• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny book of the year

335 posts in this topic

I looked up the definition of "newstand fresh" and all it had was a picture of this book. :o

ff2.jpg

I looked up the definition of "newstand fresh" and all it had was a picture of this book. :o

ff2.jpg

Sweet mama, that is fine !!!!! :takeit:

(worship) [font:Times New Roman]Yep, that's a pretty one.

At one time I owned a copy of FF#2. I can't recall the book ever looking that nice and I bought mine new off a spinner rack! [/font]

ff2.jpg

Sweet mama, that is fine !!!!! :takeit:

(worship) [font:Times New Roman]Yep, that's a pretty one.

At one time I owned a copy of FF#2. I can't recall the book ever looking that nice and I bought mine new off a spinner rack! [/font]

and you can tell that the scan has not been manniped - simply dazzling.

It will indeed be ironic if a Silver Age book turns out to be our book of the year!

It's not very likely that I'll be topping these three in the next couple of months.

For starters I got my first GA 9.8. A Church copy with Hogarth Tarzan.

Sparkler050Churchfc.jpg

Next is one of the biggest comic grails for John Carter of Mars fans. The coolest JG cover by John Coleman Burroughs and easily the rarest. In a decade of aggressive searching I know of 5 copies outside of bound editions and I've owned three of them. I thought that the movie would finally bring some hg copies out of the woodwork. It brought out two copies---this one and a GD-VG one.

Funnies36CGC70fc.jpg

Even more scarce is this Golden Age Conan comic published in Mexico in 1953. This issue was not even known to exist until 2011. I know of the existence of one other copy besides this one. These Mexican Conan comics have achieved something like mythical status among REH collectors since their existence became vaguely known in the 70's. I've done quite a bit of research on these curious books and I'll have an article about them in the next Comic Book Quarterly.

58cuentosdeabuelito1953sm.jpg

58cuentosdeabuelito1953intsm.jpg

Thought I'd post my three picks as a sort of :bump: for this thread:

Coming in at #3 is More Fun #72. Not a high grade copy, but has some sentimental value to me. Not this particular copy (as some of you may recall, I had a lot of comics stolen in a burglary in 2010; while I've recovered most, I'm still missing my run of More Funs).

More Fun #72 was the first More Fun I ever bought and the first U-boat cover I ever had (kind of a collecting niche for me). I'm pleased to have one back in my collection.

morefun72.jpg