• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT IS YOUR BEST and/or WORST comic purchase DEAL ????

131 posts in this topic

[quote

Back then art didn't bring much at all. I remember Josef Rubinstein almost begging people to buy X-Men pages at a con so he could break even on his table cost.I have a few covers that ran me $40-60 each from bronze books. Hey, I was just reading this post again and was wondering which covers you picked up for $40 - 60 back then. I have no idea how much original art is worth now, except that it is expensive.

Best

My sister lives in Mo.

She was going to something called the longest garage sale, down

south somewhere.

She called me an asked if I wanted some comics. That the guy had

cleaned out of an old house. I asked what they were she said bat-man

House of Secrets. There was a hole plastic container full.

So I picked them up for $75.00.

I have had some of them graded and will have some more graded.

They were all from the early 70’s.

Worst

When I was about 4 my cousin who lived on a farm in Mauston WI,

read comics to me. That was 1950. He had all of these comics that he

had read lined up along the wall. He just kept them there and as I got older

I would go up and read them. He liked super-heroes.

He passed away and I never when to my aunt’s after that.

About 25 years ago my dad who lived up there also called and

told me my aunt was going to sell her farm and move to an old peoples

home. I asked if I could go get the comics in the upstairs and was

told not to worry about the comics. They had already cleaned out the house and burn them.

My best deal and worst deal both involve Valiant books...

The worst...I traded a VF copy of Solar Gold Key #1 and a VF+ copy of # 2 for Harbinger 4 and 6...also, I paid $90.00 for a Magnus # 12 during the early nineties

The best...Within the last year I traded a stack of about 50 70's Batman and Superman books (all VG or worse, no keys) for a stack of Valiant Gold's, Red's, Plat's, VVSS's and pre-unitities, 3 Predator vs. Magnus Trades, including multiples of Rai 3, Magnus 12 and Solar 10 and ended up flipping most of them on ebay for about $2000.00

Another of my worst deals was when I had purchased my new house and was cleaning out some stuff...I decided to get out of comics and had a few boxes of books at the garage sale (I was out of the loop for so long I didn't realize the prices some of the books commanded)...I ended up selling 4 boxes (3 silver/bronze and 1 modern) for under 400.00

I remember Tomb of Dracula 1 VF, Detective 400 VF+, Iron Man 1-50 avg F, Marvel Team-Up 1-50 avg F-, early Caps and Hulks, Cap 117 in NM-...if only I had rekindled my interest in comics sooner...hopefully, at least, it was a member of the boards who took me for all my good books!!! thumbsup2.gif

BEST DEAL:

In 2002 purchased a Fair unrestored copy of Batman # 1 and Fair/Good copy of Detective 29 and paid $5000 for both books.

Sold the Bat 1 for $4800 the next week and sold the Detective 29 on eBay for $6200 the following week

Net profit $6000..... thumbsup2.gif

WORST DEAL:

Purchased a VF/NM copy of BLOOD IS THE HARVEST in an old bookstore for $10.00 in early 1979 and flipped it a week later to a local dealer for $100.00 and thought I made out like a bandit.

The next month the 1979 Overstreet came out and listed it at $1200 in mint condition and the A@@wipe dealer would not give the book back to me. I was only 15 yrs old and was sick about that deal.. the only upside is that I made TEN times my investment in one week.

So, this you actually never had a deal that hurt you financially then, eccomic?

Worst Deal:

Me, sold off My run of Batman and Detective in 92. (I believe they started in the early 70's and ended around Dec 89) remember having at least NM Adams books. I got about $300 in store credit.

Best, well I flipped a Swamp Thing #1 for and $20 on top of what I paid for it. That's really the best. I don't like to sell things.

Purchased a VF/NM copy of BLOOD IS THE HARVEST in an old bookstore for $10.00 in early 1979 and flipped it a week later to a local dealer for $100.00 and thought I made out like a bandit.

The next month the 1979 Overstreet came out and listed it at $1200 in mint condition and the A@@wipe dealer would not give the book back to me. I was only 15 yrs old and was sick about that deal.. the only upside is that I made TEN times my investment in one week.

If the A@@wipe dealer had given the book back to you, can we assume you would have gone back to the bookstore you bought it from for $10 the week previous and given it back to them? smile.gif

This is a great thread. I love these stories, even if some of them seem unbelievable. Here's mine:

BEST #1

In 1992-93, I bought a lot of the early Valiants as they came out, spent about $50 for them, then sold them in Nov 93 for $800. I took the $800 and bought an All-Star #8 in VG for $400, and an Incredible Hulk #1 in G/VG for $400. I later sold the Hulk 1 for $700, but I still have the All Star 8.

BEST #2

Bought a Lois Lane #70 in NM for $3 in 1992. CGC'd it a couple of years ago and it came back 9.4. Sold it on Ebay for about $770. Probably worth a little more now.

BEST #3

About 1997, in a cigar shop of all places, my girlfriend spotted a stack of comics in the back. There was a sign that said "$5 Each". I took a look, and it was a stack of Disney's from the late 40's and early 50's. They were all in plastic bags, but they were so dirty and yellow that I couldn't tell what condition they're in. At the time, I knew very little about Disney comics, but I knew enough to recognize Four Color #386, 456, and 495 as being Uncle Scrooge #1, 2, and 3. I took them out and they were in VG to F condition. I offered the guy $100 for the stack, and we settled on $125. I took them home and examined all the rest, and found that most were in VF. The rest of the stack consisted of Pluto #1 & 2, Goofy #1, and about 40 WDC&S. Guide value in 1997 for the stack was abot $1500. I still have them.

WORST:

Around 1995 I traded most of my key Marvel SA books for EC's. I was bored with the Marvels, and EC was new to me. I did get some nice EC's, including some of the scarcer ones, but the Marvel's have appreciated much more in the past 11 years. Oh well. I still have the ECs.

Hmmm.....a VF+ to a 6.0, eh? Icky....which makes me ask, what do you all think of Metro's grading for raw GA books? Ive got my eye on a few of their GA books in the $500+ range. I've read in the forums that they are generally pretty spot-on when it comes to books in the $100+ zone, but I believe that was pertaining primarily to BA. Any opinions about their GA grades?

--shrunken

Make sure you see large scans! Fc and Bc. Ask to see the All Select 9 they have as I think a 5.0 The bc looks destroyed(water damage). I was suprised at the overgrading on that one.

Best deal

When I was 21, I went to a small convention about 25 miles from my house and I was walking around and I saw this one guys table that had comics with no price on them. I pulled out a Hulk 6, X-men 2, Spidey 10 all about a Fine minus. I asked how much not expecting to afford it. He said 50 bucks!!!!!!!!!!! I was like what?? I gave him the 50 bucks and ran out of there because I thought this was like candid camera and I would have to give the books back.

Worst deal

A few years ago, I bought a Marvel Mystery 92 on Ebay. I flipped through the pages and put it way because I dont read my expensive books. Then about 6 months later, I decided that I wanted to look at the Witness story. Guess what? There was no Witness story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao I can laugh about this now but it was a learning experience. In case you are wondering, it was a low grade copy. I think I spent a little less than 300 for it.

Best deal

He said 50 bucks!!!!!!!!!!! I was like what?? I gave him the 50 bucks and ran out of there because I thought this was like candid camera and I would have to give the books back.

Worst deal

I can laugh about this now but it was a learning experience. In case you are wondering, it was a low grade copy. I think I spent a little less than 300 for it.

I would have ran out of there too. That's a great deal...

ARRGHH....too bad about the MM92....I'll bet you page count every book from now on.

Got a 6.0 copy of Funnies 64 as part of a collection which I still have.

Bought a collection of WDCS 1-100 and I still have issue 1, 2, and 3

Bought an AF 15 7.0 (blue label) from Showcase New England for $7000 and sold it for $8000 a year later.

Although this isn't a high end book, I managed to get this book off eBay from Ira Meshbane(sp?) for OSPG Fine. It's a very hard book to find and to get it for 135 bucks seemed like a dream. I've been offered 3 times that but I'm not really motivated to sell. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

menace5.jpg

Just got this for 20$$

Canadian Whites would be my focus if I had $$$

I imagine 20.00 is a good deal for this ? I have no idea the value of the Canadian White published comics.

Pretty specialized group I guess...I am not exactly sure on

the value either....but just FINDING one was a good

deal to me.

Just got this for 20$$

Canadian Whites would be my focus if I had $$$

Actually I don't think this is a Canadian "white" per say but a Canadian reprint if I'm not mistaken. If you google "Canadian Golden Age Comics, 1941-1946" there is some background on these:

"the majority of pre-1945 Canadian comic books -- but unlike the full-colour US comics -- had colour covers and black and white interiors (although the first few issues of Better featured some colour), thus giving rise to the term "whites". As well, they often relied on serial stories to convince kids to spend their hard-earned dimes, issue after issue"

I believe this issue was reprinted in 1949 by Superior or Super Comics?