• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Sandy

245 posts in this topic

Left Brooklyn behind and staying on Long Island with the family.

I hitchhiked/ escaped out of New Orleans as Katrina was hitting. (I was on vacation at the time) The only way I am leaving the "Buzzetta" compound is through a National Guard recovery effort.

Listening to NPR, it sounds like LI's got it worse than BK, at least for the moment. I'm holed up in my apt on the 5th floor, hoping the floods don't get biblical! The winds are definitely picking up, and there's been a bit of rain so far this morning.

+1, 5th floor in Manhattan, so no books getting wet, but have to find out about work. No trains.

It takes 12 hours (from what I understand) to get the trains up and running again for mass transit. LIRR, MTA North and Subways probably won't be back to a regular schedule until Wednesday. Bloomberg will close the schools until Wednesday since he is at the mercy of the MTA. Sanitation probably won't make their runs until after the debris is removed so I am expecting for garbage pick ups to also resume on late Wednesday or Thursday.

Which sucks... I had complimentary tickets to see the taping of the Jimmy Kimmel show on Wednesday

For anyone that IS in Manhattan right now on the lower East side, according to their facebook page, Katz Delicatessen is still open and is making deliveries.

According to my friend, most of the bars are open in Williamsburg and Greenpoint as usual. The hipsters forgot to turn on the TV and have no idea what is going on.

We're getting slammed right now with heavy rain bands and 40mph wind gusts. Then, a few minutes ago, I was down in the basement and thought I heard a knock at my front door.

In this weather? Nah. And then I heard it again.

By the time I made it upstairs, my mailman was knocking again...and all because he had a Canada Post parcel (from Doug Sulipa) for me, and wanted to make sure it got into my hands and didn't get soaked...which is precisely what happened to him.

He could have walked away, or just left it in the door, but he didn't. And now the book I ordered is sitting high-and-dry in my upstairs office, all thanks to my first-rate letter carrier.

Say what you will about the P.O., but there are still some VERY dedicated employees out there...

We're getting slammed right now with heavy rain bands and 40mph wind gusts. Then, a few minutes ago, I was down in the basement and thought I heard a knock at my front door.

By the time I made it upstairs, my mailman was knocking again...and all because he had a Canada Post parcel (from Doug Sulipa) for me, and wanted to make sure it got into my hands and didn't get soaked...which is precisely what happened to him.

He could have walked away, or just left it in the door, but he didn't. And now the book I ordered is sitting high-and-dry in my upstairs office, all thanks to my first-rate letter carrier.

Say what you will about the P.O., but there are still some VERY dedicated employees out there...

Yea I was just out picking up some Atwaters in Baltimore and was amazed to see the PO going.

this brings up a good point. If you are mailing to or from the east coast, whether it be comics or anything else, you may want to consider waiting a few days if its not urgent, just in case.

:golfclap: Government employees always get a bad rap but most are very dedicated to their job.

:golfclap: Government employees always get a bad rap but most are very dedicated to their job.

Agreed. Our postman is a treasure. People just remember the few bad apples but many are terrific at what they do.

That's worth an extra sawbuck at holiday giving time.

I do not always drink beer during hurricanes. But when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friends.

531004_10151124949342963_1385950692_n.jpg

Thought I would have some fun since the distributor is still open.

Now I am worried about my friends in the area :(

Stay safe !

everyone take care!!

And you YES YOU ..(he knows who he is) you best be messaging me back if you are OK

unless you are busy battening down hatches etc..if so

Why are you reading this thread!! Batten down!!!

Big tree came down caddy corner to my house about ten minutes ago. Its not even very windy yet. Its as if it knew it was a goner soit just gave up. Lost cable for about ten minutes and lights for a brief moment.

I have one very old( 100 year plus) , very large( dwarfs my three story house) I'm a bit concerned about.

Fire alarm has been going off almost constantly since noon, calling in the volunteers.

The end is nigh.

I am working during the storm. Have 4 hours on...which means driving around my town and having to respond to people with problem....fun..and worring about a tree falling on the car we are in...and 4 hours of down time....The storm surge tonight at 9pm EST is key....Bad storm surge plus high tide and full moon. My town may fill up like a fish bowl. That stinks!

Oh...and I loved retards who go for a walk with baby strollers during the storm. NAHHHH that tree will not fall on you are your baby. Your fine. UNREAL! OHHHH and the people who are going by the river....which is cresting...and coming over the top...and taking pictures....WOW! The person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point level in people I think has gone up ALOT during the storm.

We are based 25 miles due north of Washington, DC. Moderate rain, little to no wind.....

so far :)

Wind starting to kick up in my neck of the woods.

Just glad I'm not in OC. Did you see some of the pics? Pier down, Mackeys underwater....

Does anyone in NYC know if street sweeping is suspended on tuesday?

To make a long story short - I'm in queens, my car's in brooklyn and public transit is suspended, leaving me no way to get to my car and move it if I need to. And I didn't want to assume that it's cancelled tomorrow just because it is today.