• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst thing than having no LCS is a LCS that sucks in GA and SA.

12 posts in this topic

A few months back, i mentioned how in Montreal,there are no LCS who carry

GA and SA.I believe there is one in Laval which is pretty far for someone with no car.

I had found one,called them up and asked general questions about old issues.

Anyways they had told me they'd just received 50 boxes of GA and SA but had to give them time to find prices put em up in the store,etc,etc.

I gave them more months than they told me.Just to be sure.

I call about 3 weeks ago.Sure theres a bunch of them up in the store.

Awesome,im thinking i better go soon because if some guy named Deep pockets walks in.there will be nothing left for little moi.

I walk in.

Hi !

(checks the store,looks around,no GA-SA section.Scratches head.)

Where are your GA and SA comics ?

Oh,we put em with the rest in the longboxes under the character's names.

I'm thinking this doesnt bode very well.

I pick one.ASM.

flipflipflipflip frucken flippityflip.

After 15 minutes of peeking through Xmen,Hulk,you know typical search.

The only ones i find are number one copies of Nada,Niet and Zilch (and not the variants one either. )

Hey buddy,ive been looking and cant find anything.

He comes over,mumbling like Oscar the grouch and starts showing me what he thinks is SA.

Comics from the 80's and 90's.

:facepalm:

On the website they have one ASM 122 at 9.4 (900 smackaroos.)

Montreal is a real no man's land for GA and SA.

Guess i'll have to make that trip to Laval.I better call first and ask him to name me some older issues he's got.

:P

I don't think my LCS has one book in it that is older than the college kids I teach, but having it is still better than no LCS. The next store for me would be 2 hours north. To steal from Wally's custom title, there are kids in (insert random underdeveloped country here) that would be happy to have your LCS.

I don't think my LCS has one book in it that is older than the college kids I teach, but having it is still better than no LCS. The next store for me would be 2 hours north. To steal from Wally's custom title, there are kids in (insert random underdeveloped country here south Alabama) that would be happy to have your LCS.

FIFY

Check Swing on the South Shore (Brossard) has some SA and GA. They don't keep them out in the open though and the stock isn't huge, but it is there. They have 0 CGC graded books, but the person who handles the grading (looks like the Comic Guy from the simpsons) grades fairly well. Any raw book I picked out that said M has come back 9.8 except my Avengers Annual 10 which came back a 9.6 (which I disagreed with, thought it was 9.9 material). They have some good keys books and you can always ask they keep an eye out for a particular book, theyhad an IM 55 up for sale a few weeks ago and got nabbed before I could make it down.

For the record though, I really dislike the owner but the employees are fairly nice to talk to.

If you don't have a car, take the metro to Bonaventure and hop onto the 45 bus, takes you to Panama Station, Check Swing is right there behind the Skratch pool hall.

Not many LCSs around my area carry a lot of vintage stuff either. Once a while, a key will show up, but generally not a high grade specimen. I know most of the time when I think back 30 years ago, its through rose colored glasses. Not sure if it was really that much better when I was still collecting in the late '70s and early '80s. It's easy to say that I would have bought a 100 copies of Hulk 181 back in 1980 when I had the chance, but the truth of the matter is, I couldn't find that many and forget about any keys from the '60s and earlier. It might have been a little bit better as the only alternative to the LCS was mail order and the occasional convention, but the internet has really killed this part of the business.

My LCS has started to move toward more SA stuff, they just got and (auctioned off most of) a nice SA collection with full runs of ASM, Avengers, FF etc.

It's nice to have in the store and most stuff is pretty decent grade, but they do price...well, accordingly. Not much in terms of deals that I've seen, but the owner has said he's going to be pursuing more SA collections aggresively. :wishluck: