• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternative routes to selling comics

40 posts in this topic

I'd go with a consignment to MCS over selling on ebay all day every day.

Any book you consign to MCS gets listed at ebay( at their cost, not yours) and they do all the work. You mail one package to them and they scan, list, sell, ship and then cut you a check.All for a 10% commision. No ebay fees, no paypal fees, no shipping, no nothing. I have 65 recent consignments. Only no book lasted more than six months. Most sold the first thirty days and the vast majority of auction books sold for more than I expected them to.

MCS's buying prices tend to be fairly low, but they occasionally surprise me.

Anything over thirty dollars or so, I'd go the auction/consignment route.

Any book you consign to MCS gets listed at ebay( at their cost, not yours) and they do all the work. You mail one package to them and they scan, list, sell, ship and then cut you a check.All for a 10% commision. No ebay fees, no paypal fees, no shipping, no nothing. I have 65 recent consignments. Only no book lasted more than six months. Most sold the first thirty days and the vast majority of auction books sold for more than I expected them to.

They only charge 10% regardless of which of there methods sells it (ebay vs. there site?)?

eBay and PayPal fees alone are going to be more than 10% if you sell it on eBay yourself.

Do they have a potential sale price minimum? For example, they'll only accept books they expect can sell for $20 or more?

They only charge 10% regardless of which of there methods sells it (ebay vs. there site?)?

eBay and PayPal fees alone are going to be more than 10% if you sell it on eBay yourself.

Do they have a potential sale price minimum? For example, they'll only accept books they expect can sell for $20 or more?

Their max consignment fee is 10%, regardless of how it sells.. It can be less if the book hits a certain dollar threshold. Their consignment fees have ben fluid so you'd have to look at the site to ge the exact breakdown.

On their website, they have a section called"'sell my comics". You enter the comic and it gives you their buying price, and what grade is acceptable for consignment. Obviously, not every book is eligible for consignment, but its very easy to find out if your book fits their criteria.

I'm no expert but I've seen the lots you've put up for sale' and here's what I'd suggest.

1. Combine your threads, one continuous thread for "SA marvel lots" will give buyers a better comfort level with you - when you post a new lot discount your previous ones in the same thread if you wish that haven't sold - you'll take up less real estate in the selling forums.

2. If a lot doesn't sell, break it down and then do a clearance thread for $5 ea or $3 ea - people like old SA books in mid-grade but may not want 20 of them to fill a couple holes in a run.

3. You are new, some people will not buy from you - I would suggest you post somewhere other than the PGM and sales threads -if you are just here to sell that is fine with me but some people prefer to only buy from people they know or at least feel they know.

2c

Of course, you are true

Their max consignment fee is 10%, regardless of how it sells.. It can be less if the book hits a certain dollar threshold. Their consignment fees have ben fluid so you'd have to look at the site to ge the exact breakdown.

On their website, they have a section called"'sell my comics". You enter the comic and it gives you their buying price, and what grade is acceptable for consignment. Obviously, not every book is eligible for consignment, but its very easy to find out if your book fits their criteria.

In some cases it can be more. The minimum fee is $5 up to $50 sale price. So below $50 it is always more than 10%. $50-300 is 10% and it goes down from there.

Generally, books eligible for consignment are only those worth $50 or more in the submitted grade. After they do their grading, they may refuse to accept the book on consignment if the potential value isn't high enough. In those cases, they offer to buy the book from you outright or send it back.

After you price it, they uplift the price on ebay to account for ebay fees. So a lesson learned is that you can get a slightly better price on any book they have on ebay by going directly to their site rather than through ebay.

I'm no expert but I've seen the lots you've put up for sale' and here's what I'd suggest.

1. Combine your threads, one continuous thread for "SA marvel lots" will give buyers a better comfort level with you - when you post a new lot discount your previous ones in the same thread if you wish that haven't sold - you'll take up less real estate in the selling forums.

2. If a lot doesn't sell, break it down and then do a clearance thread for $5 ea or $3 ea - people like old SA books in mid-grade but may not want 20 of them to fill a couple holes in a run.

3. You are new, some people will not buy from you - I would suggest you post somewhere other than the PGM and sales threads -if you are just here to sell that is fine with me but some people prefer to only buy from people they know or at least feel they know.

2c

Of course, you are true

Welcome to the Boards.

2c

Of course, you are true

Welcome to the Boards.

Interesting first post. hm

Just pose nude with your comics, take pictures of it, and post them on eBay. Make sure you spam the hell out of your title with key issues that are not actually in the auction and you are set.

lol

That works great as long as you're a female comic collector guy who has an attractive girlfriend that will pose topless with your comics.

Just pose nude with your comics, take pictures of it, and post them on eBay. Make sure you spam the hell out of your title with key issues that are not actually in the auction and you are set.

lol

That works great as long as you're a female comic collector guy who has an attractive girlfriend that will pose topless with your comics.

Or sister. Nothing's off the table at this point.

lol ^

So, considering the lack of views I get on ebay, I don't have much of a choice as far as the comics I have go, than to do the MCS route. The around 150 Daredevils I submitted to them with my price was rejected because the lot was too small. Guess I will put in more comics from stale lots here to up the comic number and then see what they say.

Ebay is useless for what I have. 4 views total in 2.5 days. Nobody even knows it exists really.

lol ^

So, considering the lack of views I get on ebay, I don't have much of a choice as far as the comics I have go, than to do the MCS route. The around 150 Daredevils I submitted to them with my price was rejected because the lot was too small. Guess I will put in more comics from stale lots here to up the comic number and then see what they say.

Ebay is useless for what I have. 4 views total in 2.5 days. Nobody even knows it exists really.

Do you have the lot set at a price that if it only gets one bid you will be happy? Because it may sell. I looked at your lots here and there is some good stuff. Just be patient.

I wouldn't give much weight to the total views and watchers anymore. I think the ebay code is just broken half the time. When I look at my items in the summary page it states 0.00 for shipping most of the time now.

I have them at a buy it now or best offer.

I figured if I did it auction style and say started it at the lowest I accepted than it would sell for that much. Doing a buy it now at a higher price like what I had here, maybe I get a buyer, or maybe I get an offer that is more reasonable than my lowest number I would sell it for. Maybe thats not the best idea, but I have the feeling if I set my starting price in an auction at the very lowest I would accept I would get that number and no higher everytime. At least in the case of the lots I have here now if they were moved there. Exception to the early ASM one

As for the view count, they did it pretty well when I had those slabs put up. This is still at 4 views.

I kinda believe it considering I mean if nobody cares here on a comic forum, not many people would search for a random lot.

In my experience with Buy it Nows, bidders tend to assume that the listing will be there forever if and when they decide make the purchase. With bidding, especially in auctions that start at like $1, it seems to spur people to action and, if you are lucky, a bidding war will drive the price up to something surprisingly good. There have been plenty of times when I've shut down a Buy it Now, relisted the item as a $1 true auction and watched it get bid past my original BiN price. Of course, there have plenty of times when my auctions have flickered out and ended wayyy lower than what I wanted.

The volatility with prices on ebay are why I will never sell anything starting at a $1 bid again.

I have seen WAYYY too many comics go for all kinds of prices that way. Seen a good majority stay in a certain reasonable range, but someone random there is always one sold way lower than the others.

I made the mistake of listing ASM 122 raw on ebay using that as a comic to help build my rep on ebay instead of listing here. Mine sold for almost 50% less than a worse quality copy sold a couple days or so prior to my listing ending. I don't know if it was because my feedback number isn't even 100 yet, but it doesn't matter to me. The fact is it sold for way less and I had to deal with fees. I don't sell enough on ebay to run that risk again. 1 time is all I needed. At least if I get less than what I wanted with a BIN with a best offer I at least chose to accept that.

At least in my case if it doesn't sell at a BIN or best offer than it likely wouldn't sell for shlt if I put it as an auction listing. If someone sees a BIN price and doesn't even put in an offer, I doubt that same person would have been all over it bidding decent numbers if it was an auction. People seem to be wary of reserves too so even that route is out. Not to mention if something gets bids, but doesn't hit reserve then instead of pis$ing away 50 cents for a listing I pis$ away $2.50

Not to mention, unless I am selling a single key issue, my biggest problem is lack of people who even see the listing. It can have the greatest deal in the world, but if in 4 days only 4 people have even viewed it, everything else is irrelevant.

Just set the auction price at the lowest price you'd be happy with. The listing is free, you could get lucky if a bidding war does take place, and you do not risk selling it for less than you want.

The key is being patient with your listings. I've re-listed comic books multiple times and some end up going for twice the starting price that wouldn't sell for weeks. If you have to sell your comic books immediately, then you'll just have to be content with selling them at a lower price. For all the problems with eBay, I'll never complain about the free listings and the traffic volume. Even if something only gets a couple views a day, you have to remember you just need one buyer to make a sale.

I have them at a buy it now or best offer.

I figured if I did it auction style and say started it at the lowest I accepted than it would sell for that much. Doing a buy it now at a higher price like what I had here, maybe I get a buyer, or maybe I get an offer that is more reasonable than my lowest number I would sell it for. Maybe thats not the best idea, but I have the feeling if I set my starting price in an auction at the very lowest I would accept I would get that number and no higher everytime. At least in the case of the lots I have here now if they were moved there. Exception to the early ASM one

As for the view count, they did it pretty well when I had those slabs put up. This is still at 4 views.

I kinda believe it considering I mean if nobody cares here on a comic forum, not many people would search for a random lot.

One tactic I've used in the past is to leverage MCS in eBay. Set an auction with a starting bid at what MCS offers and then if it doesn't sell ship it off to them.

That sounds like a good idea.

I would just need to have a list of a least a few hundred ready to send my info to MCS with so I am not turned down again because of not having enough comics.

I'd be a bit nervous having a lot so big of random smaller lots of comics on ebay, but like you said, if it doesn't sell I send to MCS.

The only diff I would make is to add money to the starting ebay price to make up for the 11% for fees.

If MCS offers you say 300 for a certain lot and you list it on ebay at 300, if you only get the 1 bid there and it ends like that on ebay then you will have to deal with ebay 8% and paypal 3%. You would have to make ebay price starting a bit higher to make up for the fees in case it would sell for the starting bid price.