• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do I still watch comic book men

75 posts in this topic

i've seen them all and enjoyed them all, i do view it with a little less ire than everyone here seems to. Some books are undervalued and they once put Killing Joke as a 1975 book but i try not to let the little things ruin it for me.

I think Kevin Smith is maturing as an artist.

He is going all "meta" on us and the REAL entertainment value of the show is the creation of truckloads of indignation, hatred, and scorn as manifested in legions of comic book geeks and fanboys. (I, personally, am loving watching this show)

That is what he is really going for.

Kind of like how Primus proclaims that they "suck"

The show is secretly designed to get all of yer under-roos in a twizzle and also to convert many regular peeps into comic fans whom Kevin Smith can then covertly manipulate.

I tell ya the Price of Darkness better get his headhunters out for this guy!

I watched it finally last night, I wouldn't say its horrible.

For those that have been there, is it always dead as it seems since it seems that all they do is sit around BSing. Doesnt look like the store is that big.

I pretty much lost interest in the show in one of the first episodes when one of the guys appraised that Detective 35 at like $500. What a joke. A show presumably about comic books and "comic book men", and they show complete ignorance right off the bat. doh!

I hate to person_without_enough_empathy, but man this show is terrible...and I had high hopes. So last night, I started to watch episode 'Junk' from Season 1 and stopped after ten minutes and here is why:

About five minutes into it, some guy who works at a local toy shop just happens to walk in to Secret Stash comic shop (owned by Kevin Smith and partners) with a Detective 35 CGC 1.5 in hand...pretty rare stuff if you ask me. He also presented an X-Men CGC 2.0 sig series, but the Tec 35 becomes the focus. He recently acquired these books, not it is not clear how. Granted, I'm no fool and am aware that it is completely staged for the show, but this is how the dialogue between Walt of Secret Stash and the visitor went:

visitor: I just bought some stuff that I thought would be key... [shows the Tec 35 CGC slabbed 1.5]

Walt starts mouthing off interesting trivia about the book - hypodermic needle, historical backdrop, pre-code.

visitor: I was wondering if you could give me some kind of value or what we're talking about here.

walt: in the condition that it is, $300, but I don't think I couldn't make a profit on it, just seems like...

visitor: it's the condition that hurts it so much...

Walt: yeah.

THEN...the visitor takes out a batman/robin sketch drawn by Bob Kane in the 70s.

And everyone's jaw drops. Walt calls it "priceless" and his partner says it's "rare."

DUDE.

I was taken aback by that whole exchange. First off, why the spit is this visitor acting all dumb about the Tec book...it's CGC'ed?! He bought a slabbed book and doesn't know what he has? C'mon. Second, I'm not sure when this was recorded, but even if it was five years ago, we all know that a Tec 35 in 1.5 grade goes for way more than $300...try > $3,500!! So are they truly ignorant about it's worth or did they willfully misrepresent? And "can't make a profit"??!! Not willing to but it because "it's in poor condition"?! This is a Tec 35 we're talking about here...not Spidey 35.

Then they start to drool over a sketch that may or may not be drawn by Bob Kane and is considered priceless. WTF?! Priceless? Really?

So in my opinion, the show's credibility went down the drain with all that nonsense. This guy Walt is a schmuck. Am I being harsh?

You hit the nail right on the head. The shop shenanigans are less than entertaining and far from educational in any sense.

I actually enjoy the roundtable sessions. I think all of the guys are entertaining when talking about comics and related stuff. Kevin Smith keeps them moving and draws them out really well. The shop stuff, the buying and selling...they really make me want to go shopping up there. They clearly don't know what they are doing and I can certainly take advantage of that!

lol

Walt just told that dude ASM #129 was hard to get in high grade...there are 580 universal graded copy's 9.4 or higher on the census :screwy:

The customer paid more for a raw 7.5.than he would have a graded one. doh!

Walt just told that dude ASM #129 was hard to get in high grade...there are 580 universal graded copy's 9.4 or higher on the census :screwy:

The customer paid more for a raw 7.5.than he would have a graded one. doh!

doh!