• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new fourth party grading system....CVA Comics

207 posts in this topic

It's simply the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. Couldn't you remove the stickers also and move them onto another slab?

No.

They stated the sticker would degrade somehow.

Couldn't you print up your own sticker for a fraction of a cent and put them on all your books and say you're a new company that does that?

Yup.

Already in the works.

Dr Balls seal of approval. :grin:

What is the highest rating "2 balls"?

I'm thinking there should be a rarely-used 3-ball rating for freakishly eye-catching books that stop you in your tracks and make you stare. Like, a 9.8 book from the 1930s, for example, should be a 3-baller. hm

Just a thought, but I think "tea bag" could be the highest rating.

It's simply the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. Couldn't you remove the stickers also and move them onto another slab?

No.

They stated the sticker would degrade somehow.

Couldn't you print up your own sticker for a fraction of a cent and put them on all your books and say you're a new company that does that?

Yup.

Already in the works.

Dr Balls seal of approval. :grin:

What is the highest rating "2 balls"?

2 Balls Swingin'

DRBALLSSTAMP.jpg

Well, if CGC takes eye appeal into consideration while it determines the grade of a book, then the need to have a subjective whim add another gratuitous view for an additional fee is satisfied.

It's my open mind that permits me to see this for what it is- gratuitous.

Unfortunately, out of necessity, I might have to purchase a book that has one of these stickers on it. Perhaps with enough participation from boardies, we could have a "Sticker Removal Event?"

Respectfully,

John

So did anyone confront them at NYCC?

I don't think anyone needs to confront them - but they have a variety of unanswered questions that the seem more interested in avoiding instead of clarifying.

That is the Dr. Neff Method of Topical Debating, and is generally frowned upon by people here, so I , too, am curious if anyone talked to them about their "service" at NYCC.

Confront is too strong - sorry.

Did anyone engage them in conversation about the merits of their services?

:screwy:

Only 2 more to knock out mate,then you can be allowed out for a hour or so.

Don't forget to clean up after yourself,theres a good boy. (thumbs u

Im guessing they will start with only pre 1970 books so I dont think the 9.8 question is going to arise too much. As for how will they analize a book in the same grade, it would require someone who has extensive experience in comics and who knows how to grade, and has graded before CGC existed.

I dont know the experience of their staff, but that is how it would need to be done. In coins the person who started the company has been in coins since he was young and knows the ins and outs.

As for assesment of the page quality, how do you do it? CGC has made is very two dimensional when it comes to making an assesment of a comic. The front, the back, and what CGC says about the pages. Right? I'm pretty sure CGC notates if there are any major flaws in an interior such a coupon or big chunk out. Most of those books get qualified grades anyway.

Please keep one thing in mind everyone. When CGC started, it wasn't exactly accepted with open arms. Look at it now. It has set a standard for the industry. All I am saying is do not write this company off without letting them prove themselves.

I really don't know how this could even be compared to CGC. CGC grades the whole book and gives you a numerical grade. CVA tells you it looks pretty in their opinion. CVA will never be accepted by the average collector.

Im guessing they will start with only pre 1970 books so I dont think the 9.8 question is going to arise too much. As for how will they analize a book in the same grade, it would require someone who has extensive experience in comics and who knows how to grade, and has graded before CGC existed.

I dont know the experience of their staff, but that is how it would need to be done. In coins the person who started the company has been in coins since he was young and knows the ins and outs.

As for assesment of the page quality, how do you do it? CGC has made is very two dimensional when it comes to making an assesment of a comic. The front, the back, and what CGC says about the pages. Right? I'm pretty sure CGC notates if there are any major flaws in an interior such a coupon or big chunk out. Most of those books get qualified grades anyway.

Please keep one thing in mind everyone. When CGC started, it wasn't exactly accepted with open arms. Look at it now. It has set a standard for the industry. All I am saying is do not write this company off without letting them prove themselves.

I really don't know how this could even be compared to CGC. CGC grades the whole book and gives you a numerical grade. CVA tells you it looks pretty in their opinion. CVA will never be accepted by the average collector.

Agreed. From what I can tell, CVA is a couple of clowns who look at a slab and say "Yep. This is desirable!". There is no amount of Tony Robbins Jack LaLane Shamwow bullshlt that could ever convince me they do anything at all that justifies having their kind of service. Period.

It's an idlotic cash grab aimed at gullible collectors, which puts them one notch up from people who convince elderly folks to buy aluminum siding.

Well, if CGC takes eye appeal into consideration while it determines the grade of a book, then the need to have a subjective whim add another gratuitous view for an additional fee is satisfied.

Take a look at the 3 golden age 4.0s in the longer CVA thread, and tell me if their eye appeal is the same.

hm

(thumbs u

i_heart_noobs_shirts-rc4b4cfd20040490caaae22d3df3bb8f0_f0czj_512.jpg

:cloud9:

hm

(thumbs u

i_heart_noobs_shirts-rc4b4cfd20040490caaae22d3df3bb8f0_f0czj_512.jpg

:applause:

:cloud9:

Agreed. From what I can tell, CVA is a couple of clowns who look at a slab and say "Yep. This is desirable!". There is no amount of Tony Robbins Jack LaLane Shamwow bullshlt that could ever convince me they do anything at all that justifies having their kind of service. Period.

It's an idlotic cash grab aimed at gullible collectors, which puts them one notch up from people who convince elderly folks to buy aluminum siding.

Somewhere, stored in the digital equivalent of the warehouse at the end of 'Indiana Jones', are similar sentiments regarding a newly proposed comic book grading company called CGC. :grin:

Somewhere, stored in the digital equivalent of the warehouse at the end of 'Indiana Jones', are similar sentiments regarding a newly proposed comic book grading company called CGC. :grin:

2022-10.png

:hi:

Take a look at the 3 golden age 4.0s in the longer CVA thread, and tell me if their eye appeal is the same.

It's a designation, to be sure, but a worthless one.

Since there's no amount of outside-the-slab examination that will reveal hidden defects designating which book is prettier is akin to telling you what your eyes can do just as well on their own without paying someone to do it for you.

Seriously, if it's purely eye appeal then no one has a "special skill" in that area. Everyone has two eyes.

If someone can't look at a 3 books and decide for themselves which one looks prettier then they should take up another hobby, like child talent pageant judge.

Comparing what CGC does; full resto check, page count, hidden interior and exterior defect check, page quality designation, grading and encapsulation, to this new "service" that comes down to "yep, that book's purty." is extraordinarily insulting to the people that have dedicated well over a decade and considerable resources and care to the ACTUAL service they provide.