emoticons seem much happier than other days.

Watch out.

If you start sentences with "Hey Rocky," we're gonna start callin' you Bullwinkle instead of Oakland. :baiting:

lol

rocky_and_bullwinkle.jpg

131026.jpg.f0d8cf4cfe2811de8195890881e32356.jpg

Glad we were able to keep this on topic.

Does it really need to be seeings that there's another thread a few spots down that has just under 1000 posts spanning over a week? :makepoint:

exactly. feel like michael corleone: "just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in"

And I dont think their service only states that a book is eye appealing it tells you that a book is properly graded.

It might be possible to verify a grade on a slabbed coin, but not a slabbed comic. The interior is as much a part of the grade as the exterior.

Which is one reason why this is a gratuitous service. The problem is that the cost for this new unnecessary service will be passed onto the buyer/collector and this is most unfortunate. It's very clever to initially provide free services to the dealers in an attempt to get their sanction and present their product in a way that would make it extremely difficult for the buyer's market to avoid this added expense. This attempt to label copies is an insult to any collector with a good sense to identify a nice copy. Perhaps the solution to this is to either request that each dealer remove the sticker before anyone agrees to pay for the book or remove it so that the sticker is limited to distribution at the "dealer/auction house level?" That will send a message that attempts to "stack the deck" and raise costs will not be tolerated by knowledgeable collectors.

And I dont think their service only states that a book is eye appealing it tells you that a book is properly graded.
Wouldn't that require opening it?

You found the flaw in the system.

Here's another flaw:

How can they determine whether a book has "exceptional eye appeal" if that book is the only CGC graded existing copy for a given tier?

To simply look at a book through a "slabbed filter" in absolute terms without any relative examination is an extremely limited way to determine a book's eye appeal.

I'd have more respect for this "process if these guys simply acknowledge this and refuse to evaluate single existing graded copies in a given tier.

Wouldn't that require opening it?

You found the flaw in the system.

Not the only one either. I think this company is more ridiculous than PGX and I think it's a safe bet that every comic sold by the company founders will have that sticker regardless of how it looks. The miswraps with the stickers point that direction and the way the company engages in conversation while simultaniously avoiding important questions points to PGX level of integrity. I simply don't trust them. Luckily as long as the slab is sealed they aren't actually hurting anything, but it's a cash grab. That sticker and their deal with the auction houses is simply meant to milk an extra buck off their flips

Here's another flaw:

How can they determine whether a book has "exceptional eye appeal" if that book is the only CGC graded existing copy for a given tier?

It's simple to determine really. If they own the book and want to sell it, it gets the sticker. If someone else owns the book and pays them, it gets the sticker.

Looking at their web page, I guess the CEO is an attorney. No offense to all the attorneys who can function in the real world (both of them), this business model is what attorneys think you should have so that they avoid actually obligating their service to provide anything. If you think you can start a company while protecting from every possible source of risk, you get a company that charges a fee but won't really tell you what the fee is for.

Well CGC is considered third party grading, so this would be fourth party.

Which, given that they are looking that the book through a slab, haven't inspected any part of the interior, and can only see the front and back cover of the book seems to be ultimately worthless given that 90% of a comic resides between the covers.

It's simply the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. Couldn't you remove the stickers also and move them onto another slab?

No.

They stated the sticker would degrade somehow.

Here's another flaw:

To simply look at a book through a "slabbed filter" in absolute terms without any relative examination is an extremely limited way to determine a book's eye appeal.

The books are evaluated relative to other books in that grade. There is no reason to limit the assessment to that specific issue.

If there is only one 9.6 of that book, it doesn't matter; it is evaluated relative to the 9.6 grade in general.

Here's another flaw:

The books are evaluated relative to other books in that grade. There is no reason to limit the assessment to that specific issue.

If there is only one 9.6 of that book, it doesn't matter; it is evaluated relative to the 9.6 grade in general.

lol

"Your 9.6 is the nicest 9.6 of the 9.6's I've seen (through an outer slab, and an inner well) and that deserves a gold sticker!" :applause: