• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

Crossgen started up during that time as well. Some very good titles in that line. My favorite by far was Negation. If that line ever experiences a revival....

I loved the whole line of Crossgen, with the exceptions of probably only Mystic and Scion. Meridian, Ruse, Route 666, and Negation were my faves. :cloud9:

Yup, Route 666 got me going back to the LCS every month again. (thumbs u

The Rule of 25 holds that the "hot" collectible in any given year is what was "hot" amongst 11-16 year old boys 25 years previously. People can argue it until the cows come home, but it has always held. You can buy comics from the 1997-2000 period for literally pennies now - hold them for ten years, and you'll be just fine.

Mr. Donut - Any specific titles or even issues to check out?

Mr. Donut - Perhaps you could buy them for me and have them dropshipped to me?

Could you please enlighten me as to why asking for clarification is incorrect? This is a speculation thread where people post what comics they think will go up in value. If he/she doesn't want to elaborate, fine, but I don't think asking is wrong.

This whole thread probably could have started and ended with a single post - "Comics from 1992 - current should go up."; I thought this was a place for people to learn about comics and collecting them.

It was a joke. Stop being a crybaby, MANNUP, and speculate on some modern comics.

Another intelligent response. Again, I can't live up to your high standards - could you please tell me what I should MANNUP about?

I asked a question that many other people wanted an answer to, you swoop in and mock my question, and I questioned why would you waste your - and everyone else's - time doing that. For someone that complains about other people posting worthlessly on threads, maybe you should take your own advice.

The Rule of 25 holds that the "hot" collectible in any given year is what was "hot" amongst 11-16 year old boys 25 years previously. People can argue it until the cows come home, but it has always held. You can buy comics from the 1997-2000 period for literally pennies now - hold them for ten years, and you'll be just fine.

Could you please enlighten me as to why asking for clarification is incorrect? This is a speculation thread where people post what comics they think will go up in value. If he/she doesn't want to elaborate, fine, but I don't think asking is wrong.

This whole thread probably could have started and ended with a single post - "Comics from 1992 - current should go up."; I thought this was a place for people to learn about comics and collecting them.

It was a joke. Stop being a crybaby,

MANNUP, and speculate on some modern comics.

Another intelligent response. Again, I can't live up to your high standards - could you please tell me what I should MANNUP about?

I asked a question that many other people wanted an answer to, you swoop in and mock my question, and I questioned why would you waste your - and everyone else's - time doing that. For someone that complains about other people posting worthlessly on threads, maybe you should take your own advice.

:baiting:

It was a joke. Stop being a crybaby, MANNUP, and speculate on some modern comics.

I'm feeling a bit wordy tonight, so Ill answer your question.

There are many long time collectors and dealers on this board who have been at it for years. Most of their teen to adult life. They have speculated on back issues daily, weekly for years and years and years. They have through trial and error and the SLOW accumulation of scuttlebutt, news stories, work, sales, mistakes, long boxes of NM Turok #1's, market crashes, and such; managed to come up with a SMALL window of possibility that STILL only sometimes works.

And then, due to the instantaneous information of the Internet age, find themselves competing with every brand new collector trying to 'cash in' on the trickle of profit to be made from buying and selling inexpensive copies of 'hot' books to flip for profit.

On top of that, there's nothing more embarrassing than proclaiming on a public forum, "Hey, that first appearance of Speedball might be a hot book because of Civil War" and then have people come back and mock it and say you said it was a LOCK, when in actuality, that's NOT what they said.

Keep in mind, that for dealers and people who can't help but buy everything in sight if its cheap enough, having 100 copies of ASM Annual #22 (or whatever it is), from parts of bought collections that were long ago paid for and profited from, a spike in interest from those books becomes pure profit. Anybody else jumping on that gravy train late, might take sales away from selling that previous dead stock that might have to sit there after the spike until god knows how long or in hopes that some goofy Marvel writer will have Speedball one day discover the Infinity Gaunlet or some such nonsense and reignite the flame.

No one's going to hold your hand through the process. Listen and learn. Think. Use critical reasoning skills. After all of that you'll still make your mistakes, because every one does. Even the best.

But don't expect to come on to the most knowledgable comic forum in existence and have somebody say, "The secret word is 'Rosebud'", and a magical list will appear and it'll all be cake. It doesn't work that way.

Having said that, enjoy the experience here for what is: a wealth of knowledge and passive aggressive snottiness. I'm amazed at the amount of info thrown out there as it is. It's a very helpful process if you understand how it works.

And on that note ... it looks like the Snyder Detective run has already doubled in price since we began discussing it a few days ago. And this auction isn't even over. If I'm right about 871 (2nd print) too then I'll really pat myself on the back lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261118595290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Edited by Nico Esq

My pick for speculation? ANY mainstream Marvel title published between 1997 and 2001. Very low (~25K for SPIDER-MAN!) print runs, and you can buy them for literally pennies. Stick them away. The Rule of 25 always holds.

Excuse my ignornance, Dan, but how many years do we have to hold these for? Rule of 25; what's that?

Rule of 25 is that things become "popular" approx every 25 years.

I think it's more that people become nostalgic for things they had in their childhood. It obviously doesn't work for everything though and there's a "rule of 25" and a "rule of 30"

mintcollector should be here any minute now lol

It certainly has worked for this hobby for a long time.

Of course these comics were not hot collectibles for 11 to 16 yo bys when published, hence the low print runs. Probably the first minigeneration of these boys not to. Read comics in fact. Of course, many of these comics arealready pretty collectible. The "for pennies" part of the equation can require a lot of work.

There are many long time collectors and dealers on this board who have been at it for years. Most of their teen to adult life. They have speculated on back issues daily, weekly for years and years and years. They have through trial and error and the SLOW accumulation of scuttlebutt, news stories, work, sales, mistakes, long boxes of NM Turok #1's, market crashes, and such; managed to come up with a SMALL window of possibility that STILL only sometimes works.

And then, due to the instantaneous information of the Internet age, find themselves competing with every brand new collector trying to 'cash in' on the trickle of profit to be made from buying and selling inexpensive copies of 'hot' books to flip for profit.

On top of that, there's nothing more embarrassing than proclaiming on a public forum, "Hey, that first appearance of Speedball might be a hot book because of Civil War" and then have people come back and mock it and say you said it was a LOCK, when in actuality, that's NOT what they said.

Keep in mind, that for dealers and people who can't help but buy everything in sight if its cheap enough, having 100 copies of ASM Annual #22 (or whatever it is), from parts of bought collections that were long ago paid for and profited from, a spike in interest from those books becomes pure profit. Anybody else jumping on that gravy train late, might take sales away from selling that previous dead stock that might have to sit there after the spike until god knows how long or in hopes that some goofy Marvel writer will have Speedball one day discover the Infinity Gaunlet or some such nonsense and reignite the flame.

No one's going to hold your hand through the process. Listen and learn. Think. Use critical reasoning skills. After all of that you'll still make your mistakes, because every one does. Even the best.

But don't expect to come on to the most knowledgable comic forum in existence and have somebody say, "The secret word is 'Rosebud'", and a magical list will appear and it'll all be cake. It doesn't work that way.

Having said that, enjoy the experience here for what is: a wealth of knowledge and passive aggressive snottiness. I'm amazed at the amount of info thrown out there as it is. It's a very helpful process if you understand how it works.

:golfclap:

Chuck's observations are far too rational for the knee jerk reactions generally embraced on the Boards, but it's a breath of fresh air when he shares. :)

On a separate note, I'd like to make a firm prediction that those of you who are buying a dozen copies of every printing of Saga, Revival, etc. are wasting your money. I have no idea what compels you to do this but for the sake of your wallet, I'd like to encourage you to stop.

I'd also like to predict that Ultimate Fallout No. 4 Variant CGC 9.8s are going to appreciate in value. I have no idea what the heck is going to happen in Amazing Spiderman 700, but I have a good feeling that a lot of people who have had reservations about reading Ultimate Spiderman are going to pick up the book and enjoy it. It got off to a slow start but Bendis writing on Ult. Spiderman is a lot of fun.

Chuck -

I am in no way asking anyone to hold my hand. Many members have posted their predictions here - as this is a speculation thread - and were very specific and open as to their thoughts. I asked for more information on someone offering up speculation on 5 years' worth of comics; if he/she didn't want to elaborate, fine.

Again, where is the harm in this? I was not antagonistic or threatening, just asking a question a lot of other people had yet were not ridiculed for.

My pick for speculation? ANY mainstream Marvel title published between 1997 and 2001. Very low (~25K for SPIDER-MAN!) print runs, and you can buy them for literally pennies. Stick them away. The Rule of 25 always holds.

Excuse my ignornance, Dan, but how many years do we have to hold these for? Rule of 25; what's that?

Rule of 25 is that things become "popular" approx every 25 years.

I think it's more that people become nostalgic for things they had in their childhood. It obviously doesn't work for everything though and there's a "rule of 25" and a "rule of 30"

mintcollector should be here any minute now lol

It certainly has worked for this hobby for a long time.

Of course these comics were not hot collectibles for 11 to 16 yo bys when published, hence the low print runs. Probably the first minigeneration of these boys not to. Read comics in fact. Of course, many of these comics arealready pretty collectible. The "for pennies" part of the equation can require a lot of work.

True, but you can dig for them - I've bought many "collections" from this time period where they came out of storage lockers, Craigslist, etc. etc. You should absolutely not be paying a lot for these books, a dime each is probably too much. They're out there. (thumbs u

Manneteska- Y U No Stop Being Crybaby?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Here is a flower. :foryou:

I wish you well in your future endeavors and hope that Mr. Donut hooks you up.

--Sean.

Chuck -

I am in no way asking anyone to hold my hand. Many members have posted their predictions here - as this is a speculation thread - and were very specific and open as to their thoughts. I asked for more information on someone offering up speculation on 5 years' worth of comics; if he/she didn't want to elaborate, fine.

Again, where is the harm in this? I was not antagonistic or threatening, just asking a question a lot of other people had yet were not ridiculed for.

But in a sense you are.

First off, let me say, I know what I said may've sounded harsh. I'm not trying to run you or anyone else off. I appreciate anyone that want's to come here and learn.

Now, HE said:

And YOU said:

Now HE could've snarkly said, "Yes, the "hot" collectible in any given year", OR you could've A) waited until everyone started listing them off based upon my sneaky way of getting people to keep me from having to do MY homework (ME; "Was anything popular from from 1997-2001? I'm not entirely joking.) or B) Done some work yourself.

NOW, by DOING some work yourself, you are actually contributing to the discussion. By contributing to the discussion, you look like a part of the community that wants to share information and have fun talking about this stuff and not somebody who just wants to swoop in and have all the answers given to them so that they can justify their collecting by selling stuff on eBay.

Just curious does anyone know why this Spawn auction is this high already?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121005842175?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I know some the issues are like 10-15 bucks, but..... (shrug)

Just curious does anyone know why this Spawn auction is this high already?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121005842175?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I know some the issues are like 10-15 bucks, but..... (shrug)

One of the bidders has 29 total bids in the last 30 days and 12 of them are on that item.

I know, but there isn't anything special about those issues that makes sense for a couple bidders to make it over $200 no?

Here's some late 90's love for ya'all :foryou: (some started earlier):

- Sandman

- Preacher

- Hellblazer

- Astro City

- Transmetropolitan

- Marvels

- Bone

- Ellis StormWatch/The Authority

- Madman

- Flex Mentallo

- Johnny the Homicidal Maniac