• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis (accidentally) discloses they press comics on their website

139 posts in this topic

That might be true, but that isn't what's being discussed.

We're discussing "moving on" and not making a big deal about it any more.

That happens because there's little left to discuss. It's been rehashed countless times.

Pretty much every subject has been rehashed countless times, but that doesn't keep 'em from coming back for thirds, fourths and fifths. Well, maybe a fifth of alcohol.

Yes. This thread needed a pressing - slavery analogy!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Public opinion changes as the public becomes more educated. That was my real point, in case anyone missed it.

No offense intended to anyone.

Or, maybe there just as educated as before, but tired of making their point because no one is listening.

Pressing is documented to have been done a decade before CGC ever opened up. Likely even earlier. It was advertized in OSPG ads,

(thumbs u

OVST15gerberTrim.jpg

So, why isn't CGC putting pressed books in purple slabs since pressing is restoration? I'm confused.... :baiting: Someone educate me please.

No emotion here!! – just reading the comments on the board and I guess the message is to play the game, wise up and realise that, to paraphrase Vincent (Tom Cruise) in The Color of Money,

“But the thing is...even if it is just for pressers,

everybody's doing it.

If everybody's

doing it...

There's a lot

of guys doing it.

A lot of guys

doing it...”

Yes. This thread needed a pressing - slavery analogy!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Public opinion changes as the public becomes more educated. That was my real point, in case anyone missed it.

No offense intended to anyone.

More education didn't end slavery. :preach: It was the moral compass part, which brings us back to pressing. :baiting:

Pressing is documented to have been done a decade before CGC ever opened up. Likely even earlier. It was advertized in OSPG ads,

(thumbs u

OVST15gerberTrim.jpg

I remember seeing that ad when the guide came out that year, and throwing up just a little. I blew my mind that anyone would take a knife to a book. Man, was I naive. It makes you wonder how many primo books worked on in that period have gone undetected, especially if the "inner cabal" was utilizing Gerber's services.

Otherwise it would be great if they told us which ones they press so I don't waste money doing it.

:gossip: If the book doesn't have any pressable defects, don't waste your money pressing it.

I feel myself being pulled to the dark side on this subject all too quickly – I have probably thrown in the towel already. I note there is a Grading section on the boards which I have used a few times. If the playing field is to be levelled for dealers and collectors alike should there now be an equivalent “Hey buddy, can you spare a pressable defect” section.

This would have been a killer thread three years ago. :grin:
true dat. For bad or for worse, we've moved on.

Or become more educated.

(thumbs u

Yep, a lot of people are far more educated in just how much money can be made from pressing.

Yep, a lot of people are far more educated in just how much money can be made from pressing.

Or... A lot of people are far more educated on the processes involved with pressing and understand that it isn't restoration.

:foryou:

Or... A lot of people are far more educated on the processes involved with pressing and understand that it isn't restoration.

:foryou:

I thought maybe Garry was taking a poke at me, but really that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

There are a number of reasons people disagree with pressing but ultimately, it's likely not as harmful as it once was thought to be, it's a very benign procedure that affects the book less than anything else I can think of (even storing a book in the summer in a hot car or Fed Ex truck in the summer probably does more damage), it's not a quantitative process (nothing is added or taken away) and it is for the most part not detectable.

And it's something people have been doing for as long as paper has been in existence.

While I understand some may not like it, not everyone falls into that category.

Unfortunately, it's easy to dislike the people when you dislike the process. We've already seen that on here over the years. That shouldn't be the case but it is.

What are people's thoughts about dealers who refuse to sell to certain collectors because of their stated views in regards to pressing?

What are people's thoughts about dealers who refuse to sell to certain collectors because of their stated views in regards to pressing?

I thought you wouldn't sell to me because I'm short and a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

I thought you wouldn't sell to me because I'm short and a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

You mixed him up with me. Do all tall people look the same to you?

(thumbs u

OVST15gerberTrim.jpg

The 1951 Webster's Dictionary definition of spaceship:

An imaginary aircraft of the future for interplanetary travel outside the Earth's atmosphere.

All those astronauts that have been to the moon and back must be gobsmacked as to how they got there and back.

Also, the Black Footed Ferret was declared extinct in 1979. There are now 1,000+/- currently living in the wild.

If the International Union for Conservation of Nature can be wrong, I suppose Overstreet can be, too.

You mixed him up with me. Do all tall people look the same to you?

It's hard to get a good field of vision from this low. Fortunately, you still sport a jean jacket most of the time, so I can make do.

No. I wouldn't sell to you because I don't carry any of that .

No. I wouldn't sell to you because I don't carry any of that .

But why couldn't I buy the breath mints?