• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

I'm going to get flack for this but I've never liked Dave McKean's art...especially on Arkham Assylum

batman-arkham-asylum-pg018.jpgtumblr_ma5kmj3Qiv1rsr1pzo1_1280.jpg

Dave Mckean ruined Miracle Man with his covers.

He also dissapeared up his own poop-shoot.

How about Walt Simonson on Avengers recently??

Isn't that one of Marvels biggest titles? And it looks like this...????

Seriously.. In the middle panel, look at the Protectors eyes, and War Machines squashed head and Thors face in the panel below that.. wtf??

prv12380_pg3.jpg

Frank Robbins art was so bad that I LOVED it. I don't know, it holds a special place in my childhood.

The worst or the worst was 1970s Jack Kirby. Although the stories were "readable" I had to ignore the atrocious art. 1970s Jack Kirby made Frank Robinson look like Rembrandt.

Most of Walt's appeal to me is that it looks like a comic book. Combine that with his creative writing and you have a win-win IMHO.

The painted, stylistic is good for a cover or a pin-up but during the story, Walt's work shines to me and looks as good today as it did in the 80's.

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

I want to see that artwork.

Humberto Ramos.

Thread closed, none are worse.

haha! I was scrolling this thread reading the replies one by one and was thinking to myself, "as if no one has mentioned Humberto Ramos yet!!!?!?!"

Saw yours was the last reply and I agree. Great place to end the thread. I can not stand his stuff and I'm a guy who can generally appreciate 99% of the work out there.

I love painted comics! Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists. Elektra Assasin and Moby were awesome. I loved the switch to an original style. As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out....

That being said, I can see why some don't like him. I just happened to be exposed to his art when I was young and impressionable. If I had grown up with Ditko and Colan, I might feel otherwise.

I also have to give a shout out to David Mack. His painted work for DD vol 2 was simply awesome.

I also enjoy Maleev's work, especially when paired with Bendis's moody dialogue. My only critique of him is the obvious photographic tracing he employs from time-to-time for certain panels - made worse by replicating the same traced-panel 8 times only zooming in a bit each time. That's just lazy.

In the same vein, I also like exaggerated styles as well. McFarlane, Larsen, and Campbell come to mind. Never did like Liefeld or Bagely though, I guess I just prefer a certain type of exaggeration.

Humberto Ramos.

Thread closed, none are worse.

Yeah, he's bad. I think he has finally given up the spider man flippers

and hot dog fingers which is a move in the right direction.

I would like to add Eric Canete as well. What a turd!

131280.jpg

:P

Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists...As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out

???

I love painted comics! Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists. Elektra Assasin and Moby were awesome. I loved the switch to an original style. As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out....

The father of the graphic novel? Will Eisner and Gil Kane are laughing in their graves...