• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT IS YOUR BEST and/or WORST comic purchase DEAL ????

131 posts in this topic

Although this isn't a high end book, I managed to get this book off eBay from Ira Meshbane(sp?) for OSPG Fine. It's a very hard book to find and to get it for 135 bucks seemed like a dream. I've been offered 3 times that but I'm not really motivated to sell. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

menace5.jpg

WOW....nice MENACE ...you never see that black cover in Fine or better.

You need to ding up the spine real heavily so it will bring out the cobwebs that all the other copies have...

TERRIFIC SCORE !!

If you ever take a pic of the splash page....please post it. (thumbs u

Here it is....and by the way, if you like that old Atlas Menace stuff, Marvel Masterworks just collected reprints of ALL 11 issues in a deluxe hardcover....probably about $ 40 on amazon. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

MENACEA.jpg

My best deal and find is an Action 13.

action13-2.jpg

and the fact that you only paid $100 makes it even better :baiting:

I wish...but I did manage to add a raw SC22 5.0 for $200 (20 years ago) and a raw ASM 77 9.8 for $75 (one year ago). I'm sure you have many more great purchases. :headbang:

Reminds me....I bought a Canadian Reprint of JUNIOR comics....(with all of the Feldstein GGA excellence on ebay)....maybe for $10.00 and sold it shortly thereafter for about $200....not a bad deal....

Was the the Deena & Gwenny comic, by Bell Publications? I think the cover showed them outside a theater? I think I saw you sell that...

In the late 90s, I scored a Meet Corliss Archer 1 and a Famous Crimes 1 off Ebay from the same seller (described as NM) for just below guide. Both were part of my first CGC submissions, and both came back 9.4 blue. Not the best deal I ever got, but probably one of the best Ebay deals I've scored.

I don't know if many of you browse in antique shops, but occasionally they'll have comics. And it's -- in my experience -- usually the same: books in awful condition priced as NM.

But a few years ago, I saw a golden age Human Torch in the display case of a local "junque" store. I asked to see it, expecting it to be trashed, but it's in great shape. It was marked at $50, but as the guy is handing it to me he's saying "I could probably do a little better on that." It came back as CGC 7.5 -- sold it later for about $450. Alas, my only real success story.

Years ago, I was at an auction in rural Oregon. We finally get to a large box of SA goodies, in wonderful shape. Probably 200 books. But they don't take credit cards, only cash, and within 10 seconds the bidding is at $1500. Which is a lot more that I had on me. At least I learned to inquire beforehand about payment methods.

gozer

-------------------------------------

Now I...I finally have time to do what I've always wanted: write the great

American novel. Mine is about a futuristic amusement park where dinosaurs

are brought to life through advanced cloning techniques. I call it

"Billy and the Cloneasaurus."

My best Comic Book deal remains the Green Lantern 76 which I purchased in 1991 from an ad in the Comic Buyers' Guide. The dealer claimed it was in Near Mint Shape so I pulled the trigger. I paid $125.00 for the book. I had the book slabbed back in 2004 and it came back a CGC 9.4 OW/W pages. I think the last sale on Comiclink for the same condition and same PQ was around 8 grand.

Another great comic book purchase was the Batman 69 (Catwoman Cover) that I bought for about $700.00 from JHV Collectibles back in 1997 that I had slabbed back in the summer of 2003. The book came back a CGC 9.2 with White Pages! I know the CGC 9.4 copy sold for 5 grand but that was back in 2004 or 2005. Hard to say what my copy would go for if I place it on the market, but I'm assuming around 4-6 grand.

One of my worst purchases was buying a JLA 30 (Justice Society Appearance ) raw 9.6 or at least that's what the dealer claimed. I think I paid around $800.00 for it ( I bought it with two other books so they were packaged together). Anyway, the book came back from CGC a 9.4 OW/W pages. When you consider the last Comiclink sale on the book was $3900.00 in 9.6 and the GPA for a 9.4 is $700.00, I didn't quite make out considering I bought the book 4 years ago. BTW, I'm not really upset with the dealer; he's actually a dealer who has sold me some wonderful books over the year, but it just shows you can't win 'em all!

My best Comic Book deal remains the Green Lantern 76 which I purchased in 1991 from an ad in the Comic Buyers' Guide. The dealer claimed it was in Near Mint Shape so I pulled the trigger. I paid $125.00 for the book. I had the book slabbed back in 2004 and it came back a CGC 9.4 OW/W pages. I think the last sale on Comiclink for the same condition and same PQ was around 8 grand.

Another great comic book purchase was the Batman 69 (Catwoman Cover) that I bought for about $700.00 from JHV Collectibles back in 1997 that I had slabbed back in the summer of 2003. The book came back a CGC 9.2 with White Pages! I know the CGC 9.4 copy sold for 5 grand but that was back in 2004 or 2005. Hard to say what my copy would go for if I place it on the market, but I'm assuming around 4-6 grand.

One of my worst purchases was buying a JLA 30 (Justice Society Appearance ) raw 9.6 or at least that's what the dealer claimed. I think I paid around $800.00 for it ( I bought it with two other books so they were packaged together). Anyway, the book came back from CGC a 9.4 OW/W pages. When you consider the last Comiclink sale on the book was $3900.00 in 9.6 and the GPA for a 9.4 is $700.00, I didn't quite make out considering I bought the book 4 years ago. BTW, I'm not really upset with the dealer; he's actually a dealer who has sold me some wonderful books over the year, but it just shows you can't win 'em all!

Wow, well done on that Bronze GL 76. (thumbs u

I have had a lot of good deals too. Wally sold me 1100 golden age comics at $12 each. Tom Gordon sold me a bunch of low grade golden age comics for half of guide. The batch included Human Torch 13 and Catman 20. Thanks Tom and Wally.

2370773039_730271e2f7_b.jpg

And from Wally

2231384135_1774c2345c_b.jpg

awesome stories....interesting reading, isn't it ??

I started a thread a few years back about someone who hit the BIN on a SWEET GA Green Lantern # 1.

I think it was a Buy-it-Now of only $2500 and it looked like it was VF minus or a strong FINE PLUS.

I'll see if I can dig up the link.

awesome stories....interesting reading, isn't it ??

I started a thread a few years back about someone who hit the BIN on a SWEET GA Green Lantern # 1.

I think it was a Buy-it-Now of only $2500 and it looked like it was VF minus or a strong FINE PLUS.

I'll see if I can dig up the link.

I hope you can ship me the clocks I paid for over three weeks ago. This is becoming a worst clock deal for me.

Ouch....

Totally my fault for not keeping you more abreast of the situation.

How'd you like the clocks, once they finally arrived ??

FIVE YEARS ON, and STILL the best EBAY deal I've ever seen.........

THE LINK to the thread THAT has the BEST deal I've PERSONALLY EVER SEEN on ebay....I'm glad my image links still work....

I don't have many "best" deals as I tend to get aggressive when I want something and tend to also sell it for what I have in it or at a loss b/c I just don't really care all that much. I bought a raw More Fun something or other, can't recall the #, on ebay for like $800 maybe. I slabbed it, stuck it in a CL auction and got like $1400 or something. That was pretty good.

I have too many "worst" deals to even begin to pick just one. lol

C'mon .... does any of your WORST deals compare to MINE...from the first page....ME passing on the DITKO PAGES (AAAAAAAAAaaaarrrrrgggghhhh !!!!!!)

If you had to pick just TWO...(2) of your worst deals. What and why ?

I love hearing these stories.

I can't think of any really outstanding deals although I have a few that turned out okay. If we are talking about passing on something. It would have to be when I was offered the entire Mile High Cat-Man run back in the early-mid 80s. No way I could have afforded all of them but I should have bought more than I did. I bought the #13 which I still have and kick myself for not grabbing a few more. They were beautiful books.

Ouch....

Totally my fault for not keeping you more abreast of the situation.

How'd you like the clocks, once they finally arrived ??

FIVE YEARS ON, and STILL the best EBAY deal I've ever seen.........

THE LINK to the thread THAT has the BEST deal I've PERSONALLY EVER SEEN on ebay....I'm glad my image links still work....

It's not a bad clock deal after all.Very nice...clicking and ticking very well (thumbs u Anyone who would like a clock made...ask ajaxfarrell.