• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT IS YOUR BEST and/or WORST comic purchase DEAL ????

131 posts in this topic

My best deal was buying a Batman 36 off a CBG ad that is just plan amazing.

Here is a scan.

batman_36.jpg

WOW .....9.6 ?.....looks like that one has one of the awesome Professor Nichols time travel stories...but I'd be too afraid to open it and find out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yep,by Superior Comics.They did the EC ones as well.I thought

that they were issued at the same time?At least the dozen or so

Canadian issues I have are marked same dates.I thought that this one

may qualify as a white because of the missing colours on the cover.

The picture in the Gerber guide has the top half coloured green,as well

as some colour on the reporter.Ah well,if not a white so be it,I am still crazy

for it!Thanks for the information though,it cleared up some stuff for me.

Another of the companies from my 40's50's editions is Star Comics

in Toronto.

Still have that G.R.?

Jimmers

Got a 6.0 copy of Funnies 64 as part of a collection which I still have.

Bought a collection of WDCS 1-100 and I still have issue 1, 2, and 3

Bought an AF 15 7.0 (blue label) from Showcase New England for $7000 and sold it for $8000 a year later.

SUPER COOL....what was the story on that WDCS collection. Bought it from a dealer or collector ?

Maybe you could post a group shot of the three ??

How much $$$ does an Amazing Fantasy 18 7.0 go for now ??

Although this isn't a high end book, I managed to get this book off eBay from Ira Meshbane(sp?) for OSPG Fine. It's a very hard book to find and to get it for 135 bucks seemed like a dream. I've been offered 3 times that but I'm not really motivated to sell. GOD BLESS...

menace5.jpg

WOW....nice MENACE ...you never see that black cover in Fine or better.

You need to ding up the spine real heavily so it will bring out the cobwebs that all the other copies have...

TERRIFIC SCORE !!

If you ever take a pic of the splash page....please post it. (thumbs u

Best deal for me would have to be when I bought a Hit Comics #5 G/VG for $250, Human Torch #5 GD+ for $150, and the Detective #48 double cover CGC 8.0 for $1200 all from the same seller.

Still have the HIT # 5 ??? That's a great cover.

GREAT DEAL on those comics.

Just got this for 20$$

Canadian Whites would be my focus if I had $$$

Actually I don't think this is a Canadian "white" per say but a Canadian reprint if I'm not mistaken. If you google "Canadian Golden Age Comics, 1941-1946" there is some background on these:

"the majority of pre-1945 Canadian comic books -- but unlike the full-colour US comics -- had colour covers and black and white interiors (although the first few issues of Better featured some colour), thus giving rise to the term "whites". As well, they often relied on serial stories to convince kids to spend their hard-earned dimes, issue after issue"

I believe this issue was reprinted in 1949 by Superior or Super Comics?

Reminds me....I bought a Canadian Reprint of JUNIOR comics....(with all of the Feldstein GGA excellence on ebay)....maybe for $10.00 and sold it shortly thereafter for about $200....not a bad deal....

I wish I had a picture of it.

Color Cover....B&W interior.

Haven't seen one since.

My best deal was buying a Batman 36 off a CBG ad that is just plan amazing.

Here is a scan.

WOW .....9.6 ?.....looks like that one has one of the awesome Professor Nichols time travel stories...but I'd be too afraid to open it and find out. GOD BLESS...

That is impressive.

Do you remember how you felt when you opened the package and saw (easily) one of the best existing copies on the planet ???

What were the specifics in the advertisement...how long ago was the purchase ??

I miss the old CBG...I started getting them about 1984. I still have a big box full of 1984-1987 issues.

My best purchase was a 2fer: I think I snagged my 5.0 CDNP #22 just in time. I bought it and the top census 7.5 Murder Inc. together for $900. For me it worked out great because the CDNP is among the most expensive books I needed (and one of my favorites) and a month after the seller accepted the deal a 7.0 sold for $4400 and four months later a 5.5 went for $2,200. If I had waited a few days I would likely have never owned a CDNP in this nice of shape. I doubt I'll pay the cost to upgrade now.

I was also fortunate in that the price bump allowed me to sell my undercopies at a slight profit instead of taking a bath, because I thought I had overpaid. Over the course of two weeks I bought three copies, with this one being the nicest.

Crime-DNP-22-50.jpg

Murder-Inc-1-CGC-75.jpg

Worst deal: My first marriage.

Bought an AF 15 7.0 (blue label) from Showcase New England for $7000 and sold it for $8000 a year later.

SUPER COOL....what was the story on that WDCS collection. Bought it from a dealer or collector ?

I think the AF 15 peaked at about $30k last year and is probably about 25k now. Hey Apple stock was selling for about 15 bucks a share when I bought it and it's at 190 now. We can always play shoulda-woulda-coulda.

Here's the WDCS group shot of 1-33. It was a collectors son in law (father in law collector had passed away) locally who called a bunch of dealers but an in person money order in hand persuaded him. All unrestored and #1 came back a 5.0 White.

wdcs2old.jpg

I think the AF 15 peaked at about $30k last year and is probably about 25k now. Hey Apple stock was selling for about 15 bucks a share when I bought it and it's at 190 now. We can always play shoulda-woulda-coulda.

Here's the WDCS group shot of 1-33. It was a collectors son in law (father in law collector had passed away) locally who called a bunch of dealers but an in person money order in hand persuaded him. All unrestored and #1 came back a 5.0 White.

wdcs2old.jpg

Very cool Ducks and you bought a great apple. :cool:

It is hard to determine which deal was my worst. There have been so many but I think it was selling my Spiderman collection to the Curious Book Store in East Lansing. I got less than $50 for the first 35 issues, including AF 15, in fine or better condition back in 1972. Pretty dumb. My reason is worse. My girl friend was touring Italy and France with my old roommate and her luggage was stolen which contained her traveler checks. She asked me for money and I sold my collection and other things to try to get some extra cash. She said thanks when she came back but dumped me, and my former roommate who remained in Europe until he died a few years ago. She never paid me back because someone stole her bike which she left at my house while she was on vacation.

doh!

Second worst deal was trading my Batman, Flash, JLA and Green Lantern collections (which included all of the early issues) for Disney Comics back in 1980. Disney was over priced and the silver age comics were undervalued. Ouch. I only kept the Detective, Showcase, MIS, Atom and Hawkman comics. Most of my remaining atomic age Batman comics disappeared recently when my house was on the market. I am currently trying to rebuild that part of my collection.

:frustrated:

Third worst deal was selling Thrilling 41 to Terry for less than $200. It has been priced at $5,000 recently. I would like that one back and my X-men 1, which went for a FC 199. I sold my Suspense 3 (fair and possibly incomplete) for $1350 but I always thought it was overpriced. doh!

:screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

Here is a funny story about Curious book shop in East Lansing Michigan. It was owned by a guy named Ray Walsh and it was located in a basement under a huge real bookshop/ magazine store.

When Conan # 1 (1971) came out he thought he could corner the market by buying all of the copies in the store above him and charge $5.00 each (since he thought he was the only guy in town). As soon as the bookstore sold him what was on the rack, he left , went back down to his store and put them out for sale. They promptly restocked and had HUNDREDS to restock from. His sales were not what he expected......

Here is a funny story about Curious book shop in East Lansing Michigan. It was owned by a guy named Ray Walsh and it was located in a basement under a huge real bookshop/ magazine store.

When Conan # 1 (1971) came out he thought he could corner the market by buying all of the copies in the store above him and charge $5.00 each (since he thought he was the only guy in town). As soon as the bookstore sold him what was on the rack, he left , went back down to his store and put them out for sale. They promptly restocked and had HUNDREDS to restock from. His sales were not what he expected......

Ray did business there for quite a while. He had a shop above what is now the new Curious Book Store (or was in 1990) and he also had a shop on Grand River where he sold hardback and paperback books and comics. Ray lived on a shoe string. I guess he eventually sold out. My comics probably supported him for a while but he seems to have donated my Alter Ego issues (5-9) to the Michigan State Library.

bb

Best deal for me would have to be when I bought a Hit Comics #5 G/VG for $250, Human Torch #5 GD+ for $150, and the Detective #48 double cover CGC 8.0 for $1200 all from the same seller.

Still have the HIT # 5 ??? That's a great cover.

GREAT DEAL on those comics.

Nope, wish I did. Sold all three books to fund for my grails. i believe the Hit #5 belongs to a boardie now. Forgot who has it