• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis (accidentally) discloses they press comics on their website

139 posts in this topic

Terms used by boardies such as "steam-rollered" and "pan-caked" may have tainted my judgement.

Those terms are simply slang talk and don't accurately describe the process. As has been discussed countless times, telling a properly pressed book from an unpressed one is nearly impossible the majority of the time. That and the fact that books are "steam-rollered" and "pancaked" from the publisher when new has caused me to personally put little weight on whether a book is pressed or not.

And then there is the issue of grading standards. I trust the OLD CGC labels and standards far more than the NEWER ones. Grades getting higher, pages getting whiter, writing "disappearing".

In a nutshell, I no longer know what I am buying with a "NEWER" CGC Slab. And if I do not know what I am buying, I will stop buying.

CGC grades have always had periods of inconsistency and they have had their ups and downs over the last 12 years. This is nothing new. They are graded by people and people are not perfect.

It's still light years better than trusting an anonymous person on eBay to grade and resto check the books for you.

This would have been a killer thread three years ago. :grin:
true dat. For bad or for worse, we've moved on.

Or become more educated.

(thumbs u

That might be true, but that isn't what's being discussed.

We're discussing "moving on" and not making a big deal about it any more.

That happens because there's little left to discuss. It's been rehashed countless times.

We're discussing "moving on" and not making a big deal about it any more.

That happens because there's little left to discuss. It's been rehashed countless times.

True. Once game-play was fully revealed (took forever) the only decision left was to play or not.

New people wandering in should probably get a dry mount press and learn how to use it before buying their first pack of backing boards. Ditto for document cleaning pads.

If deciding to play, probably should play to win. And if you don't become a paper mechanic you'll have to hire one to level the field of play.

Otherwise it would be great if they told us which ones they press so I don't waste money doing it.

:gossip: If the book doesn't have any pressable defects, don't waste your money pressing it.

lol To the questioning boardie, pressing can take away non-colour breaking defects only, plus some surface dirt.

Or you could just buy comics because you like them.

Yep, sure could. Players require game-fodder fans provide. Can't get to the 'cash out' win part without first doing 'acquisition'. Gotta get pieces somewhere.

You're just describing every business model, everywhere.

Supply, demand, supply, demand - ad nauseum.

Otherwise it would be great if they told us which ones they press so I don't waste money doing it.

:gossip: If the book doesn't have any pressable defects, don't waste your money pressing it.

lol To the questioning boardie, pressing can take away non-colour breaking defects only, plus some surface dirt.

pressing doesn't remove any surface dirt (shrug) dry cleaning the cover might, but not pressing (thumbs u

As has been discussed countless times, telling a properly pressed book from an unpressed one is nearly impossible the majority of the time.

I agree when the book is in a CGC holder. I disagree though once you crack the CGC case and hold the book raw.

CGC grades have always had periods of inconsistency and they have had their ups and downs over the last 12 years. This is nothing new. They are graded by people and people are not perfect.

Unfortunately so true

Yep, sure could. Players require game-fodder fans provide. Can't get to the 'cash out' win part without first doing 'acquisition'. Gotta get pieces somewhere.

Except you're leaving out that tiny "alter" phase, between supply & demand.

Don't forget Ewert was the quintessential Gamer. Sat at the big table with the big boys. "Charter Member" and all that.

It wasn't that he altered his wares, it's that he included a technique that wasn't sanctioned.

If he had stayed in the sandbox provided, he's still be celebrated today. Still have a "good eye", still be a "good guy", with drool-worthy wares for all.

Except you're leaving out that tiny "alter" phase, between supply & demand.

Don't forget Ewert was the quintessential Gamer. Sat at the big table with the big boys. "Charter Member" and all that.

It wasn't that he altered his wares, it's that he included a technique that wasn't sanctioned.

If he had stayed in the sandbox provided, he's still be celebrated today. Still have a "good eye", still be a "good guy", with drool-worthy wares for all.

Alas, poor Ewert! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow

of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath

micro-trimmed his comics a thousand times;

and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!

As has been discussed countless times, telling a properly pressed book from an unpressed one is nearly impossible the majority of the time.

I agree when the book is in a CGC holder. I disagree though once you crack the CGC case and hold the book raw.

It's not so difficult to tell if a lower grade book has been pressed. If you have a book with various color breaking creases that is otherwise perfectly smooth and flat, it's likely been pressed. Because most color breaking creases wouldn't be perfectly smooth and flat. They would look like the paper had been folded.

High grade - starting around 8.5 - is another matter. It gets very difficult to tell. By the time you get to 9.4 and better as the book didn't have much in the way of defects to begin with. Unless the pressing is done poorly it is indeed largely undetectable