• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Sandy

245 posts in this topic

Storm seems to have blown past us I am about 2 miles inland from the South Shore of MA. Some low lying areas have flooded and the high tide is at Midnight so there will be a pretty big storm surge. 1 part of the next town over is under a couple feet of water already likely to be further under water later tonight...

The water should peak very shortly if it hasn't already in NYC. High tide is past, and the next cycle should be a bit lower. If there is no water on your block now, you most likely won't get any.

When the electric is restored is another question.

I'm hearing terrible things about the area around my summer house. Huge trees floating past as the gravel roads have turned into rivers. This particular house was built after the last one was completely destroyed by the Hurricane of 1938.

The ocean has met the bay in Long Beach and on Fire Island.

Inland CT wasn't too bad. I'm in Bristol (just outside of Hartford), and the worst was some sideways sheets of blasting rain (literally peeled the paint off part of my house). Managed to keep power the whole day--no flooding though. Coastline really took a helluva beating though.

Anyone else in the NYC area getting ridiculous phone calls at 11:30 at night, with children trying to sleep?

This is how a bureaucracy thinks, call residents during or after the worst part of the storm, and advise them to stay home. How stoopid can government be. I'll be sure to thank Bloomberg for his brilliant phone warning system. Perhaps his next home run will be the calls warning of death and taxes.

Keep being awesome NY. (thumbs u

Lost power at some point last night. Seems to have died down a bit though.

Basement flooded a little- not as bad as past storms. We put extra downspouts on our house a year or so ago. Unfortunately one of the pieces that takes the water away from the house fell off. We just re did the carpeting so here is hoping it dries alright.

If that is the worst for us then we got lucky. Looks bad further up north. Good luck and stay safe!

Well, it's over for me. Lost power around 7pm last night but it came back on around 2 am. No water in the basement. That was my biggest fear.

I'm inland, the CT shore got slammed by storm surge. :(

Spoke to my family this morning. It's not good. Parts of the Rockaway Beach area is up in flames. Dozens of homes on fire or destroyed by fire. In our old house the water was as high as the top step in the basement. Fortunately they tripped the main breaker to the house before the storm hit.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone.

Cleveland is getting hammered right now. Major power outages and a good portion of the side streets are flooded or without traffic signals. The sump pump seems to be keeping up with the rain so no flooding at my house - yet.

Cleveland is getting hammered right now. Major power outages and a good portion of the side streets are flooded or without traffic signals. The sump pump seems to be keeping up with the rain so no flooding at my house - yet.

They said that cities under the Great Lakes were going to have some trouble.

Anyone have any news on Buffalo, Chicago or Rochester?

Looks like the easy side of Manhattan got rocked. I have friends in Stuy Town saying they've got 4.5 feet of water on the street. In New York City. WTF.

Brooklyn is all good for the most part. Surreal seeing some of these photos of DUMBO, Red Hook, BK Heights and the western part of Williamsburg and Greenpoint. Just insane. Keep your families (and your comics!) safe.

Lost power for a little bit last evening, but otherwise no major problems here. I hope that the boardies touched by this storm are all safe and sound this morning.