• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It seemed like a good price???

25 posts in this topic

Have you ever just purchased a comic on a whim? Not a comic that you need or ever particularily wanted for you collection, but the price seemed reasonable so you pulled the trigger??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, that's what happened as I was surfing Ebay the other night devil.gif I have a raw copy of this book and although it's not a key issue, I thought any Silver Age 9.4 is worth a look. I won it for my max bid, but I thought it would go higher.

Captain Marvel #2

So did I get a good deal on this book or is this about the going rate??? confused-smiley-013.gif

You paid the going rate.

Copy sold in June for $59 and March for $69. I remember starting a post last year because one sold on eBay for $37 (which was well below guide).

It's a nice book, but in general if you are going to buy a book on a whim, because you believe the price to below market value, then you should do some research (i.e. GPAnalysis).

Also census info:

9.4's 37

9.6's 31

9.8's 12 (that's alot)

Hmmm if the Colan/Palmer Captain Marvels are so cheap and plentiful in HG slabbed, I might start looking for them - some of my favorite late Silver Marvel covers.

You paid the going rate.

Copy sold in June for $59 and March for $69. I remember starting a post last year because one sold on eBay for $37 (which was well below guide).

It's a nice book, but in general if you are going to buy a book on a whim, because you believe the price to below market value, then you should do some research (i.e. GPAnalysis).

Also census info:

9.4's 37

9.6's 31

9.8's 12 (that's alot)

Already looked at the census and I wasn't looking for a flip. I just thought it seemed like a good price....which I feel it was. As you clearly point out....they are all selling for good prices. thumbsup2.gif

Now if I could just pick up a CGC 9.4 #1 for the same price cloud9.gif

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago on a HULK 250 9.6. Black book with a Silver Surfer cover. I put a bid in and won for $48.88??? Not sure why I bid on that one, but I liked the cover at the time....???

ih250.jpg

Nice pull on that captain marvel. The reason you got it so cheap (and don't let anyone tell you that is WAS'NT a great deal!) was 2-fold. First, the bidder you beat out with the second highest bid was me, and I already have a sweet 9.4, so I was not hot to upgrade when I still have holes to fill. Second, Reliant had listed some incredible one-of-a-kind 9.8's from the series as well, and I as well as others had to pool our resources and focus on just one or two of the issues in an attempt to snag them as the bidding went through the ceiling (#17 went for a whopping $730.00!).

9.6-9.8 Captain Marvels are moving VERY nicely for well over typical guide expectations. I would look for a tremendous jump in guide prices in the near future. Even Nostromania is way off mark, and they usually can predict quite nicely.

I almost upped my bid on that one, but let it go at the last second because I didn't want to short myself for the 9.8's. Pity, because I got priced right out of them all anyway.

Expect that book to guide for over the $100.00 plateau next time around. That's what I was considering bumping it to. Census may be high, but people tend to save, collect, and submit lower-numbered non-key issues for no other reason thatn that they ARE low numbered. Check the census for issues after 5 and see what happens...lol!

But for you, that day, it was a perfect storm and chain of events that snagged you an issue that should have gone for much more, regarless of what the previous sales indicate.

-Rival

Expect that book to guide for over the $100.00 plateau next time around. That's what I was considering bumping it to. Census may be high, but people tend to save, collect, and submit lower-numbered non-key issues for no other reason thatn that they ARE low numbered. Check the census for issues after 5 and see what happens...lol!

Have to disagree.

You said why, high census number.

As time goes on, unless you are a true collector of the series, buyers will stop buying books unless the census number is low. With 37 9.4's - 31 9.6's and 12 9.8's in the census, that tells you that there are lot of copies of this book still to be graded.

This does not only apply only to this book, but will start applying to all books given time.

Have you ever just purchased a comic on a whim? Not a comic that you need or ever particularily wanted for you collection, but the price seemed reasonable so you pulled the trigger??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, that's what happened as I was surfing Ebay the other night devil.gif I have a raw copy of this book and although it's not a key issue, I thought any Silver Age 9.4 is worth a look. I won it for my max bid, but I thought it would go higher.

Captain Marvel #2

So did I get a good deal on this book or is this about the going rate??? confused-smiley-013.gif

The scan is gone now but, if you purchased this one on a whim, good for you! The black cover makes it hard to find in high grade. There's also a Hawk & Dove with a black cover,...if I get a chance to buy that one on a whim. I'm gonna! thumbsup2.gif Black covers or black-borderd covers are usually a good choice.