• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new fourth party grading system....CVA Comics

207 posts in this topic

I want it unfixed!

I will unfix it for $25.

I will tell you that you unfixed it "exceptionally" for an extra $10.

I'm curious how bidders will actually deal with those stickers. If you notice a book you're interested in, then notice it's stickered, will you...

• Not bid, risking someone else gets a bargain? (letting the Venue know you refused to bid due to the sticker)
  • Bid anyway, but request the sticker be removed before delivery (if you win)?
  • Bid high, bid often, establishing legitimacy for the stickers?

If a book you really, really want shows up tagged, what then? (shrug)

No but really... I need someone to tell me that something that was graded by CGC looks nice?

Explain this again for the 37th time because I still cannot fathom why this company exists and will do business after it has been explained after the 36th time.

You know what? If this company is successful we should all kick ourselves for not coming up with a meaningless venture all on our own.

I distinctly remember about twenty different conversations about such a venture, and it was all a joke. Jokes are on all of us.

I'm curious how bidders will actually deal with those stickers. If you notice a book you're interested in, then notice it's stickered, will you...

• Not bid, risking someone else gets a bargain? (letting the Venue know you refused to bid due to the sticker)

First step is to analyze market re-action to the sticker, and do nothing. If everyone does as I do then it's obvious where this will go.

If it's a book I REALLY want then I will bid no differently.

If I ever bid in these auctions, I'd bid in this one no differently, sticker or no.

First step is to analyze market re-action to the sticker, and do nothing. If everyone does as I do then it's obvious where this will go.

Well, CVA can become legitimate through osmosis, end-running hobbyists. Books start showing up stickered, leaving hobbyists only a tough choice.

Venues can sticker their own wares and suggest strongly to any consignors they do likewise. Slowly, hammer fall by hammer fall, CVA is in.

Well, CVA can become legitimate through osmosis, end-running hobbyists. Books start showing up stickered, leaving hobbyists only a tough choice.

Venues can sticker their own wares and suggest strongly to any consignors they do likewise. Slowly, hammer fall by hammer fall, CVA is in.

But it's up the buyers whether they pay extra for the sticker. If they don't, pretty soon venues will stop ponying up the dough, or even wasting the time and effort to send them in for free stickers.

But it's up the buyers whether they pay extra for the sticker. If they don't, pretty soon venues will stop ponying up the dough, or even wasting the time and effort to send them in for free stickers.

But the market won't be able to differentiate the value of the book its self from the sticker. It's a package deal. So if a book is highly desirable anyway, the sticker gets legitimized by default.

Personally I think the only way to counter it is emailing venues and letting them know you refuse to bid because of the sticker. A constant high-volume flood of emails and the table turns. Venues won't be able to tell exactly how much revenue they're loosing due to stickers. Only that they definitely are.

Will GPA start tracking and designating CVA books?

Yes, I suspect they will. (thumbs u

So, from where I sit, if they acutally did what I thought they did--which is to provide the certification for legitimately nice books--this would be one area where I would like to see that information---because in the data GPA DOES collect there are distinct price swings that could POTENTIALLY be understood through the use of the certification.

I guess that could happen, but market forces will force the hand if hobbyists choose not to get the stickers (not enough ROI).

I guess that could happen, but market forces will force the hand if hobbyists choose not to get the stickers (not enough ROI).

I will say it again, if the book I posted in the CLINK auction is an example of the quality of their work, then they suck. That book has a miswrap and is not perfectly centered so how can it be exceptional. To me it looks like they have no clue what they are doing.

Unless it fails to fetch a premium. Paying $20 for a ten cent sticker on your comic is obviously an attempt to get at least $30 more at end of auction. But if the auction ends for the same as it would without the sticker, there would be absolutely no reason for retailers to do this. I don't think people care that there is a microscopic sticker on the slab, they care that they are expected to pay a premium for it.