• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Yup... Should of waited though... patience is a virtue... used it to buy a lot of Cerebus File Copies... something I really wanted but still could have used the money to cover the whole lot...
For me this recent demand for this book couldn't have come at a better time. If this book starts to bring in $2000 at auction, I'll sell mine so fast your head would spin. :insane:

Doesn't this market scare anyone other than me? I am seriously asking this question. This does (as someone already said) defy all logic and reason.

"Oh, let's wait until they announce Episode 7 then I will buy a copy of Star Wars #1 in 9.8 at a highly inflated price?"

Where were all these people when you could get one for about $400 in 9.8?

Truly astounding...

Doesn't this market scare anyone other than me? I am seriously asking this question. This does (as someone already said) defy all logic and reason.

"Oh, let's wait until they announce Episode 7 then I will buy a copy of Star Wars #1 in 9.8 at a highly inflated price?"

Truly astounding...

Dude, Ep VII was announced back in 2012, not a recent tthing.

Truly astounding...

Yes, and everyone waited until now (after the trailer debuts no less) to buy one? This doesn't alarm anyone?

There are literally tons of these sitting ungraded as this was a massively speculated book back in the day. I am not saying they are all in 9.8, but speculation has taken hold of this market and when it corrects it is not going to be pleasant.

Truly astounding...

Yes, and everyone waited until now (after the trailer debuts no less) to buy one? This doesn't alarm anyone?

There are literally tons of these sitting ungraded as this was a massively speculated book back in the day. I am not saying they are all in 9.8, but speculation has taken hold of this market and when it corrects it is not going to be pleasant.

Do you have you one? :popcorn:

$1,703….

I think everyone saying negative things about this book are spraying a little hatorade… bottom line is the people buying this book are not on this forum… so; basing logic from that stand point… sure a boardie can argue all they want… bottom line is… the book is making record sales… the book is hot… as evidence by recent sales… base your logic on that… there are 250 or so blue label CGC 9.8's in two months lets see if it goes from 250-1500 in 9.8… I doubt that… base your logic on right now...

Edited by Snikt!1988

Truly astounding...

Do you have you one? :popcorn:

Did you bother to read what I originally wrote in this very thread? I have about 2 or 3 of these in 9.8 bought many, many years ago. I think I paid about $300-$400 each if not less? They were bought graded though...

WD #1 has 650 in 9.8… It has consistently been a 2k book…

NM 98 has 1500… and has been selling for record numbers…

things that defy logic happen all the time… this book is now a 1k and up book… Thats based on fact… not "the factors" one can argue against it…

.35 cent variants of SW #1 are the biggest book of the Bronze Age…

There are 3 films that are lined up…

I sold mine for 1100 bc a boardie had interest… and I felt now was the time… I knew there where a lot of lower grade listings in the past but 9.8s dried up… I sold mine 30 mins after listing…

I will be willing to bet as well as the boar die waiting to sell his; that this book remains up there… with the new series and JSC variant selling out at my LCC theres definitely interest in this book now...

Edited by Snikt!1988

WD #1 has 650 in 9.8… It has consistently been a 2k book…

NM 98 has 1500… and has been selling for record numbers…

things that defy logic happen all the time… this book is now a 1k and up book… Thats based on fact… not "the factors" one can argue against it…

.35 cent variants of SW #1 are the biggest book of the Bronze Age…

3 films that are lined up…

I sold mine for 1100 bc a boardie had interest… and I felt now was the time… I knew there where a lot of lower grade listings in the past but 9.8s dried up… I sold mine 30 mins after listing…

Sale figures are based in the past tense, and are not current. However, you are correct. They are still based on fact. What we are discussing (I don't think anyone is arguing) is what the future holds for this book. If the book goes from $300-$400 to $1,000+ and then drops back down to say $500; where does that leave the buyer at $1,000+?

Transformers #1 was once a very sought after book as well in 9.8. It came down in price after the 'buzz' of the movie wore thin.

side note: Wolverine #1 JSC Deadpool variant have 39 Blue Label 9.8s… It should be a $12,500 book based on the market of comics right now…

there are 5 known Wolverine 145 Bone Claw Errors graded at 9.6… That's a 90k book right there alone…

Edited by Snikt!1988

The $1703 price was high compared to very recent GPA's but honestly didn't shock me. When others were shelling out hundreds for just one raw new series variant it may have justified the selling price to some since it's the original #1 and decades old.

Only way I can wrap my head around it anyway. I'm sure the movie on its way plays a part and buyers are trying to get it now before the movie is released as well. Yet like 9.8 said the movies been in the works for many years.

Another buy it now STAR WARS #1 in CGC 9.8 popped up on ebay for $1,699. I wonder if it will sell at that price? hm

You would think the under bidder on the record setting auction would be interested in this second issue. I'm surprised at how quickly the CGC 9.8s dried up on eBay. Almost all of last year saw 5 or more copies of this comic listed at any given time! I am also curious to see if the other grades see a rise.

I decided to add a Trending page to my blog. I'm thinking at the end of every month, I will write a report and add sales of note to the page. The report for January is complete:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/p/trending.html

I'm hoping to just report facts and not let my personal bias seep into the reports. That is hard when reporting on the fiasco surrounding the Star Wars #1 Hot Topic variant. But then, that is what the editorial blogs will be for. :grin:

Edited by rjrjr