• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading & Value Percentages for Raw Comics- advice on my chart please...

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm currently using ComicBase 16 (and love it BTW), but am not completely happy with the default grading options and associated percentage values.

My first problem is that there is no numerical grading system( that isn't CGC related) included in the program, so I had to make it up manually. I prefer numerical grades over ones like VF/NM, as they feel more subjective than numbers. anyway, using a few sources, I created a percentage value chart to be associated with the numerical grades. Please keep in mind that these values are for my personal use as I don't sell many comics. I'm sure a dealer's chart would be a little different.

I should note that many of the sites I sourced this information from gave percentage ranges for a given grade. This is all fine and dandy except many of the value ranges overlapped the next grade. This just seemed silly. With some many numerical ranges, I don't see why we can't nail it down.

I've taken a shot at it and I would like everyone to take a look and offer any corrections they feel should be there.

*I'm not addressing CGC graded values (as calculated by ComicBase) but hope to do so in a future post

COMIC GRADES AND VALUES - RAW

% OF NM VALUE

0.1 (CVLS)----1%

0.5 (POOR)---3%

1.0 (FR)--------6%

1.5 (FR/GD)---8%

1.8 (GD-)------9%

2.0 (GD)------10%

2.5 (GD+)-----12%

3.0 (GD/VG)--13%

3.5 (VG-)-----15%

4.0 (VG)------18%

4.5 (VG+)-----20%

5.0 (VG/FN)--25%

5.5 (FN-)------28%

6.0 (FN)-------30%

6.5 (FN+)------40%

7.0 (FN/VF)---50%

7.5 (VF-)------65%

8.0 (VF)-------75%

8.5 (VF+)------85%

9.0 (VF/NM)---90%

9.2 (NM-)------95%

9.4 (NM)-------100%

9.6 (NM+)------115%

9.8 (NM/MT)--125%

10.0(MINT)----150%

**source: Crazy Ed's Comics

You forgot 9.9

I don't know if you can apply a broad brush stroke for the upper grades - 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9, 10, or even for the mid to low ones either. I used ComicBase at one point, as well. I liked it but the values are useless, especially since markets vary for different periods, scarcity and overall marketability of a title.

If it were this easy, there would not be OPG or GPA

The problem is simple - a broad brush approach is inaccurate. Collector demand, item scarcity, age and even geography all play large roles in what price is paid. A percentage approach only holds up when the there is lots of demand and lots of copies available. Like say Amazing Spider-Man 129.

When there is lots of demand but no so many copies the percentages start collapsing at the mid to low end and then blow out at the higher grades. Do you think your 150% of 9.4 would hold for an AF15 in 10.0?

Even when there is not a lot of demand - but the book is really scarce - percentages can be all over the map. Some of the more ghastly (like electrocution or decapitation covers) precode horror books come to mind, where a small but zealous group are dying (pun intended) to own a copy, any copy.

ComicBase is a handy tool for keep track of one's collection, but the values are useless.

Well, like I said, this is for my own edification. A general ballpark figure of a comic's rough value. I'm trying to be reasonable with the percentages so as to not over-inflate a comics given ballpark value. That being said, I don't use it to value my comics, i consult Overstreet first and look at the market second.

So, that being said, are there any specific suggestions for my list that would make it more realistic in general terms? I'm open to other references that discuss the issue in detail.

By the way, I don't find all the values useless. I would say much of the time it's very sibilant with the market. I've only seen it break down on high-demand key issues like Hulk #181. I wrote them about it and said they were aware of the issue and are trying to add more market sources to make Comicbase more accurate.

Until then, i want to make my own list work for me without going over the top.

Here is the one I saw a little while back on the ComicBase site itself (I too use this program). It was not specifically endorsed by the company, but it was used by most who use the program at the time. Not sure how the % were calculated, but here you go. Much different from yours mostly in the higher grades...

COMIC GRADES AND VALUES - RAW

% OF NM VALUE

0.5 (POOR)---2%

1.0 (FR)--------8%

1.5 (FR/GD)---10%

1.8 (GD-)------11%

2.0 (GD)------13%

2.5 (GD+)-----14%

3.0 (GD/VG)--15%

3.5 (VG-)-----17%

4.0 (VG)------20%

4.5 (VG+)-----23%

5.0 (VG/FN)--25%

5.5 (FN-)------30%

6.0 (FN)-------33%

6.5 (FN+)------40%

7.0 (FN/VF)---50%

7.5 (VF-)------60%

8.0 (VF)-------85%

8.5 (VF+)------110%

9.0 (VF/NM)---160%

9.2 (NM-)------230%

9.4 (NM)-------400%

9.6 (NM+)------600%

9.8 (NM/MT)--1200%

9.9 (MT)--2600%

10.0(MINT)----2800%

Though the higher grades do get way out of whack, I find it unusual that a CGC 9.4 will sell for the same as a raw 9.4.

Comicbase is an awesome program and it is nice that u can program in ur own percentages. As others have mentioned, however, the values are not very meaningful. I've found them to only be based on what/if/when a comic sells on atomicavenue.com. Many folks dont sell using atomic avenue because u can't post pictures and the comic base price is listed with your comic for sell even if it is grossly inaccurate. Comic base claims they also use data from heritage auctions but I've yet to see much evidence. Regardless it's a great program for tracking.

Well, like I said, this is for my own edification. A general ballpark figure of a comic's rough value. I'm trying to be reasonable with the percentages so as to not over-inflate a comics given ballpark value. That being said, I don't use it to value my comics, i consult Overstreet first and look at the market second.

So, that being said, are there any specific suggestions for my list that would make it more realistic in general terms? I'm open to other references that discuss the issue in detail.

By the way, I don't find all the values useless. I would say much of the time it's very sibilant with the market. I've only seen it break down on high-demand key issues like Hulk #181. I wrote them about it and said they were aware of the issue and are trying to add more market sources to make Comicbase more accurate.

Until then, i want to make my own list work for me without going over the top.

Whatever you want to do that makes the hobby more enjoyable for you I think is great. However, you pursue an impossible task as far as values. Price spreads vary greatly according to age, demand, scarcity & geography. Overstreet has been tweaking this for four decades. He doesn't ask the advisers what the spread should be in general - he asks about specific books and periods of time. You cannot just pick a percentage range and expect it to hold up.

ComicBase needs to actually partner with a real pricing source. to even be in the ballpark. You might consider using an OPG and checking out actual sales on eBay and input your values manually. If you want ComicBase to reflect the value of your collection.

Also, if you are just doing raw books you might consider dropping anything above 9.4. Because above 9.4 the prices can really vary and jump - and no one pays the 9.6+ prices unless the book is certified & slabbed. Very, very few collectors/dealers have the rep that allows them to sell raw 9.6/9.8 books at the CGC graded prices.

Thanks for all the replies. In response to the second list of percentages posted, (from CB's site), that is for CGC graded books, hence the jump in prices. I hope to tackle that subject at another time.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I am already checking Overstreet and Ebay before I commit to a price. I don't sell much (ever), so the values are for my own amusement. I'll still check the thread to see if anyone has posted some of their own figure as I doubt I'm the only person who wants to do this.

I think ranges would better help you gauge possible price. As the market has no discrete cutoffs. As jazz man and Tony pointed out, the market changes. So rather than it being silly to have overlapping percentages across different grades it is actually logical and should better enable you to evaluate the possible up AND downside pice possibilities.

'Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd' Voltaire.

I think ranges would better help you gauge possible price. As the market has no discrete cutoffs. As jazz man and Tony pointed out, the market changes. So rather than it being silly to have overlapping percentages across different grades it is actually logical and should better enable you to evaluate the possible up AND downside pice possibilities.

'Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd' Voltaire.

Love Voltaire. Very appropriate quote. :golfclap: