• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis (accidentally) discloses they press comics on their website

139 posts in this topic

What are people's thoughts about dealers who refuse to sell to certain collectors because of their stated views in regards to pressing?

I thought you wouldn't sell to me because I'm short and a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

You mixed him up with me. Do all tall people look the same to you?

It's hard to get a good field of vision from this low. Fortunately, you still sport a jean jacket most of the time, so I can make do.

You know I love you. In fact, I may have to custom make a jacket just for you, the next time I see you.

hm

Yep, a lot of people are far more educated in just how much money can be made from pressing.

Or... A lot of people are far more educated on the processes involved with pressing and understand that it isn't restoration.

:foryou:

It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. :insane::shy:

What are people's thoughts about dealers who refuse to sell to certain collectors because of their stated views in regards to pressing?

I thought you wouldn't sell to me because I'm short and a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

No. I wouldn't sell to you because I don't carry any of that .

But why couldn't I buy the breath mints?

Maybe because you made Richard nervous since your at his crotch level? (shrug)

If the International Union for Conservation of Nature can be wrong, I suppose Overstreet can be, too.

Scientists believed that electricity went from positive to negative until fairly recently. Then they thought it went from negative to positive. Now they think it might go from positive to negative again.

I think we should refrain from using electricity until they get this thing figured out once and for all!

They are poorer than the dealers who do sell to certain collectors regardless of their stated views in regards to pressing? (shrug)

No. I wouldn't sell to you because I don't carry any of that .

But why couldn't I buy the breath mints?

I said you "should" buy some. I still think that.

You mixed him up with me. Do all tall people look the same to you?

It's hard to get a good field of vision from this low. Fortunately, you still sport a jean jacket most of the time, so I can make do.

You know I love you. In fact, I may have to custom make a jacket just for you, the next time I see you.

hm

So you can be twinkies? Nice hm

They are poorer than the dealers who do sell to certain collectors regardless of their stated views in regards to pressing? (shrug)

??? What I can't figure:

Two types of clientele...

Pressers, who don't want pressed books (so they can benefit from fluffing the grade themselves). And Non-Pressers, who don't want pressed books.

So who wants the pressed ones? hm(shrug)

For the millionth time.....

"But Uncle Donut. How can I know if the comic book I want has been pressed? Aren't dealers supposed to tell me?"

"Yes, yes they are, little one. But why don't you take it upon YOURSELF to ask?"

"ASK the dealer if the book is pressed, Uncle Donut?"

"Yes, yes, little one. You should ASK the dealer."

"What will they say?"

"Well, little one, they can say one of three things. They can say 'Yes, the book is pressed', at which point - since you have said you don't want to buy a pressed book - you can say 'Thanks, but no thanks.' They can also say 'No, the book is not pressed' at which point you can decide to buy it or not buy it."

"Uncle Donut, you said there were three things!" "What's the third thing?"

"Well, little one, the third thing is kind of tricky, and I'm not sure you're ready for it."

"Yes, yes, yes, I am!"

"Well OK, little one. The third thing they could say is 'I don't know.' You're going to have to make your own decision then."

"But Uncle Donut, shouldn't the dealer HAVE to tell me?"

"No, little one, the dealer doesn't HAVE to. The dealer should, we can all agree on that. But the dealer doesn't HAVE to do anything!"

"That doesn't seem fair, Uncle Donut."

"You're right, little one, it isn't fair. Kind of sucks, doesn't it"

"Uncle Donut, you used a bad word lol "

"Sorry, little one. What you can do is be a SMART BUYER. And ASK the dealer. What would you think would be a good answer?"

"Well, NO, would be nice, and I suppose YES would be a good answer - because then I wouldn't buy it. I don't know about I don't know. What should I think then?"

"Well, little one, that's why you have to be an educated buyer! Just ask first!"

:facepalm:

Poor logic. There are more than just 2 types of clientele.

Yes. The logic flaw even has a name. False dichotomy: The "either or" fallacy

However - I think the person posting was making a joke....

??? What I can't figure:

Pressers, who don't want pressed books (so they can benefit from fluffing the grade themselves). And Non-Pressers, who don't want pressed books.

So who wants the pressed ones? hm(shrug)

Someone sell me a pressed Adventure 46, any grade. Or a high grade pressed Action 40. Or a high grade pressed Detective 69.

That's impossible as Davenport doesn't have a sense of humor.

That's impossible as Davenport doesn't have a sense of humor.

Dav and Stu (who I think Lunchbox is) never joke when it comes to their dislike of pressing.

"But Uncle Donut. How can I know if the comic book I want has been pressed? Aren't dealers supposed to tell me?"

"Yes, yes they are, little one. But why don't you take it upon YOURSELF to ask?"

"What will they say?"

"Well, little one, they can say one of three things. They can say 'Yes, the book is pressed', at which point - since you have said you don't want to buy a pressed book - you can say 'Thanks, but no thanks.' They can also say 'No, the book is not pressed' at which point you can decide to buy it or not buy it."

"Well, little one, the third thing is kind of tricky, and I'm not sure you're ready for it."

"Yes, yes, yes, I am!"

"Well OK, little one. The third thing they could say is 'I don't know.' You're going to have to make your own decision then."

"No, little one, the dealer doesn't HAVE to. The dealer should, we can all agree on that. But the dealer doesn't HAVE to do anything!"

"Sorry, little one. What you can do is be a SMART BUYER. And ASK the dealer. What would you think would be a good answer?"

"Well, NO, would be nice, and I suppose YES would be a good answer - because then I wouldn't buy it. I don't know about I don't know. What should I think then?"

"Well, little one, that's why you have to be an educated buyer! Just ask first!"

We could all use an Uncle Donut. He seems very wise...

Except you're leaving out that tiny "alter" phase, between supply & demand.

Every middleman or supplier has an "alter" phase before moving a product from wholesale to the general public. Sometimes it's as simple as changing a label on a product to repackage it. Other times, the actual product is changed. It's still just simple business. You're just putting an emotional spin on it, which doesn't happen in regular business but does in hobby related businesses.

It wasn't that he altered his wares, it's that he included a technique that wasn't sanctioned.

The "technique that wasn't sanctioned" (which happens to be trimming) was not sanctioned by the majority of the hobby. You forgot to mention that.

But leaving that out ruins all of Davs sensationalism :shrug: Where is the fun in a non-sensationalized discussion?

"What will they say?"

"Yes, yes, yes, I am!"

:hail:

You can be assured that he was not joking.